• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoFro

Aug 24, 2010
    Queen Anne's County
    Now that the state form (77R) is online, are dealers doing anything different with the 4473?

I had a dealer inform me that the 4473 is populated on the MDSP side from info on the 77R. I don't believe that, but it's obviously something that needs to be cleared up or else people are going to have compliance problems.

Yes, 4473 will still need to be done. The MSP run the NICS check with information from the 77r, but the 4473 still needs to be done at the dealer at the time of the application. That's one of the reasons you still need to make 2 trips to the dealer to buy a handgun.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    I still filled out the 4473 at my dealer, they still need it by federal law. The MSP just does the NICS check and passes the NICS number along to the dealer to fill in that section of the 4473 for their records.

My dealer requires a visit to complete the 4473, so 2 visits are still required.

Understood guys, but not everyone got that memo apparently. This dealer made it sound like MDSP would generate the 4473 and send it back to them based on the 77R input.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Oh... and yes, everything at the Barrack was done on their computer but buyer and seller had absolutely no hands-on with their computers... as expected. The Trooper could change any information that was either not correct or had changed since the date/time I filled out the on-line form and went to get it processed.

All I provided to the Trooper was Application Number, PIN (as emailed to me after I filled out the form), my Driver's License and HQL, and the Seller's Driver's License and HQL.

There was actually NO paperwork printed out by me or the Trooper. I still have access to the form and all the info (except masked Seller info) via the MDSP Licensing Portal.

Does the barracks still have 4473's?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Understood guys, but not everyone got that memo apparently. This dealer made it sound like MDSP would generate the 4473 and send it back to them based on the 77R input.

I get to find out in the morning how the end process works, I figure it will go off without a hitch, I've already got the NICS number from the portal.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I received this email this morning. And the status online has changed to "Initial Review Not Disapproved."

"Dear Gregory Harle,

Congratulations. Your application, 2017000015, to purchase a regulated firearm from Baltimore's Best Pawn has been Not Disapproved by the Maryland State Police. You may return to the selected firearm dealer to arrange pickup/transfer of your item during the dealer's regular business hours.

When you return to your selected firearm dealer to pick up your item, you will need the application PIN in order to complete the weapon transfer. The PIN for application 2017000015 is: XXXX.

If you have already taken possession of the firearm in question, or you believe you are receiving this email in error, please notify the Maryland State Police Licensing Division immediately at: 401-653-4500."

Thank you,
    The Maryland State Police,
    Licensing Division
    401-653-4500

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 6.29.03 AM.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I still filled out the 4473 at my dealer, they still need it by federal law. The MSP just does the NICS check and passes the NICS number along to the dealer to fill in that section of the 4473 for their records.

Same here.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I wonder how many are for actual purchases compared to people filling out an application to try out the new system.

I am sure there are a lot of pending apps with not purchase in sight.

But still, a pretty healthy number, especially right after Xmas. :)

Since it takes so long to do one, I don't really see a reason to have one waiting in the system.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    "If you have already taken possession of the firearm in question... please notify the Maryland State Police Licensing Division immediately..."

Lolwut?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Now that the state form (77R) is online, are dealers doing anything different with the 4473?

I had a dealer inform me that the 4473 is populated on the MDSP side from info on the 77R. I don't believe that, but it's obviously something that needs to be cleared up or else people are going to have compliance problems.

Your dealer is very, very confused then. The 77R (a Maryland state form) and the 4473 (a Federal form) have nothing to do with each other and are not connected in any way.

MSP could give a crap less about the 4473 and are certainly not going to be magically generating them for people or something. This entire online process is ONLY to replace the 77R. You still need to do a 4473, same as always. Some dealers now do this electronically, and I suppose some probably still do it on paper but whatever process they use it won't be changed by the new e-77R.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I received this email this morning. And the status online has changed to "Initial Review Not Disapproved."

"Dear Gregory Harle,

Congratulations. Your application, 2017000015, to purchase a regulated firearm from Baltimore's Best Pawn has been Not Disapproved by the Maryland State Police. You may return to the selected firearm dealer to arrange pickup/transfer of your item during the dealer's regular business hours.

When you return to your selected firearm dealer to pick up your item, you will need the application PIN in order to complete the weapon transfer. The PIN for application 2017000015 is: XXXX.

If you have already taken possession of the firearm in question, or you believe you are receiving this email in error, please notify the Maryland State Police Licensing Division immediately at: 401-653-4500."

Thank you,
    The Maryland State Police,
    Licensing Division
    401-653-4500

View attachment 195101

Yep got me that same thing this morning also. :party29:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    what does Initial review-not disapproved mean? Is there another review?

I have a feeling it has always been like this, sorta like the HQL process and now a secondary review is showing up with the HQL as well. NICS is the initial but MD does further checks with others who are either not on board with NICS or maybe the information is delayed.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    So it was pretty easy at the dealer. They just entered a few pieces of info and I was on my way. The Date form received final just gets todays date. And it still says initial not disapproved. Now it is still listed on my applications list with no expiration date and just the print application button. I have to say that I was expecting things to not go so smooth.

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 12.28.33 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom