• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I did some pretty extensive research before choosing 6.8 due to the ballistics and my hunting style. ARP is said to be one of the industry leaders. And I didn't feel like $200 shipped was bad for a barrel of that quality. And I've heard they're tack drivers so I'm looking forward to finishing up the build. Hoping to have it done in a month or two.

Do you think the 90g gold dot would be heavy enough for whitetail? Or should I shoot the 115g?

Absolutely, go over to the 6.8 forums, tons of info on the federal gold dot. You'll be surprised. And if for some reason you don't handload I'd be interested in your brass. ( to buy of course ) If ya need anything during your build pm me.
    Mike

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Absolutely, go over to the 6.8 forums, tons of info on the federal gold dot. You'll be surprised. And if for some reason you don't handload I'd be interested in your brass. ( to buy of course ) If ya need anything during your build pm me.
    Mike

I'm a member on the 68forums too but they aren't very active all the time. I don't reload currently but I'm going to get into it so I'll probably save all the brass I can. And thanks for the offer for help on the build. I've never built an upper before so the local shop I've been dealing with is going to walk me through it. They're great people.

Also, do u think the 6.8 is overkill for coyotes with a 90g bullet?

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Federal XM68GD is the 90 grain load. Federal came out with a 90 grain fusion. I chronographed the XM load and it was over 2900. Like I
    said palmetto runs it on sale. Usually under 10 bucks a box. I buy it for the brass. Where is your location?

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Federal XM68GD is the 90 grain load. Federal came out with a 90 grain fusion. I chronographed the XM load and it was over 2900. Like I
    said palmetto runs it on sale. Usually under 10 bucks a box. I buy it for the brass. Where is your location?

From what I've read the xm68gd and the 90g Fusion MSR is the same round, just repackaged.

I'm in Hagerstown.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I carried my AR10 in the deer woods for a few days but got skunked this year. Had 6 does and a black bear at my stand but never saw any horns. I had trouble getting a sling setup for it that I liked, did not want a tactical sling on a hunting rifle... Ended up getting a Quake Claw, cutting it apart and having my wife sew it back together with the QD swivels for the AR instead of the traditional swivels... I could not be more pleased with it.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I hunt varmints and coyotes with 5.56 usually because of ammo price. But I have smoked a coyote with my Garand... For coyotes and prairie dogs I use my HCS MK12 Mod1 with a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 in a PEPR mount. I never take that rifle in the mountains though, as it is a HEAVY bitch, and I am NOT in Navy SEAL shape. Hell I'm not even in sumo wrestler shape. I am in round shape however.... :)

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    300 Blackout, 16" 1/8 twist free float barrel on a rifle I built using an Engage Armament upper and lower. I topped it with a EOtech and 3x magnifier. My wife is a bit recoil adverse and wanted something semi auto with a simple reticle, hence this build. When finished, I was making hits out to 300 yds., however, that was just for fun. In all reality, this was intended to be 100 yard hunter. I decided on Barnes TAC TX 110 grain after reading several positive reviews. With my wife busy at work, I decided to take the rifle out for myself to see how it would do. In the last few minutes of shooting light, I had a doe wander in around 50 yards out. The optic was a big help in the lower light...after the shot, she ran about 40 yards and dropped. When field dressed, a large portion of one lung was destroyed and the heart was literally in three pieces. No doubt in my mind this is an effective hunting round that's very easy on the shoulder-Just what it was intended to be.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Here's one...

Attachments

• green gun.jpg
      green gun.jpg
      122.8 KB · Views: 248

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My son likes to carry a WW SRC 308 into the marsh and has taken alot of deer with it. He liked it even more when we replaced the telescoping stock with a fixed one. He runs a VX2 for optics and a cotton web sling. The 14 year old daughter likes it as well, says .30 saves a lot of trips into the phragmites when its time to pick them up.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Buddy of mine from last week in the Hill country of TX near Del Rio. Shot 9 hogs with an AR-15 .223 in about 10 mins. Shot the matriarch female of a sounder and the rest hung around for the dinner bell. It's all about shot placement. :D

I will be at the same place in 4 weeks with my 300blk.
    Bob 9.jpg

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    300blk with a Magpul Ctr. I've got a Condor Stryke sling on it I can tighten down to my chest when getting in and out of a stand. Love stalking deer with this gun. It is light and compact and only needs to go out to 50-75 yards at most. The Leupold vari XII 3-9 is a little too much power for it but I've gotta use what I've got.

Attachments

• IMG_0857.jpg
      IMG_0857.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 204

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    AR Hunting rigs

I have had a ball hunting with my AR's.Last year I took a very nice OK 10 pointer with my LMT 7.62. I shot stopped him in his tracks. I have been shooting hogs with everything from 5.56, .300 BO,.243, .17 HMR ( head shot's only) and 7.62's.
    I just moved my ATN ThOR to my .308 because many of the shots lately seem to be past 100 yards and the Winchester 150 gr. BST drops them on impact. I have friends who have other night vision optic's and I warn them, as soon as you look through one of ATN's product's you're just going to disappointed in what you have now. The detail is amazing all the way down to seeing mice at 50 yards in a wheat field.

Gotta love Texas for all the great hunting opportunities. As soon as deer season is over it's time to start on the predator population!

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-18%20at%209.44.27%20AM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom