Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    New to the Forum & a new Cruffler

Hi folks,
    I'm new to the forum and have been reading many of the threads & posts for several weeks so I already feel like I know many of you! This is my first post, so give me a chance to learn all the protocol.

Received my C&R yesterday (took about 3 weeks). When I quit smoking a few months ago all the support info said to 'replace one habit with another'. They also tell you to 'reward yourself'. Since I already had a 'collection of stuff that goes "boom"' I'd accumulated over the years & the smell of burned powder is pretty cool...well, here I am...reaping the rewards. Already picked up a Ruger MKI & P89 as rewards...maybe tobacco was cheaper?

Lot's of questions on C&R's come to mind, but my first to you that have experience are:
    - A&D records: There are many formats for the 'bound book'. I've downloaded and printed several files that look like they should be OK. As I'm understanding it, a three ring binder is fine. Is there really a need to order one from Brownels, Midway or? Looking for advice.
    - Parts that are considered C&R "firearms": If I buy a frame (say a CZ52 lower) w/ my C&R with the intention of adding an aftermarket slide and bbl in 9MM (which I have), is the frame the only part I need to record as a C&R acquisition?. Seems to me a 9MM mod would make a CZ52 a non-C&R, but simply taking off an add on slide would put the frame back to its original C&R config. Anyone's thoughts?
    - Any recommendations for a "first" C&R purchase?
    Thanks.

Last edited:

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    WELCOME!! Nice to see you got a C&R. I really think you will love it.

maybe tobacco was cheaper?
    Yes it was (Until O'Malley taxes cigarettes again!) but the gun hobby will make you happier. :D

Lot's of questions on C&R's come to mind, but my first to you that have experience are:
    - A&D records: There are many formats for the 'bound book'. I've downloaded and printed several files that look like they should be OK. As I'm understanding it, a three ring binder is fine. Is there really a need to order one from Brownels, Midway or? Looking for advice.
    Just print them out and use 'em. There is no need to order one unless you want a nice one. The pages don't even need to be in a binder. According to ATF, all that you need to have is an "orderly arrangement of loose-leaf pages." Personally mine are in that format. Just MAKE SURE you number your pages!!

- Parts that are considered C&R "firearms": If I buy a frame (say a CZ52 lower) w/ my C&R with the intention of adding an aftermarket slide and bbl in 9MM (which I have), is the frame the only part I need to record as a C&R acquisition?. Seems to me a 9MM mod would make a CZ52 a non-C&R, but simply taking off an add on slide would put the frame back to its original C&R config. Anyone's thoughts?
    As far as I know parts are not qualified under a C&R purchase so technically if you buy a receiver or handgun frame it would have to go to a dealer. I believe this because the parts are not in their original configuration. I would just buy the CZ-52 and convert it later. It may not still be qualified as a C&R but it must stay in your bound book until the firearm is sold. Even if the firearm is sold out of its C&R status. I received bound book info directly from a letter to the ATF.

- Any recommendations for a "first" C&R purchase?
    TT-33, vz-82, or a Swiss K31 would all be EXCELLENT first purchases!
    Any of the purchases you make have them throw in a Russian Nagant Revolver (for a handgun purchase) or a Russian Mosin Nagant (for a rifle purchase). It's only like $80-$90 more. You will save a bit on shipping so it's really worth it.

Hey no problem and welcome to the club!!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Coinboy, thanks for the input & the warm welcome.
    I've had the gun habit for many years...it was always part of my A(lcohol), T(obacco) & F(irearms) personal commitment to myself. Thanks to my own good sense I'm now down to two of those commitments, but two outta three ain't bad as they say.

On C&R parts, I've seen frames and receivers offered for sale as C&R OK items on sites like Gunbroker.com & Auctionarms.com. Doesn't make it legal to offer them, and may well not make it OK to buy them on a C&R that way. What you say about parts like that not being in their original C&R config makes some sense. Anyone's experience on that would be very helpful...???

On first C&R purchases...great minds think alike! Already have a K31 I've never even fired. A TT-33 & vz82 are on the top of my 'to get' list. I'm hoping to pick up a second CZ52 (or at least a lower/frame) to use with my 9mm bbl so I can quit swapping slides and barrels.

BTW, with the right action tweaks and reload recipes, 9mm is great fun to cheaply shoot in a CZ52. I'd really be interested in anyone's experience on that topic.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Coinboy, thanks for the input & the warm welcome.
    I've had the gun habit for many years...it was always part of my A(lcohol), T(obacco) & F(irearms) personal commitment to myself. Thanks to my own good sense I'm now down to two of those commitments, but two outta three ain't bad as they say.

On C&R parts, I've seen frames and receivers offered for sale as C&R OK items on sites like Gunbroker.com & Auctionarms.com. Doesn't make it legal to offer them, and may well not make it OK to buy them on a C&R that way. What you say about parts like that not being in their original C&R config makes some sense. Anyone's experience on that would be very helpful...???

On first C&R purchases...great minds think alike! Already have a K31 I've never even fired. A TT-33 & vz82 are on the top of my 'to get' list. I'm hoping to pick up a second CZ52 (or at least a lower/frame) to use with my 9mm bbl so I can quit swapping slides and barrels.

BTW, with the right action tweaks and reload recipes, 9mm is great fun to cheaply shoot in a CZ52. I'd really be interested in anyone's experience on that topic.

:lol2: That ATF thing is funny as hell!

I do know there are people on the board that did buy a non-complete C&R gun as a C&R purchase. So it is possible but I wouldn't do it because I feel it's a VERY grey area. The CZ-52's are cheap enough from SOG ($119) that I would just buy another. (In fact I have two for that very reason.)

I also have the 9mm barrel for the CZ-52 but haven't shot it because right now it's not cost effective for me to do so. I can get 7.62x25 delivered to my house from AIM for a lot cheaper than I can get the 9mm luger rounds anywhere. So until that changes I'll just shoot the real stuff. In fact I just finished building my drop in 9mm barrel today. It was a stripped barrel so I went to a gun show and bought all the spare parts to make it a drop in. (two rollers, the cam slide and the retaining pin. I guess I should test it out one day. I know Novus was talking about jamming issues with his a while back. I don't know if he fixed it.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    be careful with midway. they yanked my dealer account because apparently somehow i was an internet dealer. they couldn't (or wouldn't) elaborate any further, or provide any proof of their claim. just told me they were yanking it and that's that.

Jim Keenan

Aug 16, 2008
    Basically, MD does not recognize a C&R FFL. For non-regulated firearms, it doesn't matter.

For regulated firearms, MD considers that it is legal to receive a gun from outside the state with a C&R FFL, but it cannot be subsequently transferred in the state to anyone, even another C&R FFL holder, without going through the normal transfer process.

Jim

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Basically, MD does not recognize a C&R FFL. For non-regulated firearms, it doesn't matter.

For regulated firearms, MD considers that it is legal to receive a gun from outside the state with a C&R FFL, but it cannot be subsequently transferred in the state to anyone, even another C&R FFL holder, without going through the normal transfer process.

Jim

Do you have a cite for this? this is the first I have heard of this interpretation.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    hmmm....

Thank you very much.....I think I need to go see a relative I may have lent a webley too.....

A temporary gratuitous loan is not a "transfer" in MD.

If the relative is a brother and you want to transfer ownership to him and it is not a sale, then you do not have to pay the transfer fee and you just have to notify the MDSP after it is done.
    (2) If the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser's spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:

(i) complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and

(ii) forward the application to the Secretary within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

(3) The Secretary shall waive the $10 application fee required under § 5-118(a)(2) of this subtitle for a gift purchased in accordance with this subsection.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    i got my C&R application like three days after requesting it. i sent my payment away sept 26th and got my license on Oct 9th. two week is not bad for a government agency

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD

davidlj

FM6
    Oct 24, 2008
    Glen Burnie MD
    I could say WTF order a C&R from outside MD and it is not defined as a regulated firearm. But presto changeo buy it inside MD and it is indeed a regulated firearm. But they did say that the letter did not constitue an official opinion of the office of the AG of Maryland. A Mule is a Mule and never quite a quarterhorse.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I could say WTF order a C&R from outside MD and it is not defined as a regulated firearm. But presto changeo buy it inside MD and it is indeed a regulated firearm. But they did say that the letter did not constitue an official opinion of the office of the AG of Maryland. A Mule is a Mule and never quite a quarterhorse.

IMHO, if anything, the letter from Mark Bowen is wrong in our favor, not against us.

The MD statute says an "importer" licensed by the feds is excluded from the regulated firearms statute, but does not define "importer" and so therefore any FFL which can import is very likely excluded from the regulated firearms requirments.
    If they tried to push the issue, they may lose big time and anyone with a C&R may end up able to buy any "regulated" firearm as an "importer" in the state, so I am willing to bet they will not want to press the issue beyond what is generally accepted now any more that we do at this point.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Still waiting on my C&R, however again i wanted to thank all of you who contribute to the site as you guys are a wealth of info and find some great links! Thank you :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom