• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I use Wiseval Photophant for batch resizing.

I Made a "resize Folder" where it puts it after resizing.

I open wiseval, go to where all the pics are and cut them from the camera, Paste in wiseval, then hit the wand to make them all 800x600. it sends them to the "resize folder", then i can move them where they need to be. Sounds like alot of work but better then manually resizing 100 pics. Wiseval does it in like 3 seconds

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

I open wiseval, go to where all the pics are and cut them from the camera, Paste in wiseval, then hit the wand to make them all 800x600. it sends them to the "resize folder", then i can move them where they need to be. Sounds like alot of work but better then manually resizing 100 pics. Wiseval does it in like 3 seconds

WTF language is this?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    on my phone...
    wtf-thats-too-much.jpg

Zactly

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Please pardon and have mercy on my ignorance. I'm not super tech savvy to begin with, and I have started trying to use a Mac for the first time. Now, even the few things I used to know how to do...I don't know how to do:o

I want to be a picture posting member of the community, but there are a few things I'm not sure about. Mostly, I've been wary about the size issue (which is why I'm using this thread). I don't want to be "that guy" who posts enormous pics that take forever to load and completely screw up the size of the thread. BUT...I haven't seen any of that happening lately. Did the big upgrade that happened include automatic resizing? Can I now just use the attach button at the bottom of the screen and slap down anything from a 200kb flip phone pic to a full 5mb camera pic and not worry about it?

I was brave the other day and posted a pic...but I thought I was pretty clever about it. Facebook always seems to resize automatically, so I downloaded the pic from Facebook (in whatever size/format it was in), and then uploaded it here. Is that what I should be doing?

Again, apologies for the dummy/noobish questions. The picture FAQ's seem to be a little out of date? (or I don't understand how to find and create my own albumin my user cp) I just figured I'd ask before I start tossing out huge files.

Thanks!:D

If you need some help I highly suggest contacting member here Scott R. He is my Mac guru and is very knowledgeable as he's the Mac Admin At his work. He's very reasonable and he's located in Harford county so can't be to far from you. I'm a tech dummy but had to learn on a PC for my mortgage job. I got tired of my home PCs and laptop dying so I boughtva MacBook and was lost. Scott got me going. He can set your Mac to automatically size pics for MDS. It's saved me. Tell him I sent you if you will

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind resizing one at a time, and it seems to be pretty simple on the Mac. Is 800x600 a good size? That was another thing I wasn't sure of. I grasp the concept of pixels (I guess), and that more is bigger, but I'm fuzzy on what actually "big" is. I'd be trying to zero in on a good size by trial and error. If 800x600 is "normal," I'll go with that.

If you need some help I highly suggest contacting member here Scott R. He is my Mac guru and is very knowledgeable as he's the Mac Admin At his work. He's very reasonable and he's located in Harford county so can't be to far from you. I'm a tech dummy but had to learn on a PC for my mortgage job. I got tired of my home PCs and laptop dying so I boughtva MacBook and was lost. Scott got me going. He can set your Mac to automatically size pics for MDS. It's saved me. Tell him I sent you if you will

Thanks for the offer. I seem to be figuring stuff out. I'm kind of in the same boat. I was so frustrated with Windows 10 (and especially that it was forced on me) that I swore (again), my next computer would be a Mac. Well, when my Dell died, I held true to my word. Honestly, I'm a little underwhelmed with the Mac. I'm sure part of it is just not knowing how to do stuff anymore (which was a Win 10 complaint!)...but in order for it to run the couple of games I play, I had to spend a lot of money because entry level Mac's just don't handle the graphics. I could have bought 3 pc's...I just hope it lasts 3 times as long!

You're ahead of me already
    So, this was much easier than I expected. I don't know what operating system your Mac might be using...I don't even know what mine is, but I'll tell you how it worked on mine and maybe yours is similar.
    Stage 1) Shrink the picture. Find the pic you want .If you want to keep an original copy, right click on it, then click "duplicate." Open the duplicate (I don't know what program...whatever my Mac used when I double clicked on it). Bring down the "Tools" menu from the top of the screen and click "Adjust size." Make sure the drop down menu connected to "Height" and "Width" is set to "Pixels" and that "Scale Proportionally" is selected. An avatar must be smaller than 100 x 100 pixels (the website told me so), so adjust either "height" or "width" to 100 and the other will set itself accordingly. Hit "OK" and either remember what the pic is called and where to find it, or save it in a findable location. Got all that? Your avatar should be ready. Now to put it in action...

Stage 2) Upload and activate. While logged in to MDS, click on "User CP" in the top menu bar (next to "Home"). On the left side menu bar, under the heading, "Settings and Options," click "Edit Avatar." Towards the bottom, under "Custom Avatar" click, "Choose File" under "Option 2--Upload Image From Your Computer" Figure out where you saved it and it should upload almost instantly (because it's such a small file now). Make sure the "Use Custom Avatar" button is selected and you should be good to go.

That's what worked for me, anyway. Best of luck to you! (because if it doesn't work for you...I wouldn't know where to begin to try to help :o)

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Thanks for the reply. I don't mind resizing one at a time, and it seems to be pretty simple on the Mac. Is 800x600 a good size? That was another thing I wasn't sure of. I grasp the concept of pixels (I guess), and that more is bigger, but I'm fuzzy on what actually "big" is. I'd be trying to zero in on a good size by trial and error. If 800x600 is "normal," I'll go with that.

That is a good size for normal uploading of pictures. It seems like most all websites let that post without issues.

If you need to do a avatar 100x100 is the standard I believe.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    That is a good size for normal uploading of pictures. It seems like most all websites let that post without issues.

If you need to do a avatar 100x100 is the standard I believe.

Yes, the avatar selection page spells out the 100x100. Annnnd, as I just tried my luck posting a pic that I resized all by myself, I noticed that the upload/manage attachments window clearly spells out the maximum sizes for each file type....so I should have been able to figure that out for myself too :o

Like I tell my guys at work, "Good things happen when you read the directions" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom