• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I appreciate all the suggestions on guns and calibers but I'm looking for an answer on if there are any limits on capacity for a hunting sidearm.

Where I hunt there's definitely more of a threat from 2 legged creatures.

And you guys are a horrible influence lol now I'm looking at revolvers. S&W 629 is pretty sweet.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I appreciate all the suggestions on guns and calibers but I'm looking for an answer on if there are any limits on capacity for a hunting sidearm.

Where I hunt there's definitely more of a threat from 2 legged creatures.

It has already been said more than once in this thread, no limits on capacity. Hunting rifles have an 8 round limit, but that's while rifle hunting. Your sidearm in this case is merely supposed to be for animal defense not animal hunting. You can't use the sidearm to HUNT anything during bow season. And truth be told, good luck if you happen to shoot a "2 legged predator" while hunting. You'll have a lot of explaining to do, legally.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    750 ft/lbs and I forget the muzzle velocity. That's if you want to hunt with a sidearm.

If you intend to carry a 9 into the woods, best to remove the front sight blade...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    S&W 629 is pretty sweet.

I concur! I just picked-up a new 6" (sans underlug) at 2A Sales a couple of weeks ago and I'm impressed. The factory rubber grips were a bit of a concern at first but they actually work well for my medium-sized shooting hand. I considered changing them but won't bother now.

Accuracy with .44 Special is good with the one factory load I've tried so far - Fiocchi 200gr SJHP. It's a confidence-builder. When I start with a few .44 Specials, I do better when I switch over to full Magnum loads. Helps to get that initial flinch out of the way.

SxtqBdK.jpg

25 yards, standing offhand.

Get a 629. You won't be sorry and you'll be ready for just about anything either four-legged or two-legged that's dumb enough to mess with you.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    It has already been said more than once in this thread, no limits on capacity. Hunting rifles have an 8 round limit, but that's while rifle hunting. Your sidearm in this case is merely supposed to be for animal defense not animal hunting. You can't use the sidearm to HUNT anything during bow season. And truth be told, good luck if you happen to shoot a "2 legged predator" while hunting. You'll have a lot of explaining to do, legally.

I understand that there are no limits on capacity generally speaking, just wasn't sure if there was during carrying as a hunting sidearm.

I am aware of the 8 round capacity for hunting rifles, and I am aware of not being legally allowed to hunt with a sidearm. I never said I intended to hunt anything with it or even ever draw it but I'd much rather have it and not need it.

I'm also well aware of the potential of landing in hot water if I am forced to use it, however I'd rather live to face it than not live.

Thank you for your opinions.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I concur! I just picked-up a new 6" (sans underlug) at 2A Sales a couple of weeks ago and I'm impressed. The factory rubber grips were a bit of a concern at first but they actually work well for my medium-sized shooting hand. I considered changing them but won't bother now.

Accuracy with .44 Special is good with the one factory load I've tried so far - Fiocchi 200gr SJHP. It's a confidence-builder. When I start with a few .44 Specials, I do better when I switch over to full Magnum loads. Helps to get that initial flinch out of the way.

SxtqBdK.jpg

25 yards, standing offhand.

Get a 629. You won't be sorry and you'll be ready for just about anything either four-legged or two-legged that's dumb enough to mess with you.

Impressive. I've never handled one and am researching the cost of them now. I'm still leaning pretty heavily toward the Glock 21 though.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    +P is bad juju with an 1873. Or any Colt clone.

Get an Old Model Vaquero or a Blackhawk, and stuff it with Ruger Only loads.

I deer hunt with a Blackhawk and its heavy as a bear. I carried a 45 when I lived in the mountains for the same reason as the OP and it is a good carry gun. Light reliable and powerful. It came in extra handy when navigating trout streams and climbing over rocks and stuff. No safety features though unlike the Ruger.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I deer hunt with a Blackhawk and its heavy as a bear. I carried a 45 when I lived in the mountains for the same reason as the OP and it is a good carry gun. Light reliable and powerful. It came in extra handy when navigating trout streams and climbing over rocks and stuff. No safety features though unlike the Ruger.

I'm still leaning pretty hard toward the Glock first and maybe a 629 later on.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Get the Glock 20, for around $120 shipped each you can buy a few different barrels and shoot 40 S&W and 357 Sig. Only a barrel swap is required for these.

Glock 21 is the .45 and same goes for that one. You can convert it to 10mm quite easily. That's the one I'm leaning towards.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    From DNR:
    Firearms may not be carried while hunting deer during the Archery Season with the following exception. In Deer Management Region A, persons 21 years old or older may carry a handgun for personal protection against bear while hunting deer during the Archery Season. The handgun:

may not be used for hunting any game species while the person is archery hunting for deer;
    may not have a barrel length of more than six inches;
    may not have a telescopic sight or electronic aiming device attached; and
    may not be used to kill wildlife wounded by a vertical bow or crossbow.

A 9 mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP would be my choice. Short barrel .44 mag or .500 do not make sense in my opinion. Bear are not that hard to kill. The idea that a shot in the cranium to a bear or any mid-sized animal not working is ridicules. The goal is a hit in a critical area. Coyote, dogs, and turds would be my focus of legal carry.

Good luck

Jerry

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    From DNR:
    Firearms may not be carried while hunting deer during the Archery Season with the following exception. In Deer Management Region A, persons 21 years old or older may carry a handgun for personal protection against bear while hunting deer during the Archery Season. The handgun:

may not be used for hunting any game species while the person is archery hunting for deer;

A 9 mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP would be my choice. Short barrel .44 mag or .500 do not make sense in my opinion. Bear are not that hard to kill. The idea that a shot in the cranium to a bear or any mid-sized animal not working is ridicules. The goal is a hit in a critical area. Coyote, dogs, and turds would be my focus of legal carry.

Good luck

Jerry

I read that passage from the DNR hunting book, my question was if there was a limit on capacity for a sidearm for defense. It doesn't appear there is from the responses I've gotten on this thread.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    From DNR:

Good luck

Jerry

Not to be a smart-ass or anything, but have you ever tried shooting a baseball that was tossed at you with a handgun? Any bear you shoot will be in the midst of a full out charge. Center mass shots rule the day. If one is seriously considering carrying a handgun for bear defense should consider carrying one that will do the job. My 2¢

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom