• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    300blk with a Magpul Ctr. I've got a Condor Stryke sling on it I can tighten down to my chest when getting in and out of a stand. Love stalking deer with this gun. It is light and compact and only needs to go out to 50-75 yards at most. The Leupold vari XII 3-9 is a little too much power for it but I've gotta use what I've got.

They ARE great rifles.

My 300 with a 3-9 scope and a Harris BR bipod comes in at 8 pounds 4 ounces.

If you want to lose your scope, try the Nikon P223 in fixed 3x32. Compact and very clear.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    .300 blackout for me...use Nosler 125 grain accubond or ballistic ammo.
    Works great on deer!

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
      IMG_0039.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 244

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I just got a few stripped lowers and I am planning on building one to be a long range coyote / prairie dog / marmot rifle in .223/5.56. I've never built an AR before. I'll be using a 20"+ barrel with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist and a big scope (at least 4-9x). What would be the best kind of trigger to use for this setup? Any other parts that I should pay attention to?

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I use a 6.5 Grendel for deer. It's a 18'' Alexander Arms upper with an Engage lower with a Geissele SSA-E trigger. I use Alexander Arms 120g Barnes TSX Ammunition, and next year once it's finally out of jail it will have a Thunderbeast 6.5 Ultra 9 on it

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Glad to see I'm not as crazy as the locals think for wanting to hunt with an AR lol. I think my 6.8 SPC will do just fine here in MD.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I have this Fulton built .223 for varmints, has a tuned Rock River trigger and if I remember right the barrel is by Wilson for Fulton, scope is a Nikon Monarch 6x to 18x, rifle is very accurate and has been very reliable.

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpg
      IMG_2270.jpg
      91.6 KB · Views: 183
    • IMG_2274.jpg
      IMG_2274.jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 190

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What I've always wanted is a 6x45 . 15 or so yr ago Oly Arms tried to promote it in a small way, but it didn't take off . At present, it seems to have pretty much disappeared except for pure custom bbls chambered from blanks. ( If anyone knows of a production or semi-production medium priced 6x45 bbl, I'd be up for one in a cpl months.)

About now everyone is asking themselves WHY ? Because I think 85gr soft point at aprox 2700fps is a good thing, and useful compromise of muzzle energy and trajectory.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    What I've always wanted is a 6x45 . 15 or so yr ago Oly Arms tried to promote it in a small way, but it didn't take off . At present, it seems to have pretty much disappeared except for pure custom bbls chambered from blanks. ( If anyone knows of a production or semi-production medium priced 6x45 bbl, I'd be up for one in a cpl months.)

About now everyone is asking themselves WHY ? Because I think 85gr soft point at aprox 2700fps is a good thing, and useful compromise of muzzle energy and trajectory.

Why not 6.8 SPC? A 90g bullet can be pushed to 2800-2900fps.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Because we are buddies, I'll help you out. :D

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...-hbar-contour-1-in-8-twist-20-stainless-steel

Email WOA and ask if they will help you out.
    https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?49562-6x45-Barrel-makers

BHW is now having the parent company do all the work, so it is a PITA to deal with on the web, but I found a direct link to BHW barrels in 6x45 for you.
    http://columbiariverarms.com/ready-to-ship/

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa

I did a 6x45 a few years back with a 20 inch blackhole barrel with target crown,
    don't think you would be disappointed in any barrel you get. Good luck

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As with so many things, there is a slippery slope for "better cartridges" , up to the point of a coin toss between .458 SCOM and .50 Beo. If I were speaking of mid bore ctg , using different parent case and bolt heads, my initial reaction would be for 6.5 Grendel.

I will say the 6x45 is a very interesting ctg way before its time, and if it had the popularity it should have had, the 6.8 wouldn't exist, as the percieved niche would have been filled.

The 6x45 uses full length .223 brass, with necked up as only change. This inherently requires bullets of s certain length. Above 85gr or so, that translates to needing blunt profile. But, at least by my druthers, 85gr is the sweet spot.

The good news is that it is optimized for supersonic performance. The bad news is that it is optimized for supersonic performance. Rifle supressors weren't a big thing circa 1965.

And with the refrence to back in the day ;

It had a degree of popularity for large varmits, preditors, and as lite deer ctg since about a week after Remington introduced the civillian.223Rem. And from mid '60s to early '70s had some sucuess in Benchrest.

I was aware of many of those bbl sources. But since the AR panic before the recent AR panic, the 6x45 chambering would be still listed, but never actually available.

I'm in the midst of several unexpected expenses, but by spring, 6x45 will be on short list.

Footnote - The cartridge case of the 6mmTCU is essentially the 6x45 with the shoulder blown out and forewards. But being primarily used in single shots, is loaded with long, heavy bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom