• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scattervision

Bang Bang Bangity Bang
    May 12, 2016
    I assume the poster means that if you type up your personal info on the 77R portal, then next time your given a chance to review/update your 77R info without having to re-type all the stuff.

I'm not sure if that's how it works or not, but I get sick of filling out all that paperwork.
    That's how it works.

scattervision

Bang Bang Bangity Bang
    May 12, 2016
    Ok so I need to ask since maybe you can do this with a secondary sale paperwork but how are you looking at the online application once it is submitted to MSP for review? I've got one under review from a dealer sale and the only thing I can see is the main application page with the app#, date submitted, and expiration date.
    On the right side of the dashboard there should be a couple buttons that say something like [resend confirmation email] and [print application]. If you [print application] it creates a PDF of the application for you to view or save to your computer or print on paper.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Awesome.
    What does the customer get back when they pick up?

I know from the training MSP gave that we can print out copies of the Form 77 (electronic) for the customer at time of pick-up, essentially the pink copies you have always gotten.

Since I have not released a gun using the system yet, that is all I know.

MSP didn't let dealers get in early to play with the system (at least not us) so I don't know exactly what the finalized paperwork looks like yet.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    On the right side of the dashboard there should be a couple buttons that say something like [resend confirmation email] and [print application]. If you [print application] it creates a PDF of the application for you to view or save to your computer or print on paper.

Ok, I usually don't like pushing buttons.:o but glad I did, main page showing still under review and on the application it's showing "initial review not disapproved"
    Parole date is 1/10.:party29:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've used the term 'mask' twice, e.g., "the system masks the information," a couple times, and maybe I need to define the term. In a secondary sale, the buyer and seller have to make at least some contact. As a buyer, I would want to have a name from my seller, like, Bob. My seller's name is Bob. I can reach Bob at this phone number... or at this email address. This is how I can communicate with Bob about the details of the sale. So now I have Bob's first name and a way to contact Bob. Seems pretty innocent so far. As the buyer, I then start my online form. I fill in MY information as buyer, and for the seller's information, I put in Bob, phone number, or email address. Off we go. I contact Bob and we plan to meet at Annapolis Barrack. I meet Bob and both of us give our DL's to the duty officer for the DO to verify MY identity and to complete the entry of Bob's information. I NEVER SEE IT. I pay my $10 fee with my CC and shake hands with Bob and go on about my day. I go home and login to my Portal dashboard and take a look at the secondary sale application I have in progress with Bob. I can see all MY demographic information, but Bob's IS MASKED. By that, I mean it's covered with *** or is otherwise NOT VISIBLE TO ME. I do NOT have a permanent record of all of Bob's information. I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO IT in the online system.

I've told you and others more than a few times, this scenario is POSSIBLE because an unfamiliar seller COULD be asked to supply his personal information to an dishonest person that posing as a buyer of the firearm. Sure, in a perfect world, no one gets hurt. BUT we know that isn't the case. The fact that seller's Personal Information is on the form at all is wrong. Much less that fact that a trusting seller COULD give out their Personal Information to an dishonest person and be hurt by that.

Sure, if want to keep on bringing up a PERFECT scenario than sure, no one gets hurt. But we know this isn't a perfect world and people do get hurt. Many times from their own stupidity, but the fact is they do get hurt.

The facts remain. If a dishonest person requests the Personal Information from a trusting seller. That seller can have his Personal Information used by that dishonest person.

You go right ahead and keep spouting off that it can't happen. But by the very nature of that information being on the form, it can happen.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I've told you and others more than a few times, this scenario is POSSIBLE because an unfamiliar seller COULD be asked to supply his personal information to an dishonest person that posing as a buyer of the firearm. Sure, in a perfect world, no one gets hurt. BUT we know that isn't the case. The fact that seller's Personal Information is on the form at all is wrong. Much less that fact that a trusting seller COULD give out their Personal Information to an dishonest person and be hurt by that.

Sure, if want to keep on bringing up a PERFECT scenario than sure, no one gets hurt. But we know this isn't a perfect world and people do get hurt. Many times from their own stupidity, but the fact is they do get hurt.

The facts remain. If a dishonest person requests the Personal Information from a trusting seller. That seller can have his Personal Information used by that dishonest person.

You go right ahead and keep spouting off that it can't happen. But by the very nature of that information being on the form, it can happen.

If you were selling a gun to a private party prior to Jan 1 2017 would they not have your name and phone number or email address before you met them at the MSP Barracks to fill out the forms in order to set up the meeting?

I am not sure what all of this personal information is that you are so worried about. All that needs to be entered prior to meeting at the barracks is sellers name, phone number, gender, and email address.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you were selling a gun to a private party prior to Jan 1 2017 would they not have your name and phone number or email address before you met them at the MSP Barracks to fill out the forms in order to set up the meeting?

I am not sure what all of this personal information is that you are so worried about. All that needs to be entered prior to meeting at the barracks is sellers name, phone number, gender, and email address.

Driver's License number and Social Security number.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND MY POSITION, it's not what does happen, it's what COULD happen. Some TRUSTING SELLER COULD give his driver's license number and social security number to someone saying that want to buy his handgun, when in fact, this BUYER is nothing more than a crook looking to steal your information.

Stop thinking as if everyone knows what to do with these forms. They don't. Working in the gun shop years ago and at shows, I can't tell you how many people have screwed up a simple form. Don't say it can't happen. It happens every day.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Driver's License number and Social Security number.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND MY POSITION, it's not what does happen, it's what COULD happen. Some TRUSTING SELLER COULD give his driver's license number and social security number to someone saying that want to buy his handgun, when in fact, this BUYER is nothing more than a crook looking to steal your information.

Stop thinking as if everyone knows what to do with these forms. They don't. Working in the gun shop years ago and at shows, I can't tell you how many people have screwed up a simple form. Don't say it can't happen. It happens every day.

Where are you getting that you need to provide DL and SSN? Those are not required to give anyone prior to meeting at the MSP barracks. If you give someone personal info because you are uninformed than that is on you for not educating yourself. Everyone that is going to use this system should read and understand how to use it. MSP provided documentation that clearly shows how to use the system and what the procedures are.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.07.12 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.07.12 PM.jpg
      59.5 KB · Views: 385

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Me too. Protecting your PII is your responsibility I don't give Best But my CC or address info in advance of a purchase either. IF you don't know how to protect your PII, then perhaps you are not smart enough to own a firearm either.

But continuing to argue about what could happen seems like an exercise in futility.

so I'll bow out now.as well

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I know from the training MSP gave that we can print out copies of the Form 77 (electronic) for the customer at time of pick-up, essentially the pink copies you have always gotten.

MSP didn't let dealers get in early to play with the system (at least not us) so I don't know exactly what the finalized paperwork looks like yet.

Thanks, let us know when you do. I guess it will Monday.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    no you can continue to ask questions from those of us who did.

:sad20:

I'm sure the guy taking my money has the answers :D
    Was at Atlantic today and they have a computer setup. I heard they were the reason the DC letter was dropped as required. Saw some buyers going through the hoops.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC

Having read the dealer's guide a couple of times, I do not see any directions regarding printing out forms. All it says is that the final transfer work is done via the portal, and once the firearm transfer is complete, everything goes into archived status. No further instructions are given. If I were to speculate, I would speculate that the parties involved would receive confirmation emails, and that their paperwork would be available in archived form should they wish to print any copies.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    O/T but in terms of kicking and screaming in to the 21st century. You want a permit for a fence in MoCo, has to be sent digitally. Much of commercial required too. DC and Arlington require digital applications for residential, no schlepping in paper plans.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I was a bit leery about doing a credit card transaction on a computer other than my own. It would be nice if we could give the dealer $10 in cash and they could make one lump sum transaction at the end of the day. This dealer is also going digital with the 4473, I assume in a PDF format. An auto populate from the 77 (even the yes/no questions) would be awesome but I'm not sure if that could be done unless MSP was somehow in the loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom