• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    we have repeatedly heard about the 'assault weapons ban' cry and how evil guns are and every argument against them for years. Something new that is disconcerting to me is that they are now crying 'Who needs more than 1 gun?' 'Noone should be allowed to own 10, 20 or 50 guns'. Also when they start calling a person extreme when they have 1000 rounds of ammo. I forsee tracking of ammunition purchases at a federal level coming soon to a Wally World near you. Help them figure out who is really the radicals to watch!

Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of that recently too. My response is that the firearm “owner” who only has one or two guns is probably more likely to use it. Let’s rememebr half of all gun deaths are gang related. I could be wrong, but I doubt most gang members have multiple guns.

Plus I bet most collectors are again more likely to respect their firearms and not have purchased them to run around killing people.

Most of the mass shooters, they don’t own 30 guns, they own 1 or 2. Obviously exceptions to this, but many of them bought a gun or two within a few weeks of commuting a mass shooting. Not that they’ve owned and been collecting guns for years.

I try to educate them on the ammo that having 10k rounds isn’t weird. 22lr is cheap, doesn’t take up much space and you absolutely can shoot a lot of it in one range trip. Hell, I don’t get to the range that often, but I still go through probably 2-2.5k (count, not $) ammo a year between 22lr, 7.5/8# shot shells and centerfire stuff. Sure, vast majority is 22lr and shot shells.

I tend to buy my ammo a few hundred rounds at a time to save money, especially when there is a sale. Driving to Walmart or my LGS every time I want to go shoot clays or go to the range would be a HUGE pain in the butt.

That usually comes up when I hear “we should limit gun owners to only have a box of ammo” or “gun owners should only be able to have one magazine and the rest has to be secured at a shooting range”. That BS usually comes from people who obviously don’t know shit about guns. Compared to”gun traitors” who shot their Dad’s gun growing up on the farm and they’ve had granddad’s shotgun in a closet for a decade collecting dust. But they are a gun owner and endorse this disarmament message (IE they know a little more than **** nothing, but not a lot more).

Sorry, the crap I’ve seen spouted the last couple of weeks has been pissing me off how ignorant it is and I needed to vent a little to like minded individuals.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    ^^ are you trying to use logic and facts against the emotional left?

Good luck with that ! :lol:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lately I’ve been wishing I could use a boot to the ass. Same result, but more satisfying.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Oh come now. We've all got our little peccadilloes. Nicholas Tesla is said to have required 17 folded napkins at each meal and had to see his flatware wiped clean some number of times before he could eat.
    Lining up a few cans or bottles so you can read the labels seems pretty normal in the Grande Scheme.
    Now, not stepping on cracks or fearing turning the dial to 13 is a little, well, I'm not a psychiatrist, but I doubt meds will help that one..:D

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Seems to me that it's talking about more than one. :party29:

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Let’s rememebr half of all gun deaths are gang related. I could be wrong, but I doubt most gang members have multiple guns.
    No, you ar wrong on that on two levels, you are falling into into trap, since 2/3 of firearms death are in fact suicide, and also most firearm homicide is not gang related.

Best to always talk" homicide rate" as the it can clearly be shown to be decreasing for a generation. Not "death." not "gun violence" where they include suicide.

When a debate opponent says "gun violence" deaths. You say: "Oh, ok that is nearly 2/3 suicide, you are aggregating suicide and homicide. There are lots of fully developed democracies with higher suicide + homicide rates than the US, and virtually no guns. Virtually gun free S. Korea and Japan have way more "lethal violence" by your defintion. Are yo saying suicide by jumping from a building is less violent than taking ones life with a firearm??"

On gang related, a lot of gun murder, non murder shootings, and in fact accidents are gang related. But not most. The better assertion, because it is most, is that most gun homicide, the vast majority, and certainly the elevated US rate over other countries, is criminal on criminal. There is an attempt to suppress this. new Orleans PD came under attack when they published data on how the overwhelming majority of not just perpetrators, but victims as well were criminals. Baltimore PD was looking at this and publishing it until the left went nuts because it destroys their narrative. Baltimore last look at this was 2007 before being stopped: 93% of murder perps have prior criminal record, 80% of murder perps have ten or more arrests -- and 91% of murder victims, have a criminal record.

the counter argument you wil hear is: "just because someone has committed a crime are you saying their life is worthless?" You will say: "NO, but causal risk factors behind over 90% of murder being criminal on criminal is the core issue. Are yo saying smoking rates are irrelevant to discussion of lung cancer? Committing crimes is clearly the driving risk behavior in getting murdered."

Lastly the reason why yo are seeing new arguments about numbers of guns owned by single individuals is because there is a new narrative: "more than half of US guns are owned by people who have more than ten guns." This bogus assertion is because the objective data clearly show an increase in gun sales for decades now. they don't want to admit publically that the population which owns gun is going up, since they want to tell elected officials this is a decreasing constituency.

They know, we all know, from the data that murder has been falling as guns in civilian hands have been increasing. In the places where guns have increased violent crime has decreased. So they need to claim in those places gun ownership has decreased to cling to their bogus correlations. They know for a fact that gun ownership is likely risen to 60% of Americans, but by using survey types that will result in decreased numbers of people self reporting their gun ownership to a complete stranger, they can falsely claim it is decreasing.

They are also now realize the more they attack right the more support for the NRA is increasing. Gallup approvals among all Americans for NRA have gone from 42% to 58% the past 20 years. The gun control lobby is desperate to prove NRA is not gun owners generally (even though gallup says otherwise) but this "3%" that supposedly owns more than half of the guns. They want to say: "own a pistol for self defense? oh we are not against you, it is the maniacs with arsenals!"

What you are seeing is that the gun control lobby will promiscuously adjust its data claims, and its narratives, for the moment. Never forget that the positon of ALL of them less than ten year ago was in support of total bans.

Look at their narrative on DC. The Brady campaign cites "studies" that say DC has high homicide because it has high gun ownership. It says DC has 26% gun ownership and high murder and new Hampshire has 14% gun ownership and low murder.
    But the studies on suicide they cite,, where DC is low suicide, it says DC gun ownership is 5%. Hmm, 26% or 5%? which is it? Answer: whichever number promotes: guns are bad.
    Not only do they use 5% for DC when it helps them and 26% for DC when it does, the claim that new Hampshire only has 14% gun ownership is about the most laughable thing ever claimed.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Wow Rascal. That’s pretty thorough.
    I agree with everyone that believes they’re going to try limiting numbers of guns and ammo you can own. They’ll claim it’s reaonable, look at Sweden, England, etc. it’ll be convincing to the majority of sheeple. I mean, who “needs” more than say 5 guns or more than 50 rounds of ammo. That’ll sound reasonable to non gun owners and even many gun owners.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No, you ar wrong on that on two levels, you are falling into into trap, since 2/3 of firearms death are in fact suicide, and also most firearm homicide is not gang related.

Best to always talk" homicide rate" as the it can clearly be shown to be decreasing for a generation. Not "death." not "gun violence" where they include suicide.

When a debate opponent says "gun violence" deaths. You say: "Oh, ok that is nearly 2/3 suicide, you are aggregating suicide and homicide. There are lots of fully developed democracies with higher suicide + homicide rates than the US, and virtually no guns. Virtually gun free S. Korea and Japan have way more "lethal violence" by your defintion. Are yo saying suicide by jumping from a building is less violent than taking ones life with a firearm??"

On gang related, a lot of gun murder, non murder shootings, and in fact accidents are gang related. But not most. The better assertion, because it is most, is that most gun homicide, the vast majority, and certainly the elevated US rate over other countries, is criminal on criminal. There is an attempt to suppress this. new Orleans PD came under attack when they published data on how the overwhelming majority of not just perpetrators, but victims as well were criminals. Baltimore PD was looking at this and publishing it until the left went nuts because it destroys their narrative. Baltimore last look at this was 2007 before being stopped: 93% of murder perps have prior criminal record, 80% of murder perps have ten or more arrests -- and 91% of murder victims, have a criminal record.

the counter argument you wil hear is: "just because someone has committed a crime are you saying their life is worthless?" You will say: "NO, but causal risk factors behind over 90% of murder being criminal on criminal is the core issue. Are yo saying smoking rates are irrelevant to discussion of lung cancer? Committing crimes is clearly the driving risk behavior in getting murdered."

Lastly the reason why yo are seeing new arguments about numbers of guns owned by single individuals is because there is a new narrative: "more than half of US guns are owned by people who have more than ten guns." This bogus assertion is because the objective data clearly show an increase in gun sales for decades now. they don't want to admit publically that the population which owns gun is going up, since they want to tell elected officials this is a decreasing constituency.

They know, we all know, from the data that murder has been falling as guns in civilian hands have been increasing. In the places where guns have increased violent crime has decreased. So they need to claim in those places gun ownership has decreased to cling to their bogus correlations. They know for a fact that gun ownership is likely risen to 60% of Americans, but by using survey types that will result in decreased numbers of people self reporting their gun ownership to a complete stranger, they can falsely claim it is decreasing.

They are also now realize the more they attack right the more support for the NRA is increasing. Gallup approvals among all Americans for NRA have gone from 42% to 58% the past 20 years. The gun control lobby is desperate to prove NRA is not gun owners generally (even though gallup says otherwise) but this "3%" that supposedly owns more than half of the guns. They want to say: "own a pistol for self defense? oh we are not against you, it is the maniacs with arsenals!"

What you are seeing is that the gun control lobby will promiscuously adjust its data claims, and its narratives, for the moment. Never forget that the positon of ALL of them less than ten year ago was in support of total bans.

Look at their narrative on DC. The Brady campaign cites "studies" that say DC has high homicide because it has high gun ownership. It says DC has 26% gun ownership and high murder and new Hampshire has 14% gun ownership and low murder.
    But the studies on suicide they cite,, where DC is low suicide, it says DC gun ownership is 5%. Hmm, 26% or 5%? which is it? Answer: whichever number promotes: guns are bad.
    Not only do they use 5% for DC when it helps them and 26% for DC when it does, the claim that new Hampshire only has 14% gun ownership is about the most laughable thing ever claimed.

Sorry, I meant murders. I personally don’t consider suicides as a gun related issue.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wow Rascal. That’s pretty thorough.
    I agree with everyone that believes they’re going to try limiting numbers of guns and ammo you can own. They’ll claim it’s reaonable, look at Sweden, England, etc. it’ll be convincing to the majority of sheeple. I mean, who “needs” more than say 5 guns or more than 50 rounds of ammo. That’ll sound reasonable to non gun owners and even many gun owners.

Actually I bet if you look at most non-free countries where you have to have a license and a NEED for a firearm, most people probably have several. If you have to go through thousands of dollars of licenses and training and months of work, why the F would you have one gun?

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Sorry, I meant murders. I personally don’t consider suicides as a gun related issue.

Murders are not a gun related issue either. Restrictions on firearm use or ownership do not prevent criminals intending to murder people from murdering people. They may or may not use firearms to do so, but the job will still get done.

In other words, murders gonna murder.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Another reason to reload your own ammo.

That said, I don't know why the liberals think that its ok to limit the right to keep and bear arms. I know its an old argument but its still a valid one, if you can limit one right then you can limit all rights. So by extension if its good to limit the number of guns a person can purchase in a month then we can limit how many times a person goes to church or makes a speech, speaks on TV or even vents on a web forum/Tweets/Texts/Facbook etc... Same thing applies the number of rounds a person can purchase/possess. All if it UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Another reason to reload your own ammo.

That said, I don't know why the liberals think that its ok to limit the right to keep and bear arms. I know its an old argument but its still a valid one, if you can limit one right then you can limit all rights. So by extension if its good to limit the number of guns a person can purchase in a month then we can limit how many times a person goes to church or makes a speech, speaks on TV or even vents on a web forum/Tweets/Texts/Facbook etc... Same thing applies the number of rounds a person can purchase/possess. All if it UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
    This is a remnant of the liberal mindset and Great Society of the 1960's, when GCA68 was passed. The liberals blame the gun, not the criminal for the crime. The criminal is given a free pass and the gun, knife, hockey stick, ...etc. is to blame. As for ammunition tracking, look at the communist state of California. People will have to show ID and be limited to how much ammo they buy. Just wait, it's come to NY, NJ, MD, DE, IL, and other Democrat controlled states in a few years.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County

And while it may seem hard and unfeeling, let's not forget, suicide is a health care choice, it is not violence. Isn't that how some of the left leaning states justified their assisted suicide bills, a health care choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Actually I bet if you look at most non-free countries where you have to have a license and a NEED for a firearm, most people probably have several. If you have to go through thousands of dollars of licenses and training and months of work, why the F would you have one gun?

They do have more than one gun.

Let's walk through this from the perspective of a European pistol competitor. He's shooting the ISSF disciplines of Free Pistol, Rapid Fire, Centerfire Pistol, and Standard Pistol. This means an absolute minimum of two guns, more likely three, quite possibly four.

Plus backup guns. Any serious competitor will have backups for his primary arms.

Then toss in black powder...which is big in Europe. Most muzzle-loading arms are unregulated in most of Europe, but revolvers tend to be considered modern firearms.

As you can see, it's easy to justify a fairly extensive battery.

Ammo is even easier. You don't buy match-grade .22LR at Wal-Mart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom