• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Yes.

Yugos are a lot of fun and just look cool.

Really, REALLY, clean the snot out of it first or you'll have a single shot.

Yeah that is what the internets say as well. Mineral Spirits is where I was directed....

And out in the sun for the stock.

Any other suggestions? I don't have cool tools like sonic cleaners. I just be po boy. Well not really but my wife has all my money..... :rolleyes:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yeah that is what the internets say as well. Mineral Spirits is where I was directed....

And out in the sun for the stock.

Any other suggestions? I don't have cool tools like sonic cleaners. I just be po boy. Well not really but my wife has all my money..... :rolleyes:

Mineral spirits will work. Can use it on the stock too. Not sure how much sun/heat you'll generate this time of year. Hair drier maybe.

Break out ALL of your different caliber bore brushes. You'll need them for all the different holes, bores, nooks, and crannies. A toothpick works well for the gas port in the barrel.

Make sure you disassemble and clean the spring and tappet that resides inside of the rear sight base. Take the bolt apart and clean it too. You want that firing pin to rattle when you shake the bolt up and down.

Good luck and have fun.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Not sure how much sun/heat you'll generate this time of year. Hair drier maybe.

One thing that I did to de-cosmoline some surplus rifles a while back was to make a little "oven."

I took a shiny steel trashcan, drilled some holes along one edge, and mounted some big, high wattage incandescent lightbulbs in there. Stick the rifle inside, turn on all the lights, and the cosmo will get warm enough to just run off of the gun.

You want to do this outside, and watch it so it doesn't get too hot, and make sure the cosmoline isn't dripping on the bulbs or anything, but it works well. Leave a rifle in there for a few hours and you can come back and just wipe a lot of it off.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Do not, I repeat, Do not use your wifes oven. The life you save will be your own.

If the temps warm up a bit later, wrap it in black trash bags (with something to catch the drippings) out in the sun for a few hours. Definitely clean the bolt. Soak it in mineral spirits or hose down really well with gun scrubber.
    I do like the trash can idea.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    One thing that I did to de-cosmoline some surplus rifles a while back was to make a little "oven."

I took a shiny steel trashcan, drilled some holes along one edge, and mounted some big, high wattage incandescent lightbulbs in there. Stick the rifle inside, turn on all the lights, and the cosmo will get warm enough to just run off of the gun.

That's a really good idea, Hawkeye! I used the summer sun and black trash bags on Mosin's, but also ended up pouring 180 degree water over them to get off the cosmoline that the sun didn't. You made your own sun and can leave it on as long as you need to. :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Now, what gun gets kicked out of the safe? :shrug:

Probably the Ruger 10/22.

Have Santa bring you a larger safe. Might as well, you're not going to able to stop. Some think they can stop buying, but it's an addiction.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    That's a really good idea, Hawkeye! I used the summer sun and black trash bags on Mosin's, but also ended up pouring 180 degree water over them to get off the cosmoline that the sun didn't. You made your own sun and can leave it on as long as you need to. :)

Thanks, I appreciate that. I can't lay claim to it, though - I read it somewhere probably on a surplus rifle site or something a long while ago when I bought a Mauser.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I pull the metal from the stock and totally dissassemble.
    Yes, you should remove the firing pin too if you don't want a slam fire.
    I use a heat gun on metal to soften up the cosmo and get the bulk of it to drip off.
    I soak the bolt and piston parts in a plastic shoe box of mineral spirits
    Mineral spirit rub on the stock with a paper towel.

No ovens for me. definitly don't want any cosmo dripping or fumes in the oven for me.

To get the sks firing pin out, watch videos, you need to use a punch to push a pin out.

If you didn't get tbe bulk of the cosmo out of the stock, you'll know it on a warm day (bring some more towels)

SKS is well worth the time to deal with cosmo.... just think of it as sweat equity

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I pull the metal from the stock and totally dissassemble.
    Yes, you should remove the firing pin too if you don't want a slam fire.
    I use a heat gun on metal to soften up the cosmo and get the bulk of it to drip off.
    I soak the bolt and piston parts in a plastic shoe box of mineral spirits
    Mineral spirit rub on the stock with a paper towel.

No ovens for me. definitly don't want any cosmo dripping or fumes in the oven for me.

To get the sks firing pin out, watch videos, you need to use a punch to push a pin out.

If you didn't get tbe bulk of the cosmo out of the stock, you'll know it on a warm day (bring some more towels)

SKS is well worth the time to deal with cosmo.... just think of it as sweat equity

I watched like a gazillion YouTube videos, and figured out the bolt piece.... Took it apart (entire rifle as well) , got the pin out and cleaned, and now it runs free!!!! No slam fires for me.... I did use mineral spirits, and got the cosmo off of all the metal. I used it on the stock as well, however I can tell there is more in there...... We won't have a warm sunny day for a while. Picture coming soon. Maybe even today.....

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Well, I am two days into my new rifle.

I have one thing, and one thing only to say....

I HATE COSMOLINE......... :o

Use Mineral Spirits, no big deal. Spray it on, let it sit a couple minutes will come off. Make sure firing pin is clean, floater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom