• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was just looking at Spikes online--I wish they had a snake head but could work with the spider or Punisher logo. My post retirement employment starts tomorrow morning in a (wait for it) gun shop, and they have advertised Spikes lowers, so i can get a first hand look shortly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Nice!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    does anyone have a good suggestion for a local shop in the towson area that keeps small parts in stock? duffy's and continental come to mind right off the bat but i'm looking for others to call as well.

i managed to send my gas tube roll pin flying across my garage and i spent the last 3 hours looking for it. no dice. i'd really like to shoot this new build over thanksgiving at the in-laws in PA so I'm trying to get it done by Tuesday night.

thanks!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    does anyone have a good suggestion for a local shop in the towson area that keeps small parts in stock? duffy's and continental come to mind right off the bat but i'm looking for others to call as well.

i managed to send my gas tube roll pin flying across my garage and i spent the last 3 hours looking for it. no dice. i'd really like to shoot this new build over thanksgiving at the in-laws in PA so I'm trying to get it done by Tuesday night.

thanks!

Free State might, but I'd go to Engage, for parts, if you have to have them today.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

thanks!

Gun Connection. They have all the little bits.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa

thanks!

I live in Lutherville. If you haven’t gotten one yet , I have a spare you can have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    I live in Lutherville. If you haven’t gotten one yet , I have a spare you can have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cotman - thanks so much for the generous offer. I was able to get out during lunch and pick up a couple of them at Continental Arms. I even managed to get a spare for when this one invariably goes flying.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'm building an AR in 300 AAC. I'm looking for recommendations on barrel length and twist. I do the vast majority of my shooting at an indoor range. On occasion, I'll go outdoors up to 200 yards. I'm also open to people trying to talk me out of 300 AAC and into 5.56. The thing is, I have an AR pistol in .223 Wylde, so I was thinking of going with a different caliber in my rifle. This is purely a general sporting rifle for me, I don't do competitions.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I'm building an AR in 300 AAC. I'm looking for recommendations on barrel length and twist. I do the vast majority of my shooting at an indoor range. On occasion, I'll go outdoors up to 200 yards. I'm also open to people trying to talk me out of 300 AAC and into 5.56. The thing is, I have an AR pistol in .223 Wylde, so I was thinking of going with a different caliber in my rifle. This is purely a general sporting rifle for me, I don't do competitions.

I debated back and forth several times.. I don’t have a .223/5.56 pistol currently so for me it’s a no brainer to build that first.
    The biggest deterrent is the cost of 300 blk ammo and I don’t reload. The whole point of 300 movement is obviously to suppress it using a 9-11” barrel and shoot subs (.70-.85 cents a pop if I recall correctly). Personally it would make me never want to shoot it regularly as I would now have to pick up yet another caliber and use it for only one rifle and now mark my magazines to make sure I never mixed them with my 223/5.56 as that could be catastrophic..
    However saying all that I still want to build one as they are extremely quiet suppressed (shooting subsonic ammo). Therefore I may just get another upper and swap back and forth and start the process to put a nice .30 cal can on it..

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I debated back and forth several times.. I don’t have a .223/5.56 pistol currently so for me it’s a no brainer to build that first.

The biggest deterrent is the cost of 300 blk ammo and I don’t reload. The whole point of 300 movement is obviously to suppress it using a 9-11” barrel and shoot subs (.70-.85 cents a pop if I recall correctly). Personally it would make me never want to shoot it regularly as I would now have to pick up yet another caliber and use it for only one rifle and now mark my magazines to make sure I never mixed them with my 223/5.56 as that could be catastrophic..

However saying all that I still want to build one as they are extremely quiet suppressed (shooting subsonic ammo). Therefore I may just get another upper and swap back and forth and start the process to put a nice .30 cal can on it..

I get the whole thing about suppressing. Given the tax stamp and the high cost of a can for a high powered rifle, I'm not likely to get a suppressor. I bought the lower to have around in case Congress does something stupid like outlawing ARs. Lots of thinking to do.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

I would recommend a 1:7 (if you can find one) or a 1:8 on a 16" barrel. Ironically, I know where to get a good 300BLK barrel.
    https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-p...h/contract-300-16-inch-pistol-melonite-barrel

Don't let the price tag fool you. Pics of the assembled upper with a KAK barrel, and pics of the KAK barrel, during the build process.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4266578&postcount=57
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4268522&postcount=61

The barrel is capable of sub-MOA if the shooter does their part, laps the upper receiver face, and floats the barrel.

Now you say sporting rifle, so am I to assume that you might be hunting with it?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I would recommend a 1:7 (if you can find one) or a 1:8 on a 16" barrel. Ironically, I know where to get a good 300BLK barrel.

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-p...h/contract-300-16-inch-pistol-melonite-barrel

Don't let the price tag fool you. Pics of the assembled upper with a KAK barrel, and pics of the KAK barrel, during the build process.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4266578&postcount=57

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4268522&postcount=61

The barrel is capable of sub-MOA if the shooter does their part, laps the upper receiver face, and floats the barrel.

Now you say sporting rifle, so am I to assume that you might be hunting with it?

"Sporting" in the sense of a "modern sporting rifle." Not necessarily for hunting.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Given the capabilities of the 300BLK, I'd go with the 300BLK.

I've owned/played with 223/556, 308, 300BLK, 762x39 in the AR platform. I would go with a 300BLK any day of the week, due to the all purpose capability of the cartridge for HD, hunting, plinking, suppression, etc...

That's good input, because one of my criteria is versatility.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Had a little fun this morning. I finally got the tools out and got my 18” 6.5 Grendel upper together. I am looking forward to getting this sucker out there and sighted in. My plan is to hunt the late season with it. I still need to figure out an optic. At a minimum I’ll do a red dot as I have a spare TRS-25. I am waiting for my Bushnell 3-9x40 to come back from them as it had parallax issues. I have a cant mount I can use for the scope.

If it looks like the scope may not be back in time, I might look at a cheap prism scope, like a 2.5 or 3x. Then swap that on to something else as plinker later when I can afford a good scope (or use that 3-9x40 when it finally comes back).

Attachments

• CA092DF7-D891-44BA-BD20-9252B45A5FCD.jpg
      CA092DF7-D891-44BA-BD20-9252B45A5FCD.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 301
    • 3A7C7A22-1CAE-4FA8-A940-A829705FAE20.jpg
      3A7C7A22-1CAE-4FA8-A940-A829705FAE20.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 297

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Had a little fun this morning. I finally got the tools out and got my 18” 6.5 Grendel upper together. I am looking forward to getting this sucker out there and sighted in. My plan is to hunt the late season with it. I still need to figure out an optic. At a minimum I’ll do a red dot as I have a spare TRS-25. I am waiting for my Bushnell 3-9x40 to come back from them as it had parallax issues. I have a cant mount I can use for the scope.

If it looks like the scope may not be back in time, I might look at a cheap prism scope, like a 2.5 or 3x. Then swap that on to something else as plinker later when I can afford a good scope (or use that 3-9x40 when it finally comes back).

Take a look at the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40. It is a good optic for a very reasonable price. If you haven't checked one out, let me know and you can check out the one I have.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Take a look at the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40. It is a good optic for a very reasonable price. If you haven't checked one out, let me know and you can check out the one I have.

:thumbsup:

If we are able to get together in a couple of weeks, sure thing. I’ve been eyeing up getting one. Just got “my scope” back from Bushnell today. No note or anything, they just sent me a new scope in the retail box. I guess not economical to repair.

Short of a manufacturing defect in this one, at least I don’t have to worry if they fixed it properly or not. So that is nice.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    :thumbsup:

If we are able to get together in a couple of weeks, sure thing. I’ve been eyeing up getting one. Just got “my scope” back from Bushnell today. No note or anything, they just sent me a new scope in the retail box. I guess not economical to repair.

Short of a manufacturing defect in this one, at least I don’t have to worry if they fixed it properly or not. So that is nice.

Inbox is always open. Drop me a PM and we'll figure something out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom