• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hlpdobro

Sep 23, 2006
    Frederick Co MD
    For some reason I have a single Firefox install where mouse hover does not work on MDS. All installs are running V.56 on Win platforms.

This is a new Firefox profile. I can swap to the old profile where hover works as it should. All of my installs are synched.

Maybe something I missed in about:config?

Hoping the geeks among you will have a suggestion. I'm baffled.

tnx in advance

hp

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    FF profile bugs like that are why I switched to Chrome and never looked back. Could be a combo of settings you'll never figure out, which is why the standard advice in FF forums is to create a new profile and hope for the best. If it matters to you, the biggest reason to switch to Chrome is it uses *way* less memory, often by a magnitude of order. That's a big deal if you keep lots of tabs open like I do. Even better if you add The Great Suspender extension to Chrome.

hlpdobro

Sep 23, 2006
    Frederick Co MD
    Thanks guys,

I do have a Chrome install that runs side by side but FF will be the default in the near term.
    I'm quite sure this is NOT a server side issue. I created a new blank profile and hover works just fine.

So, before I admit defeat and start building/synching another new profile, any last minute thoughts on this?

Again thanks in advance.

h

hlpdobro

Sep 23, 2006
    Frederick Co MD
    Ahhhh......

"browser.chrome.toolbar_tips;true"

In infinite wisdom FF links the temporary "New Tab Tips" to hover. Toggle to "false" and hover is disabled.

All is now as it should be...

hp

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    If it matters to you, the biggest reason to switch to Chrome is it uses *way* less memory, often by a magnitude of order.

I'm not sure how long ago you left Firefox, but your claim on memory usage could not be further from the truth.

I will admit, there are plenty of reasons to be frustrated by Firefox, but Chrome has plenty of unsavoury components to consider when choosing a browser. Security and privacy top my list of considerations when using any software and for that reason alone Firefox has been, and continues to be, my browser of choice; but we'll have to see how long it lasts. The only reason Mozilla has survived this long is because of contribution$ from Google, however it remains fully open source and well regarded in the infosec community.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm not sure how long ago you left Firefox, but your claim on memory usage could not be further from the truth.

I installed the latest FF about two weeks ago to test it for a few days, version 56 I think. With four or five tabs open, it was using about 1GB of memory after a few minutes. Letting it sit indefinitely didn't help. Page loading was painfully slow compared to the latest version of Chrome. Seemed like no contest. I'm more inclined to believe my own testing on my computer versus what a website says.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I installed the latest FF about two weeks ago to test it for a few days, version 56 I think. With four or five tabs open, it was using about 1GB of memory after a few minutes. Letting it sit indefinitely didn't help. Page loading was painfully slow compared to the latest version of Chrome. Seemed like no contest. I'm more inclined to believe my own testing on my computer versus what a website says.

Very strange, I'm also running FF v. 56, with almost your exact results in reverse. Could have something to do with a difference in OS, or other configurations/extensions/etc, but on a whole (not speaking to your specific circumstance) Chrome has been roundly criticised for it's memory demands. It certainly is not known to be less demanding by an order of magnitude under any circumstances.

hlpdobro

Sep 23, 2006
    Frederick Co MD
    I like both browsers and have run them on the same platform for comparison. All I can say is that in My Environment FF outperformed Chrome.

Your Mileage May Certainly Vary

h

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom