• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    So last year I got the idea I needed/wanted a Glock SBR. Figuring on the long lead time for a Form 1, I purchased a G17 and sent off the paperwork. Stated length, like the other centerfire SBRs I filed at the same time was 29", thanks to some of the very informative threads I read here on MDShooters.com.

One question I've had is if it is necessary in MDSP's eyes for a pistol/rifle/SBR to be a visual clone of some other evil weapon that actually exists for it to be a "copycat". There is no Glock rifle. There is the Glock 18, but every G17 looks remarkably like the G18 minus that one little lever on the slide. Also, it never came from the factory with a stock. So do I even need to worry about the 29" rule?

Anyway, paperwork cleared in October and I started collecting parts. I started with the ENDO Tactical stock adapter. All polymer, so not likely to damage the host frame, and surprisingly sturdy. We're it not for the 29" thing, I'd just throw any old M4 receiver extension, lock ring, castle nut, and stock on there and call it a day. That only gets me to maybe 25 inches or so.

I'd originally thought about doing a Glock 34 SBR, but like the MDSP 29" copycat question, I was concerned about the 922r requirement for a pistol made into a rifle. Again, there is no Glock rifle, so that question remains unresolved, but I wanted to avoid any future imperial entanglements and went with a G17 USA. Bought a Glock 34 upper to give me a little more length for my fingers under the barrel when held with a VFG. Adds ~0.55" or so to OAL. Could go another half inch with a threaded barrel, but that leads to other potential problems with MD regs.

So I dug through my parts bin and came up with an M4 carbine reciever extension and a Vltor A1 fixed stock. That stock, if you're familiar, can be installed on an M16 rifle or carbine extension. In the latter case, it locks in place with an adjustable, if not rapidly, locking pin that cams in place into the reciever extension hole of your choice.

So now I'd created a two-and-a-half-foot long Glock. Or rather Maryland made me do it. Easiest remedy seemed to be to fold it in half. Picked up one of the UTG or other offshore folding adapters that attaches a receiver extension to a reciever block, but has no provision for a buffer & spring. (Not needed; my stock is only filled with ridiculousness.). That made the whole thing longer, but now it folds. And I shortened the Vltor A1clubfoot's position on the extension.

29" and change:

Next up is to figure out how I'm going to suppress this monstrosity. I've got an AAC TiRant 45M in jail at Baltimore's Best Pawn. Usually folding stock plus flash hider/suppressor = copycat. Anyone know if that applies if I'm not copying any other weapon, banned or unbanned? If I'm bound by the copycat thing, then I'll remove the folding adapter and move the stock back out a few positions. Also I'd consider an A5 or AR10 extension and one of the longer Magpul stocks with a screwed-on extended buy pad since that would be easier to collapse to a more compact size.

Any thoughts on the best way to get a compliant Glock SBR? Anyone else working on one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 2,348

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    what about something like this?
    http://mechtechsys.com/glock-carbine-conversion/

then just get the barrel chopped and threaded. Using an adjustable stock instead of folding will allow you to use a suppressor and gain more length if necessary. Briefly reading the description, you can run your own buffer tube and stock combo, incase the carbine's regular config doesnt get you to 29" OAL.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    One question I've had is if it is necessary in MDSP's eyes for a pistol/rifle/SBR to be a visual clone of some other evil weapon that actually exists for it to be a "copycat". There is no Glock rifle. There is the Glock 18, but every G17 looks remarkably like the G18 minus that one little lever on the slide. Also, it never came from the factory with a stock. So do I even need to worry about the 29" rule?

Yes, you need to worry about the 29" rule.

The name "copycat" is an unfortunate word, because it is a different part of the law than the part of the law that deals with "assault weapons" that are "copies" of other weapons. The "copycat" test is a test that basically says "even if a rifle is not a copy of a banned rifle, it is banned as a copycat if it fails this test."

The test is:
    A rifle is a "copycat assault weapon" (and therefore banned) if it is a centerfire, semi-automatic rifle which is capable of accepting detachable magazines and:

Has an OAL of less than 29" OR
    Has more than one of:
    1) a flash suppressor
    2) a folding stock
    3) a grenade launcher (not a lug, an actual grenade launcher)

So in your case: your Glock SBR is a centerfire, semi-automatic rifle that is capable of accepting detachable magazines. Thus it must pass the copycat test. So.... it has to have an OAL of at least 29". It also can not have more than one of the "features" or it is illegal.

Could go another half inch with a threaded barrel, but that leads to other potential problems with MD regs.

It does not lead to any potential problems. There is nothing anywhere in Maryland law about threaded barrels at all.

Next up is to figure out how I'm going to suppress this monstrosity. I've got an AAC TiRant 45M in jail at Baltimore's Best Pawn. Usually folding stock plus flash hider/suppressor = copycat. Anyone know if that applies if I'm not copying any other weapon, banned or unbanned?

It absolutely applies, because like I said above, oddly the "copycat" part of the law has nothing to do with being a copy of anything. You can not have a folding stock and a "flash suppressor" on the same rifle at the same time. A sound suppressor counts as a flash suppressor, unfortunately, so yeah, you'd have to either remove or pin the folding stock adapter so it can't fold.

Also I'd consider an A5 or AR10 extension and one of the longer Magpul stocks with a screwed-on extended buy pad since that would be easier to collapse to a more compact size.

One thing you may want to look at is one of the 7 position VLTOR A5 buffer tubes. They're a little longer than standard ones. When I built my 8.5" barrel .300BLK SBR, the longest tube / stock combination I could find was the 7 position A5 tube and a Magpul ACS-L stock with the 3/4" extended buttpad.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Also: don't forget that when measuring OAL, it is done with the stock all the way extended, so if you've got more clicks of extension left on that VLTOR stock, you can use them for measuring purposes.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    what about something like this?
    http://mechtechsys.com/glock-carbine-conversion/

then just get the barrel chopped and threaded. Using an adjustable stock instead of folding will allow you to use a suppressor and gain more length if necessary. Briefly reading the description, you can run your own buffer tube and stock combo, incase the carbine's regular config doesnt get you to 29" OAL.
    That's an idea. :thumbsup:

Mech Tech says their wire retractable stock unit has an OAL Min. 25 7/16 in; Max. 33 15/16 in. So, I'd be able to chop off 4 15/16" of barrel and stay at 29" OAL extended. It would be 24.5" retracted, with slightly longer than an 11" barrel if my math is right.

Lemme think on that one...

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    For less than that Glock you could have the Sub2000 folding, threaded barrel Kel-tec 9mm that uses Glock Mags.

Folded, Kel-Tec is 16.5 inches and fits in a backpack, but deploys in seconds.

Why reinvent the wheel ?

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Yes, you need to worry about the 29" rule.
    Yeah, I suspected as much. :sad20:

The test is:
    A rifle is a "copycat assault weapon" (and therefore banned) if it is a centerfire, semi-automatic rifle which is capable of accepting detachable magazines and:

Has an OAL of less than 29" OR
    Has more than one of:
    1) a flash suppressor
    2) a folding stock
    3) a grenade launcher (not a lug, an actual grenade launcher)
    Thankfully I'd been planning on a Mako/FAB folding foregrip or an X300UA on the rail instead of a GL! Or possibly one of the magazine baseplate rail attachments that make it into a forward grip.

So in your case: your Glock SBR is a centerfire, semi-automatic rifle that is capable of accepting detachable magazines. Thus it must pass the copycat test. So.... it has to have an OAL of at least 29". It also can not have more than one of the "features" or it is illegal.
    Figured that'd be the case. Hence putting 29" on the Form 1.

It does not lead to any potential problems. There is nothing anywhere in Maryland law about threaded barrels at all.
    Good to know. That extra 0.4" or so from the G34 threaded barrel might be enough to get me by with a shorter stock.

It absolutely applies, because like I said above, oddly the "copycat" part of the law has nothing to do with being a copy of anything. You can not have a folding stock and a "flash suppressor" on the same rifle at the same time. A sound suppressor counts as a flash suppressor, unfortunately, so yeah, you'd have to either remove or pin the folding stock adapter so it can't fold.
    Gotcha. So maybe I'll use the folding adapter with a shorter stock until the can arrives, then swap it out.

One thing you may want to look at is one of the 7 position VLTOR A5 buffer tubes. They're a little longer than standard ones. When I built my 8.5" barrel .300BLK SBR, the longest tube / stock combination I could find was the 7 position A5 tube and a Magpul ACS-L stock with the 3/4" extended buttpad.
    Next time I can sit down and mess with configurations I'm going to measure and see if that extra length from the A5 will give me the length I need. Would prefer to use a conventional sliding stock instead of the Vltor A1-length semi-fixed stock.

Great info, Hawkeye, thanks! :thumbsup:

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    For less than that Glock you could have the Sub2000 folding, threaded barrel Kel-tec 9mm that uses Glock Mags.

Folded, Kel-Tec is 16.5 inches and fits in a backpack, but deploys in seconds.

Why reinvent the wheel ?
    Good point.
    because I can. :mdpatriot
    ;)
    This was a project for my entertainment more so than filling a particular role. Also, the slide from the G17 is going on a Polymer80 frame when I get around to milling that out.

I am still considering a KelTec Sub2K, given my stock of Glock magazines. Given it's folding mechanism, it doesn't SBR well, and I do want a shorter barrel to keep ammo subsonic for use with the can.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Does 29" apply to an SBR with no stock?

Another question that perhaps Hawkeye or someone else will know.

Does the 29" rule in Maryland apply to an SBR if there is no stock?

For example, federally, a pistol with a second vertical grip would usually be an AOW, unless it was first an SBR. An SBR with the stock removed and a second vertical grip is still an SBR, federally, AFAIK. What's MD say about that?

Attachments

• 3c440645aa8c81068750ce5579619cbe.jpg
      3c440645aa8c81068750ce5579619cbe.jpg
      64.5 KB · Views: 1,509
    • GMFG_full.jpg
      GMFG_full.jpg
      10.9 KB · Views: 1,194
    • MP6FPYD.jpg
      MP6FPYD.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 1,384

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Before I say any of this, IANAL and I am not providing legal advice - if you do any of this and ATF shoots your dog it's not because of me. ;)

For example, federally, a pistol with a second vertical grip would usually be an AOW, unless it was first an SBR. An SBR with the stock removed and a second vertical grip is still an SBR, federally, AFAIK. What's MD say about that?

The only applicable guidance from ATF that I can think of on this is that they have stated that if you have an SBR and temporarily remove the short barrel and replace it with a long barrel, it is no longer an SBR and is a Title I rifle. That's because being an SBR is defined by having certain physical characteristics (a rifled barrel shorter than 16" and being designed to be fired from the shoulder, i.e. having a stock). If you take an SBR and put a long barrel on it, it's no longer an SBR (assuming you don't also have a short upper with you, because constructive possession...) because it doesn't meet that definition.

I would bet money that ATF would say that in the case of your Glock, if you take the stock off you have "remanufactured" it in a way so as not to be designed to be fired from the shoulder. Thus you have rendered it no longer a rifle. Without the foregrip it would be a normal Title I pistol. With the foregrip it would become a Title II (NFA) AOW. That's because without the stock it's no longer a "rifle".

So basically I wouldn't do that, because I bet that ATF would shoot your dog and tell you you have an unregistered AOW and you can go to FPMITAP.

But again, IANAL. ;)

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Gotcha. :lol:

only applicable guidance from ATF that I can think of on this is that they have stated that if you have an SBR and temporarily remove the short barrel and replace it with a long barrel, it is no longer an SBR and is a Title I rifle. That's because being an SBR is defined by having certain physical characteristics (a rifled barrel shorter than 16" and being designed to be fired from the shoulder, i.e. having a stock).
    Yep, I've seen that guidance too. But in this case it's become an SBR, not a Title 1 rifle. The Thompson/Center case said pistol-rifle-pistol is OK, but that's different. I was thinking this is more like an MP5K SBR with the stock removed and end cap installed, can still have the K grip. Or an Uzi carbine SBR'd, can have the detachable wood stock. Right? :shrug:

MD law however, might be another story... :rolleye12

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    So last year I got the idea I needed/wanted a Glock SBR. Figuring on the long lead time for a Form 1, I purchased a G17 and sent off the paperwork. Stated length, like the other centerfire SBRs I filed at the same time was 29", thanks to some of the very informative threads I read here on MDShooters.com.

Anyway, paperwork cleared in October and I started collecting parts. I started with the ENDO Tactical stock adapter. All polymer, so not likely to damage the host frame, and surprisingly sturdy. We're it not for the 29" thing, I'd just throw any old M4 receiver extension, lock ring, castle nut, and stock on there and call it a day. That only gets me to maybe 25 inches or so.

I'd originally thought about doing a Glock 34 SBR, but like the MDSP 29" copycat question, I was concerned about the 922r requirement for a pistol made into a rifle. Again, there is no Glock rifle, so that question remains unresolved, but I wanted to avoid any future imperial entanglements and went with a G17 USA. Bought a Glock 34 upper to give me a little more length for my fingers under the barrel when held with a VFG. Adds ~0.55" or so to OAL. Could go another half inch with a threaded barrel, but that leads to other potential problems with MD regs.

So I dug through my parts bin and came up with an M4 carbine reciever extension and a Vltor A1 fixed stock. That stock, if you're familiar, can be installed on an M16 rifle or carbine extension. In the latter case, it locks in place with an adjustable, if not rapidly, locking pin that cams in place into the reciever extension hole of your choice.

So now I'd created a two-and-a-half-foot long Glock. Or rather Maryland made me do it. Easiest remedy seemed to be to fold it in half. Picked up one of the UTG or other offshore folding adapters that attaches a receiver extension to a reciever block, but has no provision for a buffer & spring. (Not needed; my stock is only filled with ridiculousness.). That made the whole thing longer, but now it folds. And I shortened the Vltor A1clubfoot's position on the extension.

29" and change:

Next up is to figure out how I'm going to suppress this monstrosity. I've got an AAC TiRant 45M in jail at Baltimore's Best Pawn. Usually folding stock plus flash hider/suppressor = copycat. Anyone know if that applies if I'm not copying any other weapon, banned or unbanned? If I'm bound by the copycat thing, then I'll remove the folding adapter and move the stock back out a few positions. Also I'd consider an A5 or AR10 extension and one of the longer Magpul stocks with a screwed-on extended buy pad since that would be easier to collapse to a more compact size.

Any thoughts on the best way to get a compliant Glock SBR? Anyone else working on one?

An earlier model of the T1000 Terminator had one of these attachments.
    SBR's Rule !!!

Have you seen that contraption that your pistol embeds into to become an SBR carbine? But yours just looks way more wicked.

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    Another question that perhaps Hawkeye or someone else will know.

Glock on top left with a suppressor at the end looks like fun!

No Actually, Way Too Much Funnn.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    An earlier model of the T1000 Terminator had one of these attachments.
    Haha, yep. That, or the leg in Grindhouse.
    SBR's Rule !!!
    Definitely. I want to SBR all the things.
    Have you seen that contraption that your pistol embeds into to become an SBR carbine? But yours just looks way more wicked.
    Yes, there's a few. The CAA Roni and others. That one, unfortunately, is only 22" long, so same length issue. :mad54:

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Swapped a Silencerco G34 threaded barrel which gained me a little length. Just barely enough to pull the stock out to the outermost position, and be able to remove the folding adapter. 29" with maybe 1/8" to spare. I might get an A5 receiver extension so I can have a little more thread engagement with the adapter, but it seems fairly solid as is:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 491

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads