Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 17th, 2018, 02:51 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe View Post
If anyone has a review of their experience buying a gun there it would be great to hear. The Fort Meade employees vary in their knowledge and customer service skills. If you know what you want you can usually get a good price, especially during a sale, but you probably won’t learn much from the staff.
New here, lurked for a long time, but this is my first post.

My father purchased a Ruger 10/22 Carbine there during the soft launch, and they made him fill out the normal 4473 and for some reason a Maryland 77R (which should only needed for pistols/regulated firearms I believe? It was almost humorous to watch them try to find the 10/22 in the system as the regulated firearm being sold but they eventually somehow did). They gave him the rifle when he paid and walked him to the car with it in about 30 min after he got the PIN from MDSP.

A week or so later we got a mail from MDSP saying our firearm could be picked up and to call a given number if we were already in possession of it. (which we haven't done since it was a 10/22 rifle which doesnt need the waiting period. though should we call them?)

They will only sell to current or retired military person, they will not sell to their spouses or dependents. (I am 40 years old so not a dependent anymore, but I provide care for my mother and frequently go with them there.)

It was an odd experience. We usually buy from different stores around here and never had to do a 77R for a Rifle at any other.

No idea if they still make you do a 77R to get a rifle, maybe its a base policy? or they were/are confused? (it was the first day they were selling firearms there)
Employees in general didnt know much about the weapons being sold. One guy (Charles I think his name is) seemed to know his stuff as far as the weapons themselves go but he was the one insistent that we must do a 77R for the 10/22 Carbine.
jamesp15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 06:45 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp15 View Post

My father purchased a Ruger 10/22 Carbine there during the soft launch, and they made him fill out the normal 4473 and for some reason a Maryland 77R (which should only needed for pistols/regulated firearms I believe? It was almost humorous to watch them try to find the 10/22 in the system as the regulated firearm being sold but they eventually somehow did). They gave him the rifle when he paid and walked him to the car with it in about 30 min after he got the PIN from MDSP.

A week or so later we got a mail from MDSP saying our firearm could be picked up and to call a given number if we were already in possession of it. (which we haven't done since it was a 10/22 rifle which doesnt need the waiting period. though should we call them?)

They will only sell to current or retired military person, they will not sell to their spouses or dependents. (I am 40 years old so not a dependent anymore, but I provide care for my mother and frequently go with them there.)

It was an odd experience. We usually buy from different stores around here and never had to do a 77R for a Rifle at any other.

No idea if they still make you do a 77R to get a rifle, maybe its a base policy? or they were/are confused? (it was the first day they were selling firearms there)
Employees in general didnt know much about the weapons being sold. One guy (Charles I think his name is) seemed to know his stuff as far as the weapons themselves go but he was the one insistent that we must do a 77R for the 10/22 Carbine.

Jamesp15, welcome! Thanks for the review. Sounds about right for AAFES.

Currently they are selling all Sig Sauer guns at 10% off, and of course, no sales tax. If you know what you want it may be worth the painful customer service to land a great price.
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 06:58 PM #13

Great first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp15 View Post

aklax11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region