• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sick Pup

Feb 14, 2018
    Does anyone know of a place that gives rifle lessons? My son (13) has been shooting and hunting for 4 years. We shoot plunty, but at 100yds max. He has the desire to shoot 200-400 and one day maybe do competition. We have several bolt action rifles .22, .223 and .308. Just need someone with more knowledge then me to teach him. $$$ Thanks.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited:

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Check out Appleseed shoots. Don't know if they have age limits. Appleseed teaches marksmanship.

I second this. You will want to use a semi auto .22 since they are timed stages. This is absolutely the cheapest 2 day course that teaches the fundamentals. It gives a great foundation for rifle shooting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Intros are generally nice . But in this instance a straight foreward , noncontroversal , direct query on a relevant topic . No harm , no foul .

Yes , it would seem basic marksmanship training is what the OP is looking for . The helpful links in post #5 give several possibilities.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Intros are generally nice . But in this instance a straight foreward , noncontroversal , direct query on a relevant topic . No harm , no foul .

Yes , it would seem basic marksmanship training is what the OP is looking for . The helpful links in post #5 give several possibilities.

Ok, fare enough I'll sit down in the corner.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Hey, quit pickin' on the new guy. I never did an intro post and nobody ever bothered me :)

Yep, I don’t see the need to always tell the newbies to go post in the intro section. It ain’t like they are standing in front of you ready to shake your hand after telling you their life story.

Sick Pup

Feb 14, 2018
    Thanks! Signd my son and I for the March 10th-11th clinic at AGC. I have never even heard of project Appleseed so I appreciate the information.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I'm always happy to bring guests to Quantico and demonstrate basic long range marksmanship skills from 200 to 1000 yards (depending on which ranges are open). The key to going beyond a zero range like 100 yards is understanding ballistics and reading the wind.

I shoot a variety of calibers at distance. .223, .308. 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55mm, .30-06. The first three are my preferences. As the weather warms up I'll be getting down to QSC more often.

Matt

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ed Shell at Central Virginia Tactical

Dan Newberry at Bang Steel

I have taken courses with both, and both do a good job, but with different approaches.

Both will run you out to over 1000 yards.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I never did an intro. Is it too late now? Have you guys been giving me crappy advice all these years because I didn't do an intro? lol

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks! Signd my son and I for the March 10th-11th clinic at AGC. I have never even heard of project Appleseed so I appreciate the information.

Appleseed is a fantastic program! My club sponsors them at the AGC so I'll probably see you and your son there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom