• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OzGoodShot

Mar 3, 2020
    Silver Spring MD
    Hello all,

I completed HQL training and prints, etc @ Gilberts aprox 6 weeks ago. Everything has come back in the mail, all processed, and good to go.

However, with all the complications we're facing right now, I haven't been able to get to the next step.

I would like to :

1. Rent the model of handgun I am most interested in, and get some supervised time on the range with it.

2. Bring along my wife, so that she can at least see the gun and get some sense of what it would be like to get trained for it's use.

3. Do all of this at an outdoor range if possible(?)

By the way, the handgun I am most interested in is the Sig Sauer P320. But not super important.

Can anyone advise as to how to get all of this started? My long term goal was to make my first handgun purchase as informed a decision as possible, with both my wife and I signing off on it (a view to sharing the learning experience with the same gun). I have been asking questions wherever possible, but have not made any progress yet.

Cheers, and enjoy this beautiful day!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It might have been sort of implied , but what is your level of handgun shooting experience/ knowledge ?

If you are starting basically from scratch , you should start with something like NRA Basic Pistol . During the zombie apocalypse , there might a dearth of normally group classes , then perhap a good Instructor with wide knowledge would schedule a 2 on 1 class .

OzGoodShot

Mar 3, 2020
    Silver Spring MD
    Thanks for the comment. So far, with the Gilberts HQL class completed, I have hit the basics of safety (granted their timeframe with the HQL is pretty minimalist, combo of class and putting just 5 rounds onto a target). I'm open to ideas, but it seems to me that the next step would be to get range time and become comfortable with at least one model of handgun. Does that make sense? I like the idea of being outdoors, mostly for the health aspect right now. I keep circling around to find an open range, but so far the only one within driving distance does not do rentals (Hap Baker Firearms Facility).

Would you agree that owning a handgun is something to take on early, or does it work better just to seek out rentals for the first few months?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    unless you Both will be jointly learning together from the Instructor simultaneously . If you foresee imparting knowledge to the wife yourself , you need to develop some knowledge base yourself first .

I started at a tender age myself ( likewise my kids, and Mrs Biggfoot started at 8yo herself ) so I sometimes have to mentally shift gears for adult rookies with freedom of choice ( as opposed to default training with something mandated, or what they already own ).

One thought is that you ( anyone similarly situated ) need a certain level of basic skills, and quality trigger time to know enough to be able to have informed opinion about what you actually prefer/ do well with .

Or opposing viewpoint is if you are mandated to , or have an overwhelming desire to shoot XYZ pistol , and have the follow through to train with it extensively enough , 95% of people with 90% of guns can eventually gain adequate skills . Even if they could have done better , and more quickly with something different .

If you were closer to SoMd , I would point you to MDS member, and IP Perrin aka Genesis Firearms Training . But I don't have any first hand personal recommendation based in the Rockville area .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Mmm. There's very few outdoor ranges that rent guns around here, in my experience. What you probably want to do is check out the affiliated instructors at AGC and contact them to see who can help you. https://www.associatedgunclubs.org/training/

Green Ops and JDC both offer private instruction and have access to private ranges, with very well qualified instructors. Their private ranges are a bit of a further drive south in VA than I'd want to make regularly, though:
    https://www.green-ops.com/private-courses
    https://www.justifieddefensiveconcepts.com/private-instruction

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree with BiggFoot44, for step 2, find a Basic Pistol course.

It will cover some of the same things as the HQL course, but more things. And it will have more about the mechanics of shooting. And shooting with an instructor will help you avoid learning bad habits. It is MUCH easier to learn good habits than the break bad habits.

It is good to do with your wife. Except, you may find that she likes shooting, and you will have to share. :D

When I instructed, with my now ex, we taught a lot of woman. Most of them were learning to have a firearm around for home defense. Most found that shooting is fun. Normally, at the range, they would fire the first shot, and get a puzzled look. Then the second shot, more puzzled. And then the third shot, they get a big grin, and say, "This is FUN." :D

A number of them became serious shooters.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Consider going to an indoor range for access to a lot of pistols which you can rent/try. The machine gun nest in Frederick has a wide variety.

NRA basic pistol is a good starting point

Be open to other makes/models and prefer what fits your hand best, not necessarily a brand/model. And consider availability of mags, spare parts and accessories.

As a new pistol shooter, choosing a striker fired pistol makes a lot of sense IMO (or a revolver)

I have a friend (certified instructors located in Catonsville who may be willing to do a private class. I just completed my CCW class with him. PM AMS if you’d like his reach info

Once you purchase, commit yourself to regular training/practice. I got out of shooting for 20 years as I got overrun by work, family and kids. I now shoot at least once a week and between range time and dry firing at home, I’m seeing progress

Sorry for writing like it’s a telegram...I hate typing on an iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quadtree

May 19, 2020
    Good idea to bringing the wife along. I am in the same boat, just got my HQL and looking to get some range time in, while making the Mrs comfortable with the look of a gun and how it sounds when it goes BANG!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Good idea to bringing the wife along. I am in the same boat, just got my HQL and looking to get some range time in, while making the Mrs comfortable with the look of a gun and how it sounds when it goes BANG!

What works with those I teach, I have them just shoot the gun to get used to the recoil and the BANG! 100 rounds or so.

So sighting in, no target, just shooting so they get to know what happens.
    Dealing with muzzle blast while trying to learn aiming, trigger control, stance, and everything else is just too much to bite all at once.

And for the purpose of self defense shooting, don't listen to someone who tells you that the gun should "surprise you" when it goes off. You're getting ready to possibly take a life. You best know when that gun will fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom