Does HK MP5A3 Collapsible Stock Meet Minimum 29" OAL Requirement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    as previously stated they can not be sold until October but should be around $1675 I believe.

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    I exclusively shoot outside of Md in PA, could I make a stock that satisfies the 29'' goal while the weapon is stored in state but when I go to the range swap out the stock for a normal fixed or collapsible? If so, I'll find a cheap stock and modify (screw a 2x4) to please the lordship.

Sent from my KFSAWI using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes. There's no issue with constructive possession. Your gun is either 29" in the state of MD, or it's not. I have a gun where I own a fixed stock and a folding stock - if I want to use a suppressor in the state of MD on it, off comes the folder for a fixed stock. No problems.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Your gun is either 29" in the state of MD, or it's not. I have a gun where I own a fixed stock and a folding stock - if I want to use a suppressor in the state of MD on it, off comes the folder for a fixed stock. No problems.

Do you know if either of your stocks—folding or fixed—would allow an MP5 to meet MD's 29" OAL requirement? I just pow-wow'd with Engage re this issue and the [ugly] AR-style stock was the only option they could come up with. I really do want something that's either collapsible or foldable down to ~the length of the gun itself, which isn't an option with the AR-style stock due to the buffer tube.

Oh and just in case anyone's interested, here's the gun (which remains out of my reach until 18 October (when it hits the MD Roster) plus seven or eight days (I forget which?)—MD's mandatory kiddie time-out):

Attachments

• Z-5RS - first photos 003+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      Z-5RS - first photos 003+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      118.3 KB · Views: 889

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Do you know if either of your stocks—folding or fixed—would allow an MP5 to meet MD's 29" OAL requirement? I just pow-wow'd with Engage re this issue and the [ugly] AR-style stock was the only option they could come up with. I really do want something that's either collapsible or foldable down to ~the length of the gun itself, which isn't an option with the AR-style stock due to the buffer tube.

Oh and just in case anyone's interested, here's the gun (which remains out of my reach until 18 October (when it hits the MD Roster) plus seven or eight days (I forget which?)—MD's mandatory kiddie time-out):
    Neither would do it. The barrel is longer than a standard MP5.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

That's beautiful. I didn't know about these before, and now I really, really want one.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    That's beautiful. I didn't know about these before, and now I really, really want one.

You're either under 30 or must be one of the three people who missed Die Hard...

600px-DH_1101.jpg

IntrospectiveBizarroWhiteyGleason.jpg

latest

I think that just about everyone (who isn't an anti-2A lefty) who sees it, wants it (including me).
    Oh, and don't forget the 92F...
    latest

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Not the MP5, I've got trigger time on most of the variants of those. :)

The Zenith - I just wasn't aware that anyone was making what looks like a really good clone, that's all.

schnejerator

dabbled in pacifism once
    Sep 26, 2014
    haggistucky
    Could something similar to this be built up to ~3" to get to 29" OAL (note this isn't a HK94)? Is a screw on extension legit?

500.jpg

The MP5 stock I have does NOT have a removable buttpad, not sure if they're all like this...

Last edited:

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Could something similar to this be built up to ~3" to get to 29" OAL (note this isn't a HK94)? Is a screw on extension legit?

I was told that a buttstock isn't gonna cut it, but I'm getting sufficiently desperate that I'll ask about this. Thanks.

In the interim, I got the end cap with the single-point sling loop and I'll see how well the single-point sling works. Alternatively, I may end up just getting a Sig Brace and chinning it...at least 'til I leave this increasingly unconstitutional, Kafka-state.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In theory, I don't see why that extension wouldn't work. You need a tool to take it off, presumably, so it's genuinely part of the stock.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    In theory, I don't see why that extension wouldn't work. You need a tool to take it off, presumably, so it's genuinely part of the stock.

As I understand the law, "permanent", insofar as the mechanics of meeting the <29" OAL ban goes, means that parts added to meet the 29" minimum cannot be removed. But I could be wrong, so I'll run it by the legal eagle.

schnejerator

dabbled in pacifism once
    Sep 26, 2014
    haggistucky
    What about AR stocks? Or sidefolders? Collapsable and sometimes removable without tools.

Tell you what we shouldn't do is ask the MSP or ATF!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I have NEVER seen anything talking about requirements of attaching butt stock parts for a min length. Almost all stocks can have a butt pad quickly removed. I see NO reason an extended butt pad would not work. Hell I think one of those slip over pads might even work. Just don't remove it.

Its a shame you guys did not get POs for these guns PreFSA2013. I still have about 15 that would cover this problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom