Happy Independence Day from Maryland Shooters!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Celebrate Independence Day !

( But the fight for Freedom began 14.5 months earlier )

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    n3wPu6E.jpg

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    awesome

A longtime British friend lived for a few years in South Carolina, and now lives back in London. But he spent enough time here that he now “gets” America, and laments the UK’s growing dysfunction. This morning he favored me with a symbolic pouring of some Lipton tea into the Thames and offered all us rebels his best wishes.

Nice, indeed!!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Remember our brave Founding Fathers, re-read the Constitution, and write your politicians and request they re-read the Constitution and honor their oath of office! fred55

A great comment on a great thread!:patriot:

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Taking a moment to remember the service of my ancestors in establishing and defending our great nation. In 1776 16 year old Daniel McCollum and his father, Samuel, enlisted in a militia company of the First Rowan Regiment under Colonel Francis Locke in Rowan County NC. Daniel served until 1784, migrated to South Carolina, then to Georgia where he died in 1850. He collected a Revolutionary War pension of $13.33 twice a year from 1842 until his death. He's buried in the hill country of northeast Georgia. I spent a few years locating his burial site and petitioned the VA to provide a marker. We dedicated it on July 4, 2002.

Attachments

• Daniel Rev War.jpg
      Daniel Rev War.jpg
      67 KB · Views: 266

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Taking a moment to remember the service of my ancestors in establishing and defending our great nation. In 1776 16 year old Daniel McCollum and his father, Samuel, enlisted in a militia company of the First Rowan Regiment under Colonel Francis Locke in Rowan County NC. Daniel served until 1784, migrated to South Carolina, then to Georgia where he died in 1850. He collected a Revolutionary War pension of $13.33 twice a year from 1842 until his death. He's buried in the hill country of northeast Georgia. I spent a few years locating his burial site and petitioned the VA to provide a marker. We dedicated it on July 4, 2002.
    Thank you for telling his story. God Bless America

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    Happy fourth of jew lie

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m with Occam.
    This gets a full WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT?

Today is for all of America, sir.
    We are all Americans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Outstanding! That’s what America’s made of! RIP Hero!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

5Skirp0.jpg

I think I may have posted this a couple of years ago but I agree that it's worth remembering family who were active participants on this day.

Joshua Stone (1744-1822) rose thru the ranks to company commander of the VA Militia who fought in the Southern Campaigns, notably at King's Mountain and Cowpens.

https://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-War-Southern-Backcountry/dp/1589805038/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1XX64W7CKE45P&keywords=revolutionary+war+southern+campaign&qid=1562285652&s=books&sprefix=revolutionary+war+southern+campaign%2Caps%2C168&sr=1-2

Swisher's book is generally regarded as one of the more in-depth studies of this part of The Revolutionary War. It's an interesting read that documents history not widely taught in school.

Unlike the war up North, where great armies faced-off on a battlefield against one another, the Southern Campaigns were strictly guerilla warfare where enemies showed each other no mercy and no quarter. Each side was guilty of committing what would be considered 'war crimes' against the other. It was pretty much a bloodbath between loyalists and patriots in the rural areas of Virginia and North Carolina, very similar to what Director Roland Emmerich attempted to depict in the film, The Patriot.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    5Skirp0.jpg

I think I may have posted this a couple of years ago but I agree that it's worth remembering family who were active participants on this day.

Joshua Stone rose thru the ranks to company commander of the VA Militia who fought in the Southern Campaigns, notably at King's Mountain and Cowpens.

https://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-War-Southern-Backcountry/dp/1589805038/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1XX64W7CKE45P&keywords=revolutionary+war+southern+campaign&qid=1562285652&s=books&sprefix=revolutionary+war+southern+campaign%2Caps%2C168&sr=1-2

Swisher's book is generally regarded as one of the more in-depth studies of this part of The Revolutionary War. It's an interesting read that documents history not widely taught in school.

Unlike the war up North, where great armies faced-off on a battlefield against one another, the Southern Campaigns were strictly guerilla warfare where enemies showed each other no mercy and no quarter. Each side was guilty of committing what would be considered 'war crimes' against the other. It was pretty much a bloodbath between loyalists and patriots in the rural areas of Virginia and North Carolina, very similar to what Director Roland Emmerich attempted to depict in the film, The Patriot.

Daniel McCollum and his father spent most of the war chasing and skirmishing with Tories in North and South Carolina. They encountered the infamous dragoons of LTC Banistre Tarleton, who was depicted as LTC Taviston in The Patriot. His unit was notorious for taking no prisoners. They bayoneted anyone they captured. This became known as Tarleton's Quarter. One particular incident became known as Buford's Massacre for the name of the patriot commander who died with his men. One of Daniel's fellow militiamen in his company related a "war crime" in his pension application. Tarleton's dragoons and some Tories swept through the area and slaughtered some civilians including a 15 year old boy who lived long enough to tell how they were bayoneted. The militia caught up with the Tories, killed a few and captured one. During the night a few militiamen took retribution by hacking the prisoner to death with swords. They shouted "Remember Buford" while killing him.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Daniel McCollum and his father spent most of the war chasing and skirmishing with Tories in North and South Carolina. They encountered the infamous dragoons of LTC Banistre Tarleton, who was depicted as LTC Taviston in The Patriot. His unit was notorious for taking no prisoners. They bayoneted anyone they captured. This became known as Tarleton's Quarter. One particular incident became known as Buford's Massacre for the name of the patriot commander who died with his men. One of Daniel's fellow militiamen in his company related a "war crime" in his pension application. Tarleton's dragoons and some Tories swept through the area and slaughtered some civilians including a 15 year old boy who lived long enough to tell how they were bayoneted. The militia caught up with the Tories, killed a few and captured one. During the night a few militiamen took retribution by hacking the prisoner to death with swords. They shouted "Remember Buford" while killing him.

I can only imagine. It's bad enough to go to war but going to war in your own back yard must've been a nightmare, where neighbors literally became your sworn enemy overnight and no atrocity was too heinous to commit.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    also, people in the south swapped sides often. Have I full Cherokee ancestor that lived to be 104 that fought on that hill where that British tyrant was killed. I will find the info and post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom