SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    SB387/HB425 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - Ban on Private Gun Ownership

HB425/SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms"
    These bills criminalize the possession of all unserialized firearms made after 1968 and any "unfinished frames or receivers" effective 1/1/2023.
    Current owners, at their own cost, would need an FFL who provides marking services (FFL 07) to serialize every affected gun by 1/1/2023 to be in compliance. The serialization is prescribed in the bill to require the FFL's first three and last five numbers then a hyphen, and then "another number." Violators face up to 3 years of imprisonment and up to a $10,000 fine and forfeit gun rights. Each violation is a separate offense and the government doesn't need to demonstrate that violators intended to break the law.

FAQs Here!
    MSI's Official Testimony: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...-and-sb387-public-safety-untraceable-firearms

House Bill 425 was heard on 2/9
    Watch it here: https://youtu.be/AXCRfR8avOw?t=3207

3/4: The Judiciary Committee has given HB425 a favorable report along party lines, 14-7.

Senate Bill 387 was heard on 2/16
    Watch it here: https://youtu.be/ySL5G8uCVl8?t=9756

FJ95ct9X0AALRT8

FJ95e1fXoAUGtSt

FJ95hQHXwAAnGox

FJ95jIiWUAEaKwN

FJ95ncwWYAsZMW3

FJ95qNfXMAcE_QK

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That says it doesn't apply to firearms made before 1968. (unless I'm reading that incorrectly which is entirely possible) 5-702
    It's still a POS bill however.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms"
    The bill criminalizes the possession of all unserialized firearms made before 1968 and any "unfinished frames or receivers" effective 1/1/2023.
    Current owners, at their own cost, would need an FFL who provides marking services to serialize every affected gun by 1/1/2023 to be in compliance. The serialization is prescribed in the bill to require the FFL's first three and last five numbers then a hyphen, and then "another number." Violators face up to 3 years of imprisonment and up to a $10,000 fine and forfeit gun rights. Each violation is a separate offense.

Read it in MSI's tracker here: https://airtable.com/shrisaCzIZOxrXF46/tblwdSr2zmZtmdKob/recA3yAKSpKGleNwr

It does not criminalize possession of all unserialized firearms made BEFORE 1968. Section 5-702(1) specifically exempts those made BEFORE 1968.

It does criminalize possession of all unserialized firearms made AFTER 1968.

May 13, 2005
    So, I think a great engraving decoration for a gun would be to engrave the entire gun with random numbers. In addition to this new requirement set of numbers mixed in with them, of course. That would look good.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    So if this passes that means the State of MD is requiring its citizens to break federal law to be in compliance with state law.

They're trying to do it with the cannabis cards now

Well we want a law so you can have an HQL card and a medical card

That's illegal under federal law guys

They don't care when its convenient for them

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Hypothetically, if I finished an 80% and have already put my own S/N and ATF required markings on it, where would that fall under the new law?

If I 3D print a handgun frame that contains no metal in it (Nylon perhaps), how would an FFL make an engraving that would be considered durable?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Hypothetically, if I finished an 80% and have already put my own S/N and ATF required markings on it, where would that fall under the new law?

No, the proposed law states it has to be performed by an FFL (which is currently illegal under federal law).

If I 3D print a handgun frame that contains no metal in it (Nylon perhaps), how would an FFL make an engraving that would be considered durable?

No, ATF regs state the serial has to be engraved on metal at a certain depth and size.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    And no FFL is going to legally be able to engrave them. Thus, the new bill proposed is a catch 22 for all existing homemade firearms.

Sounds like a slam-dunk lawsuit to me barring a braindead activist judge. The state can't legally make you break the law and one could argue this is entrapment.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Sounds like a slam-dunk lawsuit to me barring a braindead activist judge. The state can't legally make you break the law and one could argue this is entrapment.

Now all we need is people who can explain it to the MGA in a coherent manner...not that this is a guarantee of a positive outcome. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom