• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    Howdy. New to the area after living in Alaska for the last 10 years or so. Originally from the east coast.

Started hunting once I moved up there and intend to keep going down here.,although I'm totally new to whitetails, birds, and other stuff that lives in MD. Working on learning archery to extend my season since there isn't much rifle season around here. Also hoping to get my kids going on safe shooting, hunting, etc.

I do have a 16' Carolina skiff with a jet outboard I plan to put to good use. Happy to trade some boat time for hunting help, so reach out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for having the courtesy to introduce yourself.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

MD Shooters Firearms Map

Acronym list[/FONT]

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    For better or worse we are from the PA/NJ area originally, so it's not quite the same as moving to a foreign country... The kids on the other hand....

Any other PG folks know the rules on target shooting archery in your yard? Can't find anything that mentions archery online in the muni code...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    No idea on archery rules, as a kid I used to shoot those kid type bows I got at K-Mart way back in the 80's and early 90's, but things have changed so much over the years and I have no idea on more modern stuff. I believe there are some archery clubs/ranges around the area but dont know specifics sorry, I am sure someone will have more info on it.

Myrtle Grove WMA has an archery "range" as well as an 8-lane rifle/pistol range (out to 100yards) and is your closest (well depending on where in PG) outdoor range.
    Decent fishing there as well, and lots of walking trails. If you are gonna use their range more than a few times a year its better to get the yearly pass from the site above, its $20 a year or $5 an hour/day (depending on crowds).

For rifle/pistol indoor ranges there is Maryland Small Arms Range (MSAR) right "behind" Andrews AFB and there is Freds in Waldorf.

If you are in Southern PG the best (IMHO) "local" gun shops would be Gymratz in Mechanicsville MD and Big Dog Outfitters in King George VA (about 40min south down 301). I avoid Freds for a variety of reasons, but you may like them.
    If you want standard capacity magazine (aka over 10 round) Proven Arms in Dale City VA (30 to 40min ish drive over near Potomac Mills Mall) and Big Dog Outfitters as mentioned before. (Proven Arms is usually a decent bit cheaper though especially if you join their club program thing)

If you are military or ex-military with AAFES access, the AAFES on Andrews AFB and at Ft Meade sell firearms and accessories as well.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Welcome to the county with the best government that money can buy...

As far as archery, also check the city ordinances. And the HOA covenants. The amount of regulation here rivals that of East Germany; there are still a few things you CAN do.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Welcome! If you are interested in getting your kids into safe shooting, Project Appleseed is very active in the area around PG county with upcoming clinics in Annapolis, Lexington Park, Marriottsville, and (hopefully next year) Bowie. Also a good way to get some exposure to the local shooting/hunting/fishing clubs that host the events. We are toward the end of the year, but still have some events on the calendar: https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qstate=MD&state=Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom