• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I just ordered 500 Leatherhead 220gr 300AAC coated bullets. These are marketed as being made specifically for loading 300AAC subsonic cartridges.

Upon finalizing my purchase I see a little pop-up saying these bullets are .310" in diameter. That seems kinda big compared to all other bullets I've used to reload 300(.308"). Am I going to have a problem with these bullets? I don't own a sizer and don't plan on buying one just to be able to load $75 worth of bullets. I pretty much stick to Lake City and other brass of comparable wall thickness.

Anyone else reloading these bullets for 300AAC?
    I appreciate any and all recommendations.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Lead should be a little larger in diameter than FMJ. Seems .310 is a good place that guys want to be with the BLK, some are even .311.

Let us know how they work out for you. I have been looking at them but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Loading for an AR or another platform?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I got 1000 of the Palmetto State Armory version of the same projectile. The are totally inaccurate maybe 12” groups at 50yds. But with the binary trigger I just fire twice as many and still get about 1/2 of the shots inside of 6”. YMMV.

I have had to make sure I flare the case before loading them or your scrape the coating from the projectile. Then you’ve got to crimp them fairly tightly too. Occasionally I get some Failure to feed/fire, but it could also be related to the fact that I’ve got a lot of mixed range brass .223’s that were chopped down and some of those cases don’t play nice in my gun, so when I find them I just pitch them.

Oh one more thing, they leave a tun of vaporized lead deposits on the inside of my suppressor baffles. I posted something I think in the $100 suppressor thread where I had to take a screw driver and torch to get all of the lead out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    ToolAA,
    Do you know what velocity you were pushing them to?
    Twist and length of your barrel please?

If your case is similar to what I want to do I won't go the PSA for bullets.

Thanks in advance!

I use the exact projectile for my .300AAC subs.
    I can provide a bunch of good things about them, but only one bad thing...
    The .310 diameter requires me to slightly flare the brass before loading the projectiles. Not a deal breaker, but it is one more step on the reloading bench. If I don't flare them, 1 out of every 3-4 will shave the coating a little bit. (Chamfering does not stop this)
    I do not have the leading issue ToolAA has with his PSA version.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    ToolAA,

Do you know what velocity you were pushing them to?

Twist and length of your barrel please?

If your case is similar to what I want to do I won't go the PSA for bullets.

Thanks in advance!

I am using 10g of IMR 4227 shooting in a 10.5” barrel, 1:8 twist.

With the suppressor they are running about 1050fps.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lead should be a little larger in diameter than FMJ. Seems .310 is a good place that guys want to be with the BLK, some are even .311.

Let us know how they work out for you. I have been looking at them but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Loading for an AR or another platform?

Thanks for the input fellas.

ohen, I am loading for an AR 300 SBR suppressed. Previous coated pills have been .308(sized). I will be charging with A-1680, which is my go-to sub powder. I guess as long as they fit in my Sheridan gauge, I will feel OK. I will let you know. :thumbsup:

ETA: I am loading in a Dillon 550. I will be flaring my brass as I load. Anything other than a boattail, I flair.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    You should be fine, although with the slightly larger diameter you MAY have chambering issues. Your LC brass is good to go, it really depends on how tight your chamber is.

I've had issues due to a very tight match barrel. I tried a Lee resizing die, which did a great job resizing the bullet and fixed my chambering issues, but the accuracy dropped off a bit. I neck turn my brass, because apparently I have time on my hands and I'm OCD, so that's how I solved some of my chambering and kept the accuracy.

King Shooter Supply also has PC coated lead cast bullets that work well. I believe they are .309 in diameter.

http://www.kingshooters.com/300/-3014

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks for the input fellas.

ohen, I am loading for an AR 300 SBR suppressed. Previous coated pills have been .308(sized). I will be charging with A-1680, which is my go-to sub powder. I guess as long as they fit in my Sheridan gauge, I will feel OK. I will let you know. :thumbsup:

ETA: I am loading in a Dillon 550. I will be flaring my brass as I load. Anything other than a boattail, I flair.

I have the .30 carbine funnel, which flares the neck (I assume you probably have the same). I played with Lil'Gun. I have yet to crack the 1680. Let us know what you get.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have the .30 carbine funnel, which flares the neck (I assume you probably have the same). I played with Lil'Gun. I have yet to crack the 1680. Let us know what you get.

Indeed I do. You'll really like the 1680. I have not messed with Lil'Gun yet. If you could pass along some recommendations on loads, I have a couple lbs I'm not really using for anything else. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom