• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumbert

Mar 23, 2015
    SOMD
    Between paying off pre election purchases, Christmas, and desperately needing tires...I'm not going to have any gun money for quite a while :sad20:

If you don't mind my asking, why are you trying to get rid of it?

Not actively trying, but I inherited a lot of stuff I'll never shoot that's pretty much brand new. Traded some stuff around, sold some other stuff.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP said * first* not only .

.22lr is excellent for a first.

I like revolvers, and .22 revolvers have lots of good qualities even beyond my biases. Compact rimfire revolvers have disproportionately heavy DA triggers due to laws of physics.

Single Sixes are preferable to Bearcats unless you are 9yo or a midget.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I want a Ruger 22LR Revolver. What do you think? Montgomery County.

I've got a Flatgate Ruger Single six 22 cal revolver at A1Uniform Supply on consignment (Brentwood MD so not far at all)

Awesome shooting gun
    Easy, consider the suggestion above. It's a great gun to introduce new shooters, and with the flatgate a classic no longer in production.

I have a somewhat similar Colt Frontier Scout revolver in 22 (also out of production) that new shooters love. I also have a Smith & Wesson 617 (DA/SA revolver that holds 10 rounds of 22), but the connection to the cowboy styled Colt or flatgate Ruger Single Six appeals to folks. They're also pretty accurate range pistols.

I think another first revolver to consider is a heavy barreled Smith & Wesson Model 64 with 4-inch barrel that shoots 38 Special. These are soft shooting, accurate, handguns that most any beginner would be comfortable with. You can find used ones for about $400 at local gun stores or occasionally www.southernohiogun.com . Look for DA/SA models and not DA only with the bobbed hammer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I'd recommend double action for a first firearm. Better practice for trigger use and you can still go single action if that's your preference.

The single actions seem to be a lot less expensive though.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I'd like a 22 revolver to go with my Winchester 22 rifle.

That being said. I always tell people who ask about a first gun, 38/9mm.
    A pistol is best because it's easy to grab in crisis. You want a minimum effective defense round. 22's are great for learning, but are not a substitute for a large caliber round. Recoil has to experienced to become comfortable with pulling

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    1st gun, 22 rifle, ruger or marlin semi, henry lever, or any bolt gun

2 out of 3 isn't bad IMO, the standard basic Henry is pretty cheaply made in comparison to the others. The flimsy plastic feed follower was junk on mine as well as the PAINTED receiver! I own the other two and some, can't say anything bad about them.
    The D series (1947) I think M-39A has cosmetic issues BUT it shoots as well as any other .22 I own. (I put the Williams sight on compliments of Ebay and 40 or 50 bucks). It's my go to rabbit in the yard gun! It has the heavy Ballard rifling.
    Timothy Turlock LOVED geese, GodOfVice LOVES wabbit!

Attachments

• IMG_5802.JPG
      IMG_5802.JPG
      57.1 KB · Views: 151
    • IMG_5803.JPG
      IMG_5803.JPG
      60.8 KB · Views: 149
    • IMG_5804.JPG
      IMG_5804.JPG
      42 KB · Views: 150

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    Hey
    Nuttin' wrong with going straight to an MP5 to get the party started.

Really, don't be shy.

Paiste19

Don't Shave
    Jan 14, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have a Ruger Single TEN that I would highly recommend. Came with great Williams fiber optic sights and has no recoil. It's probably my favorite and most accurate pistol to shoot (that I own). Seemed the easiest and safest for me to start with, but it was in the $500 ball park which may not fall into that entry level price range for all. I didn't care for the engraved cylinder much on the bearcat either.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    OP, to answer your question it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what your budget is. Home defense? Learning shooting fundamentals? Concealed carry? Pest control? Affordable plinking?

Give us a bit more background and we can probably help you out a bit more.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    In .22? For carry? You would?

Did I write carry? Did the OP write defense or carry? One track mind..

I'd recommend double action for a first firearm. Better practice for trigger use and you can still go single action if that's your preference.

The single actions seem to be a lot less expensive though.

Why I posted the LCR Ruger, as I thought that may be what he was looking at. The GP100, by all means if $ is not an issue. Can go single or double there.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    I'd advise a Ruger Mark II (I'd prefer a 22/45 personally) or maybe take a look at the new Mark IV (never shot one, but it looks at least as good as the Mark III, with no reassembly hassles)

I think that small .22 revolvers have a terrible DA trigger pull, so wouldn't go with the SP-101 as a first gun. The Single Six is a favorite, and that flat gate sounds tempting, but if I lived somewhere where I had to drive to the range I would want to spend range time shooting, not loading. The GP 100 looks nice, but you could probably get two Mark IIIs for the same price. Beoarcat is an awesome kid's gun, but not good for even medium sized hands (IMO).

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    If you want a .22 pistol I'd also go with the ruger MK series.

Or a 10/22 rifle if you want a rifle.

There is no bad first gun. But there may be better first guns.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Between paying off pre election purchases, Christmas, and desperately needing tires...I'm not going to have any gun money for quite a while :sad20:

If you don't mind my asking, why are you trying to get rid of it?

You and I are in literally the exact same boat, but I'm gonna make one final purchase on the credit card just to hold me off. Just one more gun......:rolleyes: ?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You and I are in literally the exact same boat, but I'm gonna make one final purchase on the credit card just to hold me off. Just one more gun......:rolleyes: ?

I suspect this boat is more crowded than we think ;) I did my one "final" purchase just before Christmas, so I could pick it up 12/31. That way, whatever disaster may or may not accompany the online paperwork, I can just sit back and :popcorn:...'cuz I couldn't afford to join in if I wanted to!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    OP, to answer your question it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what your budget is. Home defense? Learning shooting fundamentals? Concealed carry? Pest control? Affordable plinking?

Give us a bit more background and we can probably help you out a bit more.

^^^This^^^:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom