• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Reminder of why I don't shoot 10mm

Why? It has nothing to do with 10mm, that can and does happen to any caliber.
    Did you read the description of what was a possible cause towards the end of the video? Possible undersized projectile being setback in the case causing an over pressure situation, and over pressure is bad in any caliber/firearm.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That's a bad situation regardless what firearm or caliber it was. I had a 45 acp that fired a squib load and I was ready to fire the next round when something inside me told me that the first shot didn't sound right. I unloaded the mag and low and behold the barrel was plugged.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It has to be a harrowing experience.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Where's the fired casing? I didn't see any pictures of it. I am assuming it blew out the feed ramp.

Assuming the brass wasn't flawed and the barrel fully supported, it would take a decent amount of pressure to blow out a case. I'd guess north of 50kpsi.

I wouldn't rule out a defective case (yes, I know they blamed it on bullet setback).

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Where's the fired casing? I didn't see any pictures of it. I am assuming it blew out the feed ramp.

Assuming the brass wasn't flawed and the barrel fully supported, it would take a decent amount of pressure to blow out a case. I'd guess north of 50kpsi.

I wouldn't rule out a defective case (yes, I know they blamed it on bullet setback).

I don't figure seeing the case will prove anything other than it blew up, but the defective case is definately a possibility. I took this still from his video and from the grime and the water, snow ect. ect. on the barrel I would have to assume it was from the G20 that blew up, it's definately an aftermarket barrel, being stainless. Looks as if the feed ramp is intact. But at least it seems the ammo maker took responsibility for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 167

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    A) Did it blow the case head completely off all the way around the case (crazy high pressures, but also possibly a bad case, or both)
    versus
    B) Did it blow only at the feed ramp (possibly just a crappy case, but possibly also coupled with excessive pressure)
    versus
    C) Did it blow at the feed ramp but there are other pressure sign around the non feed ramp side of the case. (To me, this would indicate a good case and excessive pressure but not as high as it could be)

Here's a 40 S&W that I blew out on a Glock 20 with a Lone Wolf barrel. This was a known inferior case (Old FC headstamp if I remember correctly). The gun was unharmed (partially due to there being no magazine in the gun).

20140125_182937-1.jpg

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Found this by the author down in the comments.

No permanent damage. Even the incontinence has stopped

I wish I could have found the case, but am extremely confident in the findings of what caused this without it. It could likely be proven even further were I to dig the projectile out of that IIIA armor plate, but I don’t believe it’s necessary since other rounds in the box were found to have undersized diameters and were very easily pressed down into their properly-crimped cases. I was lucky in that 1) I was still able to test the gun for proper function (not firing out of battery) and 2) I caught the previous shot on film and could verify from the video that there was no bore obstruction (being dorky, I actually blew in the locked-back action to blow smoke out the attached suppressor). With those two potential causes crossed off the list and a barrel that had been proven to function through hundreds of rounds (including with various loads from Underwood), it really didn’t leave much else aside from the ammo being the cause. I can’t say how Underwood would have reacted had I not known what I knew and been able to present that case to them, but I can say that I couldn’t be happier in any way with how easy they made the process and how friendly they were about it. No defensiveness, no ego crap, etc. Just helpful.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you read the other comments by the author (Jeremy S), he seems out of depth in velocity/chamber pressure discussions and unaware that different manufacturer 357 Sig loadings have changed over time, needlessly arguing with another contributor there who knows this basic history. He seems to be very motivated to defend Underwood as a company - and I get this as I've purchased many times from them and received excellent service and products - but defending them at the expense of denying common knowledge undercuts his credibility. People buy Underwood and Buffalo Bore because they push their loadings past what many commercial manufacturers will do.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom