The "Sun is Setting Between the Trees" Again!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Forgive my asking a seemingly stupid question here, but doesn't the setting sun ALWAYS reach the trees?

...Like every day as it drops down to the horizon?:)

Its the location of the trees j8064 is using as a reference point. In the summer- sunset is farther north, in the winter - sunset is more southerly.

Exactly, Inigoes! The trees are simply reference points. In the pic below taken on June 20 (the summer solstice) the sun passed between the two larger trees on the right as it set. That's as far north as it gets.

I added the sun's position from the pic taken on August 11 so it's easy to see how much further south the sun is setting as we move toward fall.

Not an exact science. But it's one of the telltale signs fall is coming sooner rather than later...

Attachments

• 06_20_2015  08_11_2015 combined highlight w dates.jpg
      06_20_2015 08_11_2015 combined highlight w dates.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 554
    Feb 28, 2013
    Exactly, Inigoes! The trees are simply reference points. In the pic below taken on June 20 (the summer solstice) the sun passed between the two larger trees on the right as it set. That's as far north as it gets.

I added the sun's position from the pic taken on August 11 so it's easy to see how much further south the sun is setting as we move toward fall.

Not an exact science. But it's one of the telltale signs fall is coming sooner rather than later...

Interesting.

That's pretty cool how you added the other sunset to the picture. :D

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Very interesting.

Years ago we went to Ireland and visited some burial mounds that were built about 1,000 years ago and the entrance to the mound lined up with the rising sun during the winter solstice and reached all the way to the inside of the mound through a very narrow walkway.

It then lit up a ceremonial rock and gave everyone in attendance super human powers for exactly 24 hours. (Okay, I made this part up but very cool none the less....)

Trek4Ward

Hooligan #10
    Mar 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Very interesting.

Years ago we went to Ireland and visited some burial mounds that were built about 1,000 years ago and the entrance to the mound lined up with the rising sun during the winter solstice and reached all the way to the inside of the mound through a very narrow walkway.

It then lit up a ceremonial rock and gave everyone in attendance super human powers for exactly 24 hours. (Okay, I made this part up but very cool none the less....)

Super human pint drinking powers maybe.....

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    What a Difference 10 Days Makes

Back on 8/11 the sun was setting "Between the Trees". Not anymore... It's headed south PDQ. Ten days later? It's setting south of the"trees" and we're already seeing the very early signs of fall on some of the foliage.

That's OK. I still have plenty of time and oil on hand to finish my fall "oil changing" chores. But, it's not just one machine! There's the snow blower, the riding mower. the ATV, the push mower. the chain saws, the generator, the pressure washer - and oh - let's not forget the string trimmer! In the meantime, the driving vehicles need their oil changed too...

It just NEVER ends... :innocent0

Enjoy autumn. It's coming very soon!

:party29:

Attachments

• 08_21_2015 SNIP DSC04285.jpg
      08_21_2015 SNIP DSC04285.jpg
      74 KB · Views: 494
    • Oil DSC04281.jpg
      Oil DSC04281.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 477

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    If you cut those trees down will it delay the winter from coming?

I think SRD and I are the official "i hate winter"posters on MDS.

I'm loving this heat and humidity right now!!!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Fall is a' Coming! Very Soon!

It's not as if we can avoid it. In fact, I kinda like autumn. Crisp nights and pretty leaves aren't a problem at all. It's the icy adventure coming next... :banghead:

With only a little more than two weeks to go, the first day of fall will arrive 9/23 here in Garrett County. Maples are already showing color. Butternut trees are dropping leaves and pods. Even my tomato plants are petering out - AND!... the sun is now setting way past it's "alert point".

Not only have I changed the oil in all my important yard machines, I have a new set of YakTrax on hand. Mooseman taught me well!

Enjoy autumn! Winter is not far away...

:innocent0

Attachments

• 06_20_2015  08_11_2015 & 09_06_2015 combined highlight w dates.jpg
      06_20_2015 08_11_2015 & 09_06_2015 combined highlight w dates.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 473
    • Yak Trax 09_06_2015.JPG
      Yak Trax 09_06_2015.JPG
      64.8 KB · Views: 451

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Leaves Falling in Deep Creek? Already?!

Hey, the calendar says the first day of autumn isn't until September 23 this year! Right? That's 11 days from now! Then WTF are those things beginning to collect in my driveway? Falling leaves? Do they not know fall hasn't begun? It cannot be! :tantrum:

It's only a beginning... There will be mountains of leaves to deal with before the trees are finished shedding. AND, once the sun began "setting between the trees" last month -> I got all the maintenance done on my machines and stocked up on necessary winter supplies. :)

Autumn is a beautiful time of year. Enjoy every moment! :party29:

Are you ready for what comes next? :innocent0 ;)

Attachments

• 09_12_2015 Leaves Capture.jpg
      09_12_2015 Leaves Capture.jpg
      67.9 KB · Views: 445

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The Sun is Setting Between the Trees Again - Reprise...

Well, it's not technically "between the trees" anymore because I lost one of my reference points when the large dead locust tree near it was cut down this past year. That tree is among the pile of logs in this year's pic awaiting chain saw action. It's destined to become part of this winter's firewood.

I couldn't resist taking a pic yesterday evening to coincide with the date of last year's pic. Some observations:
    • A year passes pretty damned quickly
    • The seasons march on whether or not we are paying attention
    • There are plenty of late summer chores ahead in order to prepare for fall and the inevitable winter that will follow
    • And the more things change - the more they stay the same

Just like last year there are still some great late summer days ahead to enjoy. And there's enough time to get our winter prep chores done. The autumnal equinox officially arrives Sept 22. But here in Deep Creek we know our fall season usually begins right after Labor Day.

...and we definitely know what comes next...

;)

Attachments

• DSC06044 SNIP w date.jpg
      DSC06044 SNIP w date.jpg
      72.9 KB · Views: 443

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04