• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    It won't be long before I'll need a renewal. Do the side businesses still send renewal "thru us" letters near renewal time?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I got a renewal 'reminder' from a Texas amateur club via email. Came about two months out. Quite random, but appreciated.

Never had a solicitation from a renewal business, but I've done all of my FCC stuff myself.

To some people, it might be worth the 3rd party fee to avoid the hassle of dealing with the FCC's site.

If you are patient, you can renew on your own using the CORES system. The single biggest issue I had at the FCC/CORES site when I was renewing is that you MUST use the site's navigation buttons. If you use your 'back' button, it will kick you out of the system and you've gotta log back on again and start from the beginning. Old habits die hard...I found.

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    Hi folks, I just discovered this fantastic thread. Great info and the OP did a awesome job of addressing just about everything. I figured I'd add my input which is likely already covered in the 3500-ish posts.

I'm a Volunteer Examiner that proctors the exams given by the NEMARC club. We hold exams at the Jarrettsville VFW every other month. I took my Technician and General the same testing session in 2019, then took my Extra in 2021. ( I think)

All the questions and answers are available on hamstudy.org. In all honesty you can easily just go on that site and memorize all the questions and answers. I know that's not the "right" way to study, but the way I see it is that the Technician license is the way to get on the air so you can really learn what you need to know. Same goes for General but the arguement can be made that you should actually learn the material when going for General.

Many people are afraid of the math when taking the exam. There's really not all that much math on the Technician and the General exam. There is a lot more possibility of math questions when you go for your Extra. I really studied for the Extra. I had the math down pat. I had 1 math question on my Extra exam and it was fairly basic.

Hopefully this is useful to people on the fence about getting licensed.

Just my 2¢

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Where should I buy bulk electronic components? Specifically genuine 1N34 germanium diodes the old fashion kind not the Schottky Barrier Rectifier Blocking Diodes or other counterfeits. These would be for making crystal set radios.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I got a renewal 'reminder' from a Texas amateur club via email. Came about two months out. Quite random, but appreciated.

Never had a solicitation from a renewal business, but I've done all of my FCC stuff myself.

To some people, it might be worth the 3rd party fee to avoid the hassle of dealing with the FCC's site.

If you are patient, you can renew on your own using the CORES system. The single biggest issue I had at the FCC/CORES site when I was renewing is that you MUST use the site's navigation buttons. If you use your 'back' button, it will kick you out of the system and you've gotta log back on again and start from the beginning. Old habits die hard...I found.
    It's $35 to renew or if your not an Extra yet you can upgrade without paying the fee after passing the test.

This is what's going to force me to get my Extra in a couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom