• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Great post. Inspirational.

Excerpt:

"If you’re not willing to make the lesser sacrifices of training and preparation, you will not make the ultimate sacrifice. Period. Full-stop. End-of-story.

Training—whether it’s PT, handgun, rifle, combatives, patrolling, etc—is a form of sacrifice. You are giving up some of your time, that one thing in life we cannot get more of, and some of your comfort (at least, if you’re training validly), in the hope that, sometime in the future, when you need the attributes developed, that they will be there, and you will be favored with victory. Whether you believe in Yahweh, Odhinn, Zoroaster, or any other deity; or you believe in rational science, it’s all the same. If you make the sacrifice now, you hope you will be repaid your offering later."

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I showed this to my now ex-wife's aunt, who had packed on the pounds and was double her weight from when I met her.

Her reaction? "Oh, that poor man." WTF.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Was listening to DrRadio recently, and they were saying that people who become obese are not likely to recover long term. Of all methods studied, of those that were successful in losing weight and getting healthy, only a fraction stayed that way 1,3,5,10 years later.

Once the body adjusts or sets to a new weight, it will resist your efforts to lose weight and your entire body will return to why it considers your new normal; despite your super-ego wanting to look like a super-model.

For the obese loosing even some weight can have significant positive health effects.

Not intended to discourage, but mostly to say happiness is not correlated to weight, but overall health - mental & physical are. You can be active, happy and overweight. Regardless of how hard you try or how much success you have, enjoy the skin you are in.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Was listening to DrRadio recently, and they were saying that people who become obese are not likely to recover long term. Of all methods studied, of those that were successful in losing weight and getting healthy, only a fraction stayed that way 1,3,5,10 years later.

Once the body adjusts or sets to a new weight, it will resist your efforts to lose weight and your entire body will return to why it considers your new normal; despite your super-ego wanting to look like a super-model.

For the obese loosing even some weight can have significant positive health effects.

Not intended to discourage, but mostly to say happiness is not correlated to weight, but overall health - mental & physical are. You can be active, happy and overweight. Regardless of how hard you try or how much success you have, enjoy the skin you are in.

It is also important to note that weight is not the only marker of health or fitness. You can be large but still be extremely strong and agile. Weight just tends to correlate with other poor health markers.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I get the motivational portion of this.... and I'm not saying that it isn't important to train and stay healthy, but that article rubbed me the wrong way. It came across as a blow hard saying if you don't do it my way, you don't know sacrifice and you are just a poser. I'm calling B.S.

The world is full of freedom loving people willing and capable of making sacrifice for their values/country. Sacrifice and dedication can come from many places and one need not be a Delta-operator type to stand up for what is important. Most people of good conscience are not even aware of what they are capable of until the moment of truth arises. My $0.02

Dolley-Madison-directing-rescue-of-George-Washington-portrait-631.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

0.jpg

FLGIMGS1000000651_-00_Molly-Pitcher-Wallpaper-1280x768-Downloadable-Image_2.jpg

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I get the motivational portion of this.... and I'm not saying that it isn't important to train and stay healthy, but that article rubbed me the wrong way. It came across as a blow hard saying if you don't do it my way, you don't know sacrifice and you are just a poser. I'm calling B.S.

The world is full of freedom loving people willing and capable of making sacrifice for their values/country. Sacrifice and dedication can come from many places and one need not be a Delta-operator type to stand up for what is important. Most people of good conscience are not even aware of what they are capable of until the moment of truth arises. My $0.02

Dolley-Madison-directing-rescue-of-George-Washington-portrait-631.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

0.jpg

FLGIMGS1000000651_-00_Molly-Pitcher-Wallpaper-1280x768-Downloadable-Image_2.jpg

While you are correct, I think the author is attempting to speak to the many not the few.

He is essentially trashing internet bravado and saying be about it don't just talk about it. In fact the example of sacrifice that he references is specifically physical.

The author is obviously a believer in PT first, meaning that the discipline required to workout will beget the discipline required to do any other great thing.

Of course there are tons of folks who aren't currently fit, who would still do great things. Many of these folks are currently working on their fitness though. I often reference Larry Vickers on this one, he is often teased for being fat, but he exercises and tries to overcome a lifetime of physical abuse. If he didn't even try, it would be reasonable to say WTF.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I was going to read this whole thread but it was too taxing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom