• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Anyone here hunt with an AR? Deer, hogs, coyotes? Anyone have specs and pics of their setup?

What factory ammo you guys like for hunting?

Mine is chambered in 6.8 SPC and I'm leaning towards the Federal MSR 115g for deer and hogs and the MSR 90g for coyotes and other varmints. Opinions?

My setup so far:

Anderson stripped lower
    PSA Defender MOE LPK with NiB FCG
    Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock
    Anderson upper
    AR Performance 16" 5R Socom barrel
    AR Performance Vortex flash hider
    AR Performance NiB BCG
    Strike industries gas tube
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope
    CPD 10 round mags
    CPD 28 round mag

Still need a gas block, charging handle, Vortex scope mount and a handguard. Thinking of going with the ALG EMR V1 13" in black.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    6.8 spc hunter here. I love it for deer and hogs! I use the Federal Fusion 110gr (i think) and it turns their insides out.

Its topped off with a Burris Tac 30 1x4 and a Specwar 7.62 threaded on the end of it.

The gun is super light an so easy to handle in the woods. I dont think i'll ever go back to a "normal" hunting rifle.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    6.8 spc hunter here. I love it for deer and hogs! I use the Federal Fusion 110gr (i think) and it turns their insides out.

Its topped off with a Burris Tac 30 1x4 and a Specwar 7.62 threaded on the end of it.

The gun is super light an so easy to handle in the woods. I dont think i'll ever go back to a "normal" hunting rifle.

I believe the Fusion only comes in 90 or 115grain. Assuming your gun shoots well with that ammo?

I hear ya on the "normal" hunting rifle thing lol, my current deer rifle is a Savage 7mm rem mag.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Oh BTW, ditch the 28 round mag and dont get a charging handle with a large latch. Standard A2 charger is good.

I found out the hard way that large mags and latches hang up on stuff while hunting and can spook game.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I believe the Fusion only comes in 90 or 115grain. Assuming your gun shoots well with that ammo?

I hear ya on the "normal" hunting rifle thing lol, my current deer rifle is a Savage 7mm rem mag.

I just looked. Yes, its 115 gr ammo. I've never shot past 100 yards with it but it will easily do a 1" group at 100 yards. I tested all of the available 6.8 ammo on the market about 3 years ago and the Fusion shot the best for me.

I'll post some pics later, but our youtube channel in the link below has a 6.8 video. I've "updated" the gun since then

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I use this one for varmint/predator hunting. It has an 18" kreiger barell and wears a viper pst 2.5-10x. I use sierra 65gr gameking bullets and they have done a fine job on everything from groundhogs to fox havent had a chance to put one into a coyote yet.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
      attachment.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 563

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Stag 6.8 upper Factory build
    E R Shaw 25-45 sharps home build
    Bushmaster (old plant) 450 Bushmaster factory build
    I won't bore you with my details on the build but I can assure you it's nothing fancy but it works for me.
    Also all ammo is rolled by me for that perfect touch ;)

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    My old hog/deer hunting setup was
    300BLK 16" Sota Arms Upper on Engage E4 Lower
    Trijicon BLk ACOG with Clipon Armasight GenII Nightvision
    110gr or 115gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos, Drops hogs like a ton of bricks.

IMG_20131003_202115_493.jpg

Just finishing build on 12.2" 300blk Noveske Upper
    AAC SDN-762-6
    Armasight Zeus 3 Thermal Scope
    Hope to have a picture of it soon, waiting on scope.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    me like. And not suppressing it, just shooting it?

Thinking about 300 Blackout for 2017....but I am not all fired up about suppressing.

Let me know when you want to do the assembly, I'll give you a hand and let you use the tools I have on the workbench.

In addition to that, I have assembled a few 16" 300BLK uppers that are sub-MOA with good ammo. The real kicker is that the 16" 300BLK barrel is $100 plus ~$8 for shipping. If you want a parts list, Let me know and I'll send it to you via PM.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Running a 300BLK with a 16" AAC barrel, free floated with a 13" BCM KMR, YHM Phantom flash hider/comp, Alpha Shooting Sports laser engraved upper, Wilson FA BCG, AXTS Raptor, One of Lou's Adcor lowers, forgot who made the LPK, Geissle G2S (the 4# version), Magpul CTR stock, Spike's Tactical T1 buffer, Burris P.E.P.R. mount, Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 w/ BDC, Single point end plate, Magpul RSA, and Crosstac Ambi-Sling (for single point or 2 point).

I get 3/4 MOA with my hunting ammo.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While I am by no means advocating .223 as an all around deer ctg , I keep intending to use one at least one, just to make an anti-gunners head explode.

I have the ammo already, Black Hills loaded with 55gr X Bullet.

Either Sportster , or the noisy one. Will have to do group comparison between PSA , and the Wylde red upper I got from Mopar at summer Blue Fin show.

And get my 4th Quarter finances in shape for next year to go to WM instead of usual Va .

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm building a 6.8. Lower is done, but need to build the upper. Some friends ask me every year to get into hunting with them so I may get into it next year.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I still have my 6.8 AR. The 20" complete upper was built by Bison Armory,under $600, with free-float rail, and a Young's NM bolt carrier. I load 110gr Accubonds in SSA brass, 2750+ fps.

emkuba

May 24, 2013
    Just finished two 6.8 builds. One for a friend with the complete upper from Bison Armory: 18" barrel, YHM free float, Vortex Diamondback 3x9, Magpul CTR stock. Finished mine with a 18" Bison Armory barrel, 12.5" Odin Works M-lok handguard, ALG Defense trigger, Magpul Ctr stock. Both are shooting Hornady 120 gr SST. My friend took a nice 8 point with his a few weeks ago.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Oh BTW, ditch the 28 round mag and dont get a charging handle with a large latch. Standard A2 charger is good.

I found out the hard way that large mags and latches hang up on stuff while hunting and can spook game.

The 28 round mag is just to keep loaded at home. I'll use my 10 rounds to hunt.

You don't have any issue with the standard charging handle and a scope?

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Great choice on the 6.8. Those arp barrels are shooters for sure. My 6.8 is what I use mostly for deer. I also have had great performance with the 6x45. Both of those guys are aero upper and lower with RRA 2 stage triggers and blackhole weaponry barrels. I also have a ar 10 in 308 that's a great shooter. The only factory ammo I shot was the 90 grain federal gold dot. Palmetto will have sales on it and it shoots great. I'm like Buff, I handload everything. Enjoy your build!

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Great choice on the 6.8. Those arp barrels are shooters for sure. My 6.8 is what I use mostly for deer. I also have had great performance with the 6x45. Both of those guys are aero upper and lower with RRA 2 stage triggers and blackhole weaponry barrels. I also have a ar 10 in 308 that's a great shooter. The only factory ammo I shot was the 90 grain federal gold dot. Palmetto will have sales on it and it shoots great. I'm like Buff, I handload everything. Enjoy your build!

I did some pretty extensive research before choosing 6.8 due to the ballistics and my hunting style. ARP is said to be one of the industry leaders. And I didn't feel like $200 shipped was bad for a barrel of that quality. And I've heard they're tack drivers so I'm looking forward to finishing up the build. Hoping to have it done in a month or two.

Do you think the 90g gold dot would be heavy enough for whitetail? Or should I shoot the 115g?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom