Well since I can't buy an AR15 anymore...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Congrats, nice buy. :thumbsup:

I'm working on getting there so this is great motivation.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Please tell me you vetted this transfer to not be another scam. I know we've already discussed this, but those f*ckers are everywhere!

Anyway, for a non-beltfed upper, it's hard to beat an Adams Arms piston. I have a 7.5" upper from them and it stabilizes a 62gr bullet pretty well out to 100yrds. Not bad for a rifle that's the size of my arm with a silencer on it.

Yeah I think I did my homework. Copy of Form 3 with picture of gun with same serial. Copy of FFL confirmed by ATF website listing. Copy of SOT. So if FFL are running scams... then we are really in trouble. As you can see in my other threads... I have had a lot of trouble with scammers...

Sounds like an interesting upper... have a picture? I have a 10.5" coming with it.

Nice looking gun. Hopefully not too crazy expensive. Glad I got my Colt RR when I did as it has been a good investment, as has any Class III basically. Question for those using 9mm uppers on their FA guns. Anyone have egging problems? I have a 7.5" 9mm upper with a ramped bolt but have been reluctant to use it after reading a lot about receivers getting egged out by blow back uppers. Sorry for the minor hijack.

Oh it was crazy priced... but going rate. I have not heard of 9mm Egging issues but thats because I know little to nothing about the 9mm conversions. I would like to know more. Sounds like an odd problem to have. With Colt making a 9mm SMG version, I do wonder how this could be?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I have not heard of 9mm Egging issues but thats because I know little to nothing about the 9mm conversions. I would like to know more. Sounds like an odd problem to have. With Colt making a 9mm SMG version, I do wonder how this could be?

I plan to run mine with lots of different uppers, including my 2 integrally suppressed 9mm uppers. The ramped bolts are supposed to help with wear and tear. As are K&S anti-rotation pins. I didn't buy it to sit in the back of the safe. If it breaks, I'll get it fixed.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Aren't the anti-rotation pins specifically designed to prevent egging?

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Yeah I think I did my homework. Copy of Form 3 with picture of gun with same serial. Copy of FFL confirmed by ATF website listing. Copy of SOT. So if FFL are running scams... then we are really in trouble. As you can see in my other threads... I have had a lot of trouble with scammers...

Sounds like an interesting upper... have a picture? I have a 10.5" coming with it.

I'm on travel currently, but I'll see if my folks on my trust can take a picture. I'm getting consistent 3-4" groups at 100yrds and never had any problems with keyholing. Haven't tried it at 200yrds yet. I think part of it's success is that most of the barrel is of a BULL barrel diameter before the gas block and is free float. It makes it heavier obviously, but it balances out quite well even with a suppressor. I really enjoy it a lot. It's my go-to gun when running-gunning in the back yard. The piston is nice as it ejects the gasses forwards instead of rearwards, unlike other piston systems. Here's some links from around the web. The youtube video clearly shows the direction of the gases.

http://vtsupply.com/images/shortyadam2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4m45ghODq4

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I plan to run mine with lots of different uppers, including my 2 integrally suppressed 9mm uppers. The ramped bolts are supposed to help with wear and tear. As are K&S anti-rotation pins. I didn't buy it to sit in the back of the safe. If it breaks, I'll get it fixed.

I love that attitude! Me too. If it breaks it needed to get fixed anyway. I just wish we could use that XMG34 upper! Looks like I need to figure out what Anti-Rotational pins are...

I'm on travel currently, but I'll see if my folks on my trust can take a picture. I'm getting consistent 3-4" groups at 100yrds and never had any problems with keyholing. Haven't tried it at 200yrds yet. I think part of it's success is that most of the barrel is of a BULL barrel diameter before the gas block and is free float. It makes it heavier obviously, but it balances out quite well even with a suppressor. I really enjoy it a lot. It's my go-to gun when running-gunning in the back yard. The piston is nice as it ejects the gasses forwards instead of rearwards, unlike other piston systems. Here's some links from around the web. The youtube video clearly shows the direction of the gases.

No hurry on the pictures. I was more thinking a link to the website where they sell it.

Are piston upper louder or quieter than standard Gas systems?

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    No hurry on the pictures. I was more thinking a link to the website where they sell it.

Are piston upper louder or quieter than standard Gas systems?

No difference really when compared to a DI or piston gun. All squirt gas out of tiny holes, just at different places. The BIG difference, as you may already know, is barrel length. My 7.5" Adams Arms upper with a Noveske Flaming Pig compensator is SUPER load! I have to wear foam and ear muffs to be truly comfortable when firing. It's the closest you will come to a flame thrower, unless you make a 10" mosin nagant. Even with a beefy stainless steel suppressor that I use, it still make my hear drums tap. All that being said, it's sweet to shoot and never had one malfunction. I haven't even lubed the damn thing, and I'm usually slinging dirty wolf ammo. How is that possible?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 508

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Being with the military right now, all of the hammer/trigger pins are slightly larger then standard commercial pins and require a roll-pin punch to tap them out. That being said proper trigger/hammer pins should have a notch on either side to accept the hammer spring and keep the pins from walking. However, in the civilian world this seems to be less of the case, probably because Colt and FN (Air Force) oversize their hammer and trigger pins. Therefore, us civilian shmucks use these anti-walk braces to prevent pin walking, yet still keep similar tolerances to make is easier to switch out our triggers in the future. Just my observation over the last few years.

FWIW: I put KNS anti-walk pins on all my regular AR's. That being said, all of our issued 416's in AFG, I can tell have tight pins, that I'm sure if measured would be slightly thicker then the pins in a typical DPMS LPK. The 416's also have commercial buffer tubes, which I thought was odd.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Aren't the anti-rotation pins specifically designed to prevent egging?

They are and I bought a set to put in my gun. Before I got around to installing them I bought a Geiselle SSF trigger from Engage and had them instal it. The directions advise against using the KNS pins as they are too soft so that's my dilema. I think Clandestine advised against them at one time but am not sure.
    Having said all that, I have a FA mentor down in NC who is a Class III RSO and has been running matches for over 25 years and has several FA guns. He told me not to worry and go ahead and use the KNS pins as he uses them in all his FA AR types and has no problems. I trust him a lot but just read so much negative about the 9mm uppers I'm still leery. Would hate to bugger up an RR but you can get them fixed with inserts if need be. Machine gun Joe does them.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've already run about 200 rds of .223, 9mm, and .22LR through it in full auto since I picked it up Friday. It's nice to have lots of choices. :D

What brand of .22 upper are you using? I bought a Spikes a couple of years ago but they never got them to run right on FA and no longer even sell the anti bounce kits. I'd love to find one that works.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Nice! I remember buying my first handgun ( a Glock 17) at a small shop in Baltimore called Specialty Arms back in 1995. I was so impressed that they had a wall of NFA goodies. They had a Colt 20" A2 m16 for $3500. I thought it was a good deal, but my brother who was issued one in the Marines couldn't understand why it was so much when a Colt AR was under a grand. I wish so bad I had bought that instead of the Glock!

Congrats on your new toy.

That's a $25,000 gun now:facepalm: Hind sight is great isn't it. I remember not buying one at $1500 and RDIAS's at $500, try finding one now. Oh well if we only knew and pigs could fly etc.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    What brand of .22 upper are you using? I bought a Spikes a couple of years ago but they never got them to run right on FA and no longer even sell the anti bounce kits. I'd love to find one that works.

Just a stock Colt SP1 upper. I'm using a Ceiner .22 kit with the full auto trip hardware. I've only tried it in that upper. I'll try it in some others when I have time.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Just a stock Colt SP1 upper. I'm using a Ceiner .22 kit with the full auto trip hardware. I've only tried it in that upper. I'll try it in some others when I have time.

Good to know. Are they readily available?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    So what 9mm Kit is everyone running?

Is the Colt LMG upper worth looking into?

For just a common 14.5" upper... what should I go with? LWRC piston or...

I am also having a hard time deciding to try and go cheap with the MCR or spend the extra for the Shrike and get the up to date heat sink...etc.

MCR

Shrike

Having my Mac 22 LR gun, I think this is the only 22 upper I would consider:
    AM15 Upper

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom