• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Hey guys, so I'm wondering what a lot of people run for 3 gun events. I did a steel only about a year ago and it was awesome and plan to do a few events for fun this year. I did my first event was a pistol only with a serpa holster and an uncle mikes 2 mag holder, and I've started buying better gear. Safari belt, holster... I'm sure much more to come.

I was wondering what ya'll run, belts to rifles and everything in between. I searched and didn't find a topic as specific.

So, if you will, discuss what you have any why you chose it and if you changed it, what would you switch to. Pictures please.

My basics so far, or what I plan to run:
    Glock 34: I carry a glock for work and I like their simplicity.
    Beretta 1301 comp: I bird hunt with a similar Beretta, which was my reason to buy the 1301.
    AR15: haven't decided yet, I have 3 SBR's, and 2 20" A2 hbars, not sure if any of them are ideal, but i'll probably run an HBAR till I get to learn the limitations of any gun and myself.
    Gear is: crossbread carry belt, serpa holster and 2 mag holder, with safari upgrades on the way.

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    there is SO MUCH out there to choose from. highly suggest you hit a few matches with what you got and see what others are using and what works for them and if it might work for you before you go loading up on gear. i did my first couple of 3 gun matches with my bdu pockets full of shot shells.

your glock and serpa are perfect, you def want solid retention for your pistol when going prone, running, etc.
    you want/need an extended tube for your shottie, want to be able to hold at least 9 in the gun with an empty chamber.
    AR is really more about scope than anything else. most run a 1-4 and now 1-6, but some do run with nonmagnified optics in separate divisions.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Due to the ridiculous laws in MD, you're stuck with HBARs. So, I'd suggest you get a 16" stainless steel heavy barrel, 15" keymod handguard, adjustable gas block, lightweight bolt carrier group, and a light buffer. Put those on one of your lowers, put a better trigger in said lower, and slap a 1-4x or 1-6x scope on it. The Serpa is fine, but I'm running a Bladetech holster, so my pistol is still held in decent retention, but I'm not pushing buttons to get it out. Shotgun shell caddies are a must, pulling shells from your pockets can get frustrating. Taccom makes good ones for quad loading. Mag holders is kind of personal. I'm using Blackhawk! holders for now, since they work with belts and my battle belt.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Due to the ridiculous laws in MD, you're stuck with HBARs

Should have been more specific, The hbars are A2 carry handle, actually so is one of the sbrs. So it's really an optics height concern. I'll probably end up building another upper similar to what you describe, I have the upper and a 14" keymod handgaurd already.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Your gonna need to get yourself one of these

Attachments

• 3 Gun Cart 1@f2ec91076e3a4586a65cfe597fdbd727.jpg
      3 Gun Cart 1@f2ec91076e3a4586a65cfe597fdbd727.jpg
      128.4 KB · Views: 697
    • 3 Gun Cart 3.jpg
      3 Gun Cart 3.jpg
      99.2 KB · Views: 687

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Much depends on your desired division, factory/tac limited= 15rd pistol mags, 30rd rifle, 8rd tube shotgun, single unmagnified optic only. Basically add an extension tube for the 1301 which is an excellent choice out of the box, but most add an oversized bolt release, loading port work, big FO bead. The G34 is another excellent choice, you can add good sights, good trigger, extended controls, and use the stock mags. Most run a 14.5-18" flat top rifle, long free float forend, good trigger, ambi safety, oversized controls, fixed or sturdy stock, and some flavor of a red dot. Practical/Tac optic allows 140mm mags, longer shotgun tube and a magnified rifle optic, most run this, adding an extension for 12 shells is great, you can load 4 more shells after the start, and it helps on long shotgun strings. Add a magwell and extended mag base plates for 20+rds in the pistol, and a 1-X on the rifle, some also allow larger rifle mags, although 40rd magpuls are about the largest I've ever really needed, drums get heavy and bulky. Open allows optics and comps on everything, speedloaders or mag-fed shotguns, Heavy has odd rules for optics and mag capacities, with a 308 rilfe, 45 pistol and 12ga, these 2 divisions are expensive and not beginner friendly.

Depending on the match, you might have a couple reload or "start empty" stages for the rifle and handgun, so one mag in the weapon, and mag pouches for 1-2 rifle mags and 2-3 pistol mags(2 single pouches are faster to pull from than a double), shell caddies that add up to 16-20 shotgun shells with a spot for up to 6 slugs if the match calls for them. Some matches require slings, a QD 2 point setup on the rifle and shotgun is good to have, should be simple and easy to use. A 2 piece belt is a must, ELS or tek-loks are awesome for swapping around gear, might have a shotgun heavy "start empty" shotgun and pistol stage where you need a lot of mags and carriers, no rifle, then the next might have prone rifle shooting and no shotgun, so ditching the carriers quick is great. You need eyes, ears, tools and a couple parts to fix a gun if it acts up, chamber flags too. A good cart or wagon to haul everything, a good range bag, long gun cases, cooler for drinks and lunch, maybe a folding chair if you get stuck waiting behind a slow squad. Sunscreen, bug spray, gloves for cleaning up, and probably double the amount of ammo the match director calls for.

There is a great series of videos on youtube by a competitor "Mac" called "3 gun life", a lot of good info if you are new to the sport. You need to be aware of the rules, most DQs are for dumping a weapon without engaging the safety or breaking the "180 rule", where your muzzle moves past a line directly parallel to the berm that follows you down the course. Most everyone can shoot well when they start, but a few skills are critical, loading the shotgun more than most, you need to practice fast doubletaps with the rifle, shooting offhand or leaning the rifle against a barricade at longer ranges, being prepared to shoot, move and load efficiently and planning out your run. All in all the best way to learn is to shoot a match with whatever you have, then you will better know what you need.

This is my Tac ops/Practical rig, 18" Mega rifle/MML upper topped with a Vortex strike eagle, M&P pro and JM930 pro. The belt has a "kitchen sink" loadout, would never use that much gear in 1 stage, but the placement is accurate, Taccom dual-loadX6 caddy for quick strong side twin loads or slugs, X8quad caddies(weak side) for most shotgun shot reloading, single blade tech mag pouches with a double in case of a stupid long pistol stage, blade tech AR mag pouches(20rd mags are great for shooting prone), Blade tech black ice with drop/offset holster. basically the overlap/buckle should be about 5:00, not upfront so it doesn't interfere with the shell caddies, I add some velcro to the back of the tek-loks so the outer belt is secured better to the inner belt. You want to move gear twards the front, so it's easier to reach, spaced far enough apart that you don't hit stuff when pulling mags longer rifle mags are easier to reach in the back than pistol mags(normally run 1 X8 quad caddy weakside, 1 x6 dual caddy strongside, 2 single pistol and 1 single rifle pouches on most stages). I personally quad load MUCH easier weak side, flip the shotgun over and trap with my right elbow, pull shells and load with my left hand and gravity helps get them into the port, and not drop to the ground. I can load duals quicker strong side, turn the shotgun to the side while shouldered pull and toss 2 in, then right back on target, so I usually keep a caddy there so I can toss in a quick 2 shells or slugs.
    20170112_220105.jpg

20170112_215542.jpg

20170112_215609.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Heavy has odd rules for optics and mag capacities, with a 308 rilfe, 45 pistol and 12ga, these 2 divisions are expensive and not beginner friendly.

I started with this, except I used a 10mm 1911.

You need eyes, ears, tools and a couple parts to fix a gun if it acts up, chamber flags too. A good cart or wagon to haul everything, a good range bag, long gun cases, cooler for drinks and lunch, maybe a folding chair if you get stuck waiting behind a slow squad. Sunscreen, bug spray, gloves for cleaning up, and probably double the amount of ammo the match director calls for.

A fold up wagon from Dick's is $60 on sale, much easier than dealing with a cart.

This is my Tac ops/Practical rig, 18" Mega rifle/MML upper topped with a Vortex strike eagle, M&P pro and JM930 pro. The belt has a "kitchen sink" loadout, would never use that much gear in 1 stage, but the placement is accurate, Taccom dual-loadX6 caddy for quick strong side twin loads or slugs, X8quad caddies(weak side) for most shotgun shot reloading, single blade tech mag pouches with a double in case of a stupid long pistol stage, blade tech AR mag pouches(20rd mags are great for shooting prone), Blade tech black ice with drop/offset holster. basically the overlap/buckle should be about 5:00, not upfront so it doesn't interfere with the shell caddies, I add some velcro to the back of the tek-loks so the outer belt is secured better to the inner belt. You want to move gear twards the front, so it's easier to reach, spaced far enough apart that you don't hit stuff when pulling mags longer rifle mags are easier to reach in the back than pistol mags(normally run 1 X8 quad caddy weakside, 1 x6 dual caddy strongside, 2 single pistol and 1 single rifle pouches on most stages). I personally quad load MUCH easier weak side, flip the shotgun over and trap with my right elbow, pull shells and load with my left hand and gravity helps get them into the port, and not drop to the ground. I can load duals quicker strong side, turn the shotgun to the side while shouldered pull and toss 2 in, then right back on target, so I usually keep a caddy there so I can toss in a quick 2 shells or slugs.
    View attachment 195336

View attachment 195334

View attachment 195335

I split mine out so I'm not wearing the shell caddies for stages where I have to go prone. I have a separate battle belt for stages where there is no shotgun but may require a rifle reload.

MD_3%er

Jul 3, 2011
    Nottingham, MD
    Much depends on your desired division, factory/tac limited= 15rd pistol mags, 30rd rifle, 8rd tube shotgun, single unmagnified optic only. Basically add an extension tube for the 1301 which is an excellent choice out of the box, but most add an oversized bolt release, loading port work, big FO bead. The G34 is another excellent choice, you can add good sights, good trigger, extended controls, and use the stock mags. Most run a 14.5-18" flat top rifle, long free float forend, good trigger, ambi safety, oversized controls, fixed or sturdy stock, and some flavor of a red dot. Practical/Tac optic allows 140mm mags, longer shotgun tube and a magnified rifle optic, most run this, adding an extension for 12 shells is great, you can load 4 more shells after the start, and it helps on long shotgun strings. Add a magwell and extended mag base plates for 20+rds in the pistol, and a 1-X on the rifle, some also allow larger rifle mags, although 40rd magpuls are about the largest I've ever really needed, drums get heavy and bulky. Open allows optics and comps on everything, speedloaders or mag-fed shotguns, Heavy has odd rules for optics and mag capacities, with a 308 rilfe, 45 pistol and 12ga, these 2 divisions are expensive and not beginner friendly.

Depending on the match, you might have a couple reload or "start empty" stages for the rifle and handgun, so one mag in the weapon, and mag pouches for 1-2 rifle mags and 2-3 pistol mags(2 single pouches are faster to pull from than a double), shell caddies that add up to 16-20 shotgun shells with a spot for up to 6 slugs if the match calls for them. Some matches require slings, a QD 2 point setup on the rifle and shotgun is good to have, should be simple and easy to use. A 2 piece belt is a must, ELS or tek-loks are awesome for swapping around gear, might have a shotgun heavy "start empty" shotgun and pistol stage where you need a lot of mags and carriers, no rifle, then the next might have prone rifle shooting and no shotgun, so ditching the carriers quick is great. You need eyes, ears, tools and a couple parts to fix a gun if it acts up, chamber flags too. A good cart or wagon to haul everything, a good range bag, long gun cases, cooler for drinks and lunch, maybe a folding chair if you get stuck waiting behind a slow squad. Sunscreen, bug spray, gloves for cleaning up, and probably double the amount of ammo the match director calls for.

There is a great series of videos on youtube by a competitor "Mac" called "3 gun life", a lot of good info if you are new to the sport. You need to be aware of the rules, most DQs are for dumping a weapon without engaging the safety or breaking the "180 rule", where your muzzle moves past a line directly parallel to the berm that follows you down the course. Most everyone can shoot well when they start, but a few skills are critical, loading the shotgun more than most, you need to practice fast doubletaps with the rifle, shooting offhand or leaning the rifle against a barricade at longer ranges, being prepared to shoot, move and load efficiently and planning out your run. All in all the best way to learn is to shoot a match with whatever you have, then you will better know what you need.

View attachment 195336

View attachment 195334

View attachment 195335

Great info! Where do you find matches?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    york iwla puts on ~monthly and then special 3 gun matches.

not as close but peacemaker does 3 gun and thurmont (tcsc) started doing that also.

matches listed here in competition forum; also check out brianenos.com and their 3 gun page.

sure others do also, but peacemaker does have intro to 3 gun classes periodically. also, just go spectate a match or two to get a feel for it.

MD_3%er

Jul 3, 2011
    Nottingham, MD
    york iwla puts on ~monthly and then special 3 gun matches.

not as close but peacemaker does 3 gun and thurmont (tcsc) started doing that also.

matches listed here in competition forum; also check out brianenos.com and their 3 gun page.

sure others do also, but peacemaker does have intro to 3 gun classes periodically. also, just go spectate a match or two to get a feel for it.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Are the classes worthwhile?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    personally i got into competitive shooting without any classes. but for folks who want a hand getting started, or perhaps a faster learning curve, a class should be a good thing. just spectate one or two then jump in. maybe start off doing idpa or uspsa or even steel challenge, ie, with one gun. once you get into the competitive spirit, and have the safety issues covered (muzzle downrange, finger outside triggerguard) then no problem adding another gun or two (ie 2 and 3 gun).

don't think you're too far from york? they have some fun shoots and the like that would be a good starting point.

MD_3%er

Jul 3, 2011
    Nottingham, MD
    personally i got into competitive shooting without any classes. but for folks who want a hand getting started, or perhaps a faster learning curve, a class should be a good thing. just spectate one or two then jump in. maybe start off doing idpa or uspsa or even steel challenge, ie, with one gun. once you get into the competitive spirit, and have the safety issues covered (muzzle downrange, finger outside triggerguard) then no problem adding another gun or two (ie 2 and 3 gun).

don't think you're too far from york? they have some fun shoots and the like that would be a good starting point.

York IWLA?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I started with this, except I used a 10mm 1911.

A fold up wagon from Dick's is $60 on sale, much easier than dealing with a cart.

I split mine out so I'm not wearing the shell caddies for stages where I have to go prone. I have a separate battle belt for stages where there is no shotgun but may require a rifle reload.

They changed heavy to require 308/7.62, 45, and 12ga and combined heavy sport and heavy optic. Sport doesn't limit mag lenths beyond the practical division, but requires irons or a non-magnified rifle optic and a pump shotgun. Heavy optics limits to 10rds in the pistol, 20 in the rifle, and 8rd tubes in the shotgun, can use a magnified rifle optic and semi-auto shotgun.

I picked up a wagon, and it does OK, lots of storage, but IMO carts are a bit easier to push around. Being you have to basically lay long guns horizontal in wagons, they have to be cased, where they can be stored muzzle down or up in most carts, good for keeping the sun from heating it up, and for cases that have pockets for mags and stuff, but sucks to have to case and uncase the long guns at every stage.

The caddies are bulky, but beat most alternatives. I like the belt caddies, they stay put and are comfortable, but might add a chest caddy this year. They are inherently ambi, hold a ton of shells, and don't get in the way as much as the belt caddies. I can swap them on or off quick with the tek-loks depending on stages, only had 1 stage last year where I needed to load shotgun shells and shoot prone, but no handgun, so shifted the caddies to the sides 3:00 and 9:00, rifle mags about 7-8:00, and it worked well.

Great info! Where do you find matches?

A few ranges around, most are posted on the Forum, attend one, and you will likely get nfo about others in the area, the Brian Enos forums also have a lot posted. Most use practiscore for signups and scores, so sign up for that.

York Isaac Walton has some of the best around, subscribe to their blog, and sign up when they post.
    https://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

Thurmont has great beginner friendly matches(beginner to 3 gun, not shooting) the stages are smaller and simpler than York, so it's easier to learn there.
    http://www.tcandsc.org/disciplines/3-gun

JJM82

Sep 20, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    York also does a monthly fun shoot. Usually pistol, shotgun and PCC only. Some movement involved but not mandatory. Some stages allow for multiple guns. Not timed unless you want to be. Its fun and a great place to start before you get into any of their matches.

https://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown

View attachment 195336

View attachment 195334

View attachment 195335

This is my setup so far. Except for the new belt and holster I've ordered. I like your belt setup, and I believe that could be one of the more important parts of anyone's setup that can make or break them over any gun in your kit. You've clearly practiced and modified multiple times to achieve your current setup. The 20rd pmag is a good idea for prone and something I wouldn't have considered.

The AR is an armalite I've had for many years.

I bought a vortex optic for it, but then sold it to a friend for his 3gun AR since he had a flattop and wasn't sure I wanted to run optics on top of a carry handle.

My thoughts for now are get optics for it again, run it and then build a new upper for it or one of my other lowers.

Attachments

• IMG_5331.jpg
      IMG_5331.jpg
      92.6 KB · Views: 386

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads