• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    So you would seriously rely on the saftey staying off? That has disaster written all over it. If i bought a shield, i would practice disengaging the safety while drawing. The xds cost more but to me it's worth it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

You obviously haven't handled the Shield :innocent0

It is very stiff and you have to (as stated before) activate it with specific intent! It sits in on the frame and can not be accidentally activated!

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    You obviously haven't handled the Shield :innocent0

It is very stiff and you have to (as stated before) activate it with specific intent! It sits in on the frame and can not be accidentally activated!

If it moves how can it not be accidently activated?

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    :sad20:

Triggers move, I carry concealed and never had a negligent discharge. Hmm I guess the same principle applies.. Like triggers you have to purposely engage it!

A trigger has a guard and is the range of motion is much much more than that little safety button. But if your confident in not properly using a weapon. More power to ya.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    A trigger has a guard and is the range of motion is much much more than that little safety button. But if your confident in not properly using a weapon. More power to ya.

Not properly using a weapon (so confused I don't use the safety and I am not properly using it)? Sounds like your talking out of you ass now. You obviously don't own a shield and are making your comments based on speculation. You implied that the safety moves which means in your convoluted mind that it has to some how be accidentally activated (just because it can move). My response is clearly just because something moves doesn't mean it will move against ones wishes (period). I used a trigger for an example. I can use a gas pedal/brakes on a car that doesn't have a "guard" you have to press the pedal for the car accelerate. Cars just don't go flying down the street, just because the pedal moves! If that happens then there is a flaw in the design. Same way XD-S had a safety recall when the firearm functioned differently that it was originally designed. It you have a safety that just turns on and off just because it is capable of moving you need to send it back to the manufacture, simple and plain..............

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yes, I have shot a Shield, more than a few in 9mm.

Yes, the safety is "stout" - it's definitely not something you 'accidentally' engage when holstering/drawing.

Even with that said, my personal preference is no safeties. Does that mean I wouldn't buy or carry one? No. I'd just like to see a Shield w/out the safety, and in .45ACP. :D

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Out of all my pistols I still go back to my LC9. Next would be my XD-S in 45. Most days I just pick one. Both are great carry pistols.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Yes, I have shot a Shield, more than a few in 9mm.

Yes, the safety is "stout" - it's definitely not something you 'accidentally' engage when holstering/drawing.

Even with that said, my personal preference is no safeties. Does that mean I wouldn't buy or carry one? No. I'd just like to see a Shield w/out the safety, and in .45ACP. :D

IMO Big bullits and Ultra compact don't go together well. Just imagine a Great Dane and Chihuahua mating.........

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I think the Shield or the XDS would be a fine choice. Handle both and see what you like. I've handled (but not shot) both. I liked the XDS more. That fiber optic front sight means you are going to get on target quicker and the grip safety = one less thing to think about under stress.

I am not one of those people who hates on the grip safety as just added complexity/something to go wrong. If it works reliably, does not complicate the manual of arms and provides an additional level of protection against an AD, I'm just fine with it.

If you are really that worried about failure - get a revolver. A semi-auto has many more potential failure points - not cycling because the powder charge is inadequate, accidentally limp-wristing, finger against the slide, etc. There are lots of ways a semi-auto can fail or you can screw it up under stress. All of those things are a lot more likely to happen than the grip safety suddenly failing to disengage.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Not properly using a weapon (so confused I don't use the safety and I am not properly using it)? Sounds like your talking out of you ass now. You obviously don't own a shield and are making your comments based on speculation. You implied that the safety moves which means in your convoluted mind that it has to some how be accidentally activated (just because it can move). My response is clearly just because something moves doesn't mean it will move against ones wishes (period). I used a trigger for an example. I can use a gas pedal/brakes on a car that doesn't have a "guard" you have to press the pedal for the car accelerate. Cars just don't go flying down the street, just because the pedal moves! If that happens then there is a flaw in the design. Same way XD-S had a safety recall when the firearm functioned differently that it was originally designed. It you have a safety that just turns on and off just because it is capable of moving you need to send it back to the manufacture, simple and plain..............

The guy was trying to remind you of Murphy's law, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

I am sure the safety is difficult to engage and will likely never engage accidentally for you and your 1000 closest friends. Then again you may be dead tomorrow because it accidentally engaged.

Here is a story of an accidental discharge because of a drawstring.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/03/daniel-zimmerman/holstering/

Here is a story of how common it is to mixup the gas and the brake on a car.
    http://www.everythingzoomer.com/accelerator-brake-pedal-mistakes/#.UykoWPldUpc

Stupid stuff happens, be prepared to deal with it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    IMO Big bullits and Ultra compact don't go together well. Just imagine a Great Dane and Chihuahua mating.........

Interesting mental image... :lol2:

My 4" M&P does a great job soaking up the recoil, so I'd like to think if S&W wanted a share of the XDs market, they could do a pretty good job with a small .45.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd actually like to see a Shield with just a little bit more girth to it, not too much, but enough to accept the larger caliber. They feel great, just too thin - again, that's just my take on it. :)

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    The guy was trying to remind you of Murphy's law, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

I am sure the safety is difficult to engage and will likely never engage accidentally for you and your 1000 closest friends. Then again you may be dead tomorrow because it accidentally engaged.

Here is a story of an accidental discharge because of a drawstring.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/03/daniel-zimmerman/holstering/

Here is a story of how common it is to mixup the gas and the brake on a car.
    http://www.everythingzoomer.com/accelerator-brake-pedal-mistakes/#.UykoWPldUpc

Stupid stuff happens, be prepared to deal with it.

Thanks for coming to his aid! I got where your coming from (but your scenarios are truly accidental, both are operator error and not this magical safety that is destine for failure without human interference that he was referring too).

he never said any of that, he was simply making an argument against safeties. There is always going to be WHAT IF. That is life, the WHAT IF will make you stay home and never leave your house, oh WHAT IF your house catches fire. WHAT IF you get disarmed and killed with your own gun? I can't live my life like that. I have not read any data complaints etc that the Shield's safety can or will accidentally engage so it is not really a worry to me. WHAT IF the grip safety fails and the gun doesn't function when needed? That is just the risk that XD-S owners have to take, so is life. I am tired of speculation and what ifs, show me some facts

Dude, you should get some help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    I'll say again that the Bersa BP9cc is what you want. 8 rounds, less than an inch thick, a little smaller than a PPK.

Do a review search.

I concur. Not having much experience with or knowledge of Bersa, I purchased a Thunder CC .380 and have thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I am now seriously (with money in hand) shopping to get the BP9CC.

I had the Shield and the Kahr on my "narrow down and compare" list but for me the Bersa has won and I can't wait to add it to my family.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    CM9 or PM9. I carry a CW45, and wish I'd have known the CM45 was coming out. The CW45 is still big enough that you have to "plan" to carry (dress appropriately); the CM line is small enough to fit in your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom