• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    https://www.rkguns.com/eaa-windicator-357-magnum-compact-revolver-770130.html

I didn't want to go crazy price wise since I suck with revolvers, but I wanted something I could train with and become better, also love the power of the 357 for a home defense weapon and until my wife becomes a little more reliable with her SR22 semi automatic ( she's not the quickest when it comes to loading the magazine's and racking them yet.

Are any of you familiar with the EAA Windicator? I've done some extensive research on it and it checks out to me so I think it'll due for my first revolver.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

I didn't want to go crazy price wise since I suck with revolvers, but I wanted something I could train with and become better, also love the power of the 357 for a home defense weapon and until my wife becomes a little more reliable with her SR22 semi automatic ( she's not the quickest when it comes to loading the magazine's and racking them yet.

Are any of you familiar with the EAA Windicator? I've done some extensive research on it and it checks out to me so I think it'll due for my first revolver.
    Revolvers suck but if you're dead set on one I'd check out the Smiff N Wessun Six Fo's Brian at South Carroll Sporting Goods has. (Hint they're nice enough I bought one)

The Windicators lack of a sideplate mean servicing is more difficult and the machining leaves a bit to be desired.

Now the SixFo's are "only" .38 +p rated but if you ever wanted to scare your wife away from shooting, .357 Magnum is the way to do it.

Hit me up sometime if you really want to try out a revolver. Just bring factory loaded .38 and I can show ya some tricks.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    She's gotten a lot better with handling the boom so I don't think she'll be afraid like she was just a couple months ago. She shoots the AR now as well. She just sucks at loading mags and racking the guns.

It's likely that it won't be shot a ton so I didn't want to go pay 4 to 5 hundred plus on one. And it's got to be a 357, I wasn't really interested in buying any 38s for it so one that's only 38 won't make the cut. I think the 357 is one of them legendary historic rounds and I want that.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    She's gotten a lot better with handling the boom so I don't think she'll be afraid like she was just a couple months ago. She shoots the AR now as well. She just sucks at loading mags and racking the guns.

It's likely that it won't be shot a ton so I didn't want to go pay 4 to 5 hundred plus on one. And it's got to be a 357, I wasn't really interested in buying any 38s for it so one that's only 38 won't make the cut. I think the 357 is one of them legendary historic rounds and I want that.

If you're dead set on the gun/caliber I won't talk you out of it, but I will recommend that you seek out the 4" barrel variant. 2" .357's leave a LOT to be desired in terms of velocity and terminal performance. That gun will also cost you about $350-375 after shipping taxes and transfer fees. So it's not saving as much compared to a good used Smiff.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I don't know that brand but I do know a 357 revolver with a 2" barrel can be pretty hard on the hand. I strongly suggest you try one out before buying if you plan on actually shooting 357's. Nice thing though is you can always shoot 38 specials or 38 special+p. And, like Mopar said, for home defense I'd go with at least a 4" barrel

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    You all are probably right about the 2inch barrelI 357. I guess I'll have to look and see if they come in 4inch.

I don't get out as much to gun shop's like where you are located because I don't know if id be welcomed, so I do shy away from gun shop's where I'm sure they don't get many people that look like me coming in. Had a friend get turned away just because he was black and he's a legitimate citizen and gun owner and the guy wouldn't even allow him to touch an AR he wanted picked out to purchase right there before SB281.

And my LGS are scum bags so I swore to myself id never purchase a firearm from either of the 2 that are close to me and have been doing the online and transfer thing for year's even if I do end up paying more which is rare since my LGS are price gouging people..... 360 for a hi point c9 man....

But anyhow I believe it's sound advice on the 4 inch barrelled 357s.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , I will comment on Windacator: It's unreliable POS , avoid it on purpose .

As Mopar et al said , 4in , not 2in .

As Mopar said , first choice is used S&W or Ruger . If you're one of those people who irrationally refuse to buy used, and just gotsta have the new car smell, the Dreaded Taurus is preferable to the other dirt cheap brands . * So long as you stick to the basic K Frame analog made from basic steel * . Where Taraus always shoots them selves in the foot is being too "inovative" . They will constantly introduce new models and new materials without proper R&D, and discontinue before working out the bugs.

The 1911 clones, M92 family, and almost copies of J frame and K frame in basic steel , they've been doing a long time, and have basically figured out, with a defect rate only twice that of S&W.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Understandable. Smart move, that's a good looking revolver, but I know nothing about it.

2292506.jpg

You've already received excellent advice, I'd just add, consider a .22LR revolver first, it's much more fun and less expensive to shoot. I almost always have one in my range bag and like to use it first to help new shooters.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Another vote for a 4" -6" as the first revolver. If you want to experience the "power" of .357 you want to experience it with a longer barrel. There is no real point in a 2" .357, get a .38 special.

I am not sure where you are located, but I've seen some perfectly good used Taurus .357, Ruger, and S&W .357s in the used gun sections of IPs here (some still for sale, between $400-500). I'd recommend spending a little more and get one of those. I also saw a used Chiappa .357 a while back. I do not have experience with EAA revolvers. I do have experience with the EAA Witness and it is sweet.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah no offense but I'm not getting the thought behind this at all. You can buy a better brand name revolver for a little more. Were not talking I want a Ruger P89 budget and someone offering up the idea of a brand new colt 1911. We are talking 25-50 bucks. As Mopar mentioned (and he is right on the money) the 64 in 4 inch is an AWESOME gun for the money and perfect for what you're describing as your necessity. I will also point out you can buy a nice model 10 for not much more. I personally see no point to spend the 325 when for 50 bucks more you can have a much better option.

A lot of correction officers are still using the 64 to this day.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    My first and only revolver is a 6" 686+. If I did it again and had my druthers, I'd get 5" as velocity drops aren't huge but it'd be a little more balanced. That said, a 6" barrel with full underlug looks kinda badass and the extra length improves sight picture. Don't go 2", you'll never shoot it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    EAA SINGLE Action revolvers = Strong, functional, good value, but can be rough (ie not smooth) in the action . Some aren't bad , best to fondle in person. ( Been made by the actual mfg since 1950s, most commonly imported under brand name of Hawes, back in the day.)

EAA DOUBLE Action revolvers = Junk, avoid . As in no consistancy in chambers or headspace equally likely to not fire, or lockup .Horrible triggers. Mfg by different actual manufacturer .

EAA is an importer , not a mfg . They import from several mfg in multiple countries .Most of their product lines range from servicable at good price, to Excellent. But the Windacators they should be embarassed yo defile their brand / identit. That way.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Get yourself a Ruger GP100 4"

Not as elegant as a Smith but built stronger and tougher. The size is between a K-Frame and L-Frame. Smith brought out the beefier L-Frame because the .357 battered the K-Frames and the shooters too much for everyday shooting and duty. Most people shooting a K-Frame will play with .357 at the range but will carry 38 +P or +P+ for duty applications.

Plus you have the Ruger Warranty as your backup. No matter if you buy a GP100 used, Ruger lifetime warranty still applies to you.

Any snubby is fun to shoot and great for CCW but they're not really a good choice for any new revolver shooter. Start with a 4" and once the wheelgun bug bites, you're next one can be a snubby and Yes, there will be a next one. GP100 comes in a 3" so keep that in mind.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    If it sucks and she digs the platform I'll get her a better quality revolver from an IP since it'll be her go too, but me personally I think I'll always suck with revolvers so I've never really sold myself on spending 6 hundred plus on one that won't get used often.

But no I don't have a problem buying used guns, and if my LGS wasn't who they are I'd probably be able to find a used quality 357. Hell this gun is supposed to be new and it looks used lol.

I will let the you know if its junk though.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Get yourself a Ruger GP100 4"

Not as elegant as a Smith but built stronger and tougher. The size is between a K-Frame and L-Frame. Smith brought out the beefier L-Frame because the .357 battered the K-Frames and the shooters too much for everyday shooting and duty. Most people shooting a K-Frame will play with .357 at the range but will carry 38 +P or +P+ for duty applications.

Plus you have the Ruger Warranty as your backup. No matter if you buy a GP100 used, Ruger lifetime warranty still applies to you.

Any snubby is fun to shoot and great for CCW but they're not really a good choice for any new revolver shooter. Start with a 4" and once the wheelgun bug bites, you're next one can be a snubby and Yes, there will be a next one. GP100 comes in a 3" so keep that in mind.

I Really like that 6 inch barrelI Ruger GP100 though. Nice gun.

Desert84eagle

Nov 22, 2011
    MontCo
    Recco S&W

I second the choice of 357, which as you know will also handle 38 and 38+
    Your wife will like the lesser recoil of the 38 and can work up the line as she gets more comfortable. One of my favorite pieces is my 686+ with a 4" barrell.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

I have three variations of what you're considering. Shoot me a pm if you/her would like to make a trip to the range (in Frederick) with me and try them out. And if those weren't enough we can try out 2 rentals for no extra charge, just have to buy their ammo for rentals.

EDIT: They actually have black employees there so we'd be cool on that front. Of course I've never asked if they let them actually touch the firearms :D

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I have three variations of what you're considering. Shoot me a pm if you/her would like to make a trip to the range (in Frederick) with me and try them out. And if those weren't enough we can try out 2 rentals for no extra charge, just have to buy their ammo for rentals.

EDIT: They actually have black employees there so we'd be cool on that front. Of course I've never asked if they let them actually touch the firearms :D

:D awesome, I think Frederick might be closer to me than Carroll county?

Do I need to find some ammo to shoot yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom