• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swollseyba

Jun 28, 2016
    Hello All,

I am sure this has been covered before but can anyone recommend an Attorney for creating a NFA Trust?

I used the search function in the forums and came up dry. Is this against MDshooters policy? If so, I apologize and please ignore.

thanks

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I used Stouffer, they were great. Even did the fingerprinting, pictures, and helped me fill out the paperwork to submit for a SBR.

www.stoufferlegal.com

If you absolutely definitely want an attorney trust, this is the only place I woudl go. Britt Stouffer knows the Maryland firearms law extremely well, and she has also done a LOT of work for our community and fighting for our rights.

That said, I used 199trust.com and I am very happy with what I got for my $60.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    If you absolutely definitely want an attorney trust, this is the only place I woudl go. Britt Stouffer knows the Maryland firearms law extremely well, and she has also done a LOT of work for our community and fighting for our rights.

Tell me how this works.

I just looked at the site, and am intrigued.

I have a SCAR 17 that I would like to SBR, if I complete the Trust, what do I do after I get it notarized.

Equally, if I want to go and buy a NFA item at the shop, how is the trust utilized?

Thanks,

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

Hawkeye:thumbsup: Are you still buying suppressors thru the Trust or using the new method whereby you buy them for your personal ownership?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Tell me how this works.

I just looked at the site, and am intrigued.

I have a SCAR 17 that I would like to SBR, if I complete the Trust, what do I do after I get it notarized.

Equally, if I want to go and buy a NFA item at the shop, how is the trust utilized?

Thanks,

Basically, you pay them (I think it's currently $80). They give you access to a form on their site that you fill out. Within a day or so after you do the form, they email you a completed copy of your Trust. You print this out, and get it signed and notarized, and then your trust is officially created.

After that, you can use the Trust to either purchase or make NFA items. The trust, as a legal entity, is the owner or the maker of said items, and the items can be used or possessed by anyone who is a full Trustee of the trust.

If you want to SBR your SCAR17, you fill out a Form 1 (an application to Make an NFA firearm) using the TRUST as the maker of the firearm, not you personally. Then you send it to the ATF with a check for $200 (this can be a personal check from you, it doesn't have to be from a Trust bank account or anything) and then you wait.

If you want to go and buy an NFA item, you take a copy of your Trust with you, and you and the dealer will use the TRUST's information (not your own personal info) to fill out the Form 4 (an application to transfer an NFA firearm). Then you send it and the $200 check to the ATF and wait.

I've successfully used my 199Trust.com trust to do a Form 1 SBR and a Form 4 for a suppressor. I have two more Form 4s pending for it right now.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have a ton of trust experience beyond being a Trustee for a trust for my mom, and being the Settlor and Trustee for my own NFA trust. I'm happy with the 199Trust as a document and as a company to deal with.

Hawkeye:thumbsup: Are you still buying suppressors thru the Trust or using the new method whereby you buy them for your personal ownership?

I haven't bought anything new since June, but the two I have pending right now are on my Trust also. I got them in prior to 41F. If I do buy anything else (and I'm already looking, the new Rugged Oculus .22 can looks freaking awesome) it will be on the Trust. It's still a useful legal instrument and I feel it has advantages over personal ownership.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Basically, you pay them (I think it's currently $80). They give you access to a form on their site that you fill out. Within a day or so after you do the form, they email you a completed copy of your Trust. You print this out, and get it signed and notarized, and then your trust is officially created.

After that, you can use the Trust to either purchase or make NFA items. The trust, as a legal entity, is the owner or the maker of said items, and the items can be used or possessed by anyone who is a full Trustee of the trust.

If you want to SBR your SCAR17, you fill out a Form 1 (an application to Make an NFA firearm) using the TRUST as the maker of the firearm, not you personally. Then you send it to the ATF with a check for $200 (this can be a personal check from you, it doesn't have to be from a Trust bank account or anything) and then you wait.

If you want to go and buy an NFA item, you take a copy of your Trust with you, and you and the dealer will use the TRUST's information (not your own personal info) to fill out the Form 4 (an application to transfer an NFA firearm). Then you send it and the $200 check to the ATF and wait.

I've successfully used my 199Trust.com trust to do a Form 1 SBR and a Form 4 for a suppressor. I have two more Form 4s pending for it right now.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have a ton of trust experience beyond being a Trustee for a trust for my mom, and being the Settlor and Trustee for my own NFA trust. I'm happy with the 199Trust as a document and as a company to deal with.

I haven't bought anything new since June, but the two I have pending right now are on my Trust also. I got them in prior to 41F. If I do buy anything else (and I'm already looking, the new Rugged Oculus .22 can looks freaking awesome) it will be on the Trust. It's still a useful legal instrument and I feel it has advantages over personal ownership.

Thank you Hawkeye.

This was very helpful.

oh... one more thing if you do not mind me asking,

What did you name your trust?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I named it Lastname NFA Trust because it was short enough to easily engrave on stuff. If you do a Form 1 you have to engrave the name of your trust and it's city / state on the item you're building. You also generally want to keep it simple to reduce the opportunity to make mistakes when filling out the NFA paperwork. A comma, or a period, or a capital letter out of place and the ATF will reject the form. It has to match the trust paperwork perfectly each time.

Oh, that's "my last name" not literally "Lastname."

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I named it Lastname NFA Trust because it was short enough to easily engrave on stuff. If you do a Form 1 you have to engrave the name of your trust and it's city / state on the item you're building. You also generally want to keep it simple to reduce the opportunity to make mistakes when filling out the NFA paperwork. A comma, or a period, or a capital letter out of place and the ATF will reject the form. It has to match the trust paperwork perfectly each time.

Oh, that's "my last name" not literally "Lastname."

I used "my initials" Trust as the name. Works well if you have a long last name ;-)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    and you can add family members to the trust, is that right? so i could add my son and my brother?

Which trust are you referring to?

Everything about trusts is specific to a given trust. It all depends on what the specific language for that trust is.

However, in general yes, for a revocable living trust (what most "NFA" trusts are) you, as the Settlor, can add or remove trustees at any point. But again, that's not universal, and it will depend on the language used in a given trust. For me, with my 199trust.com trust, I, as the Settlor, can add or remove Trustees whenever I see fit to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom