Can I sell a hundgun in Virginia even I am a MD resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Woody
    You asked a good question, the reason I don't want to sell the gun to a MD dealer because I do not have a HQL license , it is said I must apply if I want to purchase, sell and transfer in MD. I am not going to apply the HQL license right now because I have no any plan to purchase any handgun . I don't know how to sell to an individual through MSP (Maryland state police ) , I just want to through a easiest and safe way.
    Thanks.
    Also, the process with MSP is easy. You meet the private MD resident buyer at barracks, and the police handle the transfer. (Call before showing up)... $10 I think. As far as safest, that's a pretty safe way to make a private sale, and you're likely to get more money than selling it over the counter at a gun shop. If you sell to someone out of state, you send it to an FFL in their home state and they take it from there.

It doesn't have to be an anxiety laden exercise... Unless you decide on the cash behind the Walmart option...

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Also, the process with MSP is easy. You meet the private MD resident buyer at barracks, and the police handle the transfer. (Call before showing up)... $10 I think. As far as safest, that's a pretty safe way to make a private sale, and you're likely to get more money than selling it over the counter at a gun shop. If you sell to someone out of state, you send it to an FFL in their home state and they take it from there.

It doesn't have to be an anxiety laden exercise... Unless you decide on the cash behind the Walmart option...

Cheers

No, the barracks transfer is not the simple “show-up-and-transfer” process you allude to where “the police handle the transfer”.

Both the buyer and seller must go to the Maryland State Police website and complete their part of the application to transfer a handgun – – a process that involves creating an account with a password. It is only after both the buyer and seller complete their online “paperwork” that you approach the barracks with a $10 check or a $10 money order (no personal checks allowed).

Completion of the online transfer app generates a PIN number emailed to the seller that is given to the Trooper at the barracks so they can go into the application for their part of the firearm serial number verification and ownership verification.

Both buyer and seller must present their drivers licenses, which will be used to run a check for outstanding warrants. If you have a warrant you will be arrested on the spot.

Only the buyer needs an HQL. The handgun being sold must be left in the seller’s vehicle until the trooper decides to go out to the vehicle to inspect it himself, or requests that the firearm be brought into the barracks in a case.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    No, the barracks transfer is not the simple “show-up-and-transfer” process you allude to where “the police handle the transfer”.

Both the buyer and seller must go to the Maryland State Police website and complete their part of the application to transfer a handgun – – a process that involves creating an account with a password. It is only after both the buyer and seller complete their online “paperwork” that you approach the barracks with a $10 check or a $10 money order (no personal checks allowed).

Completion of the online transfer app generates a PIN number emailed to the seller that is given to the Trooper at the barracks so they can go into the application for their part of the firearm serial number verification and ownership verification.

Both buyer and seller must present their drivers licenses, which will be used to run a check for outstanding warrants. If you have a warrant you will be arrested on the spot.

Only the buyer needs an HQL. The handgun being sold must be left in the seller’s vehicle until the trooper decides to go out to the vehicle to inspect it himself, or requests that the firearm be brought into the barracks in a case.

MSP also takes credit cards.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Completion of the online transfer app generates a PIN number emailed to the seller that is given to the Trooper at the barracks so they can go into the application for their part of the firearm serial number verification and ownership verification. .

Does seller and buyer fill out one application , use one password at same time? Can I put my gun information in craigslist or other web ? What kind of document the police will give to me after transfer ? Do I need to keep a photo copy of buyer's HQL or driver license ?

Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Does seller and buyer fill out one application , use one password at same time? Can I put my gun information in craigslist or other web ? What kind of document the police will give to me after transfer ? DO I need to keep a photo copy of buyer's HQL or driver license ?

Let's see if we can crose the book on this:

If you transfer at the Maryland State Police barracks, you can print out info from the online application to keep it, but you don't need to.

Once the firearm is registered, it is in the new owner's name in the MSP files, and there is no paperwork need to retain.

In my transfer using the MSP online applications I have been the Buyer and I have completed the application with my information along with the Seller's information given to me by phone or text from the Seller. Upon completion of the application, I received a pin number by email that I provided to the trooper at the barracks so they could access the application to complete the transfer.

Remember, you MUST retain the firearm for 7 days after your transfer session at the MSP barracks. On the morning of the 7th day, usually at 6am, you will receive an email from the MSP announcing that the transfer has been approved. You will meet up with the Buyer at a place of your choosing after the approval email has been received. The meet-up does not have to be at the MSP barracks, but anywhere you and the Buyer agree. Just be careful not to have anyone in your meet-up area see the firearm or a case that appears to be a firearm, or someone may call 911 in a panic.

God speed.

/thread?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While R&R's info is certainly accurate , in the situation of the OP , I think he would prefer the one & done simplicity of using services of Dealer .

Either leave on Consignment , or to drop off for transfer to Buyer .

For Efeng - The Dealer Fee for a transfer usually +/- $50 . Who pays is negotiated between buyer and seller . More typically either Buyer pays , or split half and half . Establish who pays before final agreement on selling price .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Did the government GOA do a sting to try to get groups or gun sellers to do illegal selling ??? I seen it on a post somewhere .

I would always say follow the laws of the state(s) involved and a FFL would be required in most if not all situations . I or other persons here will not break the law , we barely have gun rights now in Maryland to lose the very little we have . If this is a MSP officer please stop the nonsense .

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Mightydog,

I am really sorry to confused you or other people, but please tell me where I said I want to sell the gun in Oklahoma in NOV 14 message ? I never went to that state before. I still have some new questions but am not going to ask on this messages.

Thanks.

Some people are just being dicks or poking fun cuz of the language barrier. This is a place where you should be able to ask questions so don't hesitate as 99% of us would prefer you do it legally.

If you want to sell your pistol in MD you can (without a HQL) but the buyer needs to have his/hers.

You can sell your gun in VA but it has to go to a gun shop or FFL holder.

FFL stands for federal firearms license. These are people that the ATF have said are allowed to buy/sell guns for profit (simple answer).

Being a MD resident you can not sell your handgun in a face to face transaction.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I am deeply sorry that I had confused everyone here because language barrier , I already edited or removed some error messages I can find , if you still find some errors in my messages , please let me know.

Thanks.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I am deeply sorry that I had confused everyone here because language barrier , I already edited or removed some error messages I can find , if you still find some errors in my messages , please let me know.

Thanks.

Don't be sorry, reads well enough. The irony is I bet some busting on your English, speak only that one language.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I am sorry because I am not able to correct the error " hundgun" in title of the message, I used " go advanced " and corrected it, then saved , but when I went back to check it is still there. Can someone teach me how to do it ?

Thanks.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    efeng, if you have questions and do not want to post them, send me a PM (private message) and I will do my best to answer.
    As has been stated, you can sell/transfer your handgun to any FFL that will accept it. You do not need a Maryland HQL to do this. The FFL can be located in any state.
    I was one who made a bit of sport, and for that, I apologize to you

eruby,

Thanks , I will use the private message, you don't need to apologize, I will not remember the people who made the sport to me because it is my fault. I will do my best to avoid in future.

thanks again.

Last edited:

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    eruby,

Thanks , I will use the private message, you don't need to apoloze, I will not remember the people who made the sport to me because it is my fault. I will do my best to avoid in furture.

thanks again.
    No offense meant efeng... Don't worry about trying to correct something so unimportant as hundgun... The most important thing is that you get answers to your questions you can understand.

Don't let some insensitive comments get to you...I applaud your persistence!

What is your native language, if you don't mind my asking?

Woody

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Two things:

1. Y'all will have two members to thank in this thread who have virtually ensured that the "no edit" restrictions are going to come back, because they threw a wall of shit out there and disrupted the discussion and then went back and mass-deleted a bunch of posts.

2. The rest of you that are piling on like a bunch of 8th grade mean girls need to knock it off or you are going to get a long vacation. There are 5 people who manage this forum, and the rest of you that want to pass pronouncements on new members and act as pseudo-moderators are going to find out damned quickly that it's not the case that you get to make those kind of judgement calls.

Act like adults and not a bunch of 13 year old middle schoolers.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Two things:

1. Y'all will have two members to thank in this thread who have virtually ensured that the "no edit" restrictions are going to come back, because they threw a wall of shit out there and disrupted the discussion and then went back and mass-deleted a bunch of posts.

2. The rest of you that are piling on like a bunch of 8th grade mean girls need to knock it off or you are going to get a long vacation. There are 5 people who manage this forum, and the rest of you that want to pass pronouncements on new members and act as pseudo-moderators are going to find out damned quickly that it's not the case that you get to make those kind of judgement calls.

Act like adults and not a bunch of 13 year old middle schoolers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Maybe someone can then combine his two threads that have been repeatedly asking the same questions since October? That may relieve some of the frustration of repeatedly answering the same thing. His other thread, same topic, has over 145 replies. And when someone says "your a dick" for answering, repeatedly, the same question then yes I will delete my posts on the subject. Or delete the best I can with that option gone. Thank you very much. So go ahead and name names, I'll man up.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Thanks Norton, I did not delete my post. It seemed like people were enjoying keeping this thread going. I feel for the new member. He took a bunch of crap warranted or unwarranted. He's New does not speak our language and conducted himself like a gentleman. Sorry for the dead horse post. We are not moderators.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Two things:

:sad20:

To all of those that made this happen, you have really made my blood heat up. There were some changes I wanted to make as general housekeeping in some of my sticky threads. But no, we can't play nice and let a good thing be. FFS... :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom