• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    Does anyone know anything about the Colt Match Target HBAR with serial designation PMH? (Instead of MH)

I can find very little on internet about it…

If anyone knows any details I would be most appreciative

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It could be any number of things for that...maybe Colt made a small run with that number. Maybe a number were accidentally made with duplicated serial numbers so the "P" was added to comply with the legally required unique serial number regulation. Sometimes different serial number prefixes differentiate specific vendors who supplied the raw forgings. It could denote it was built for a specific contract for a distributor or end user.

It doesn't always make sense but there must be a reason.

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    It’s a MT6001 -- This was an impulse buy because it looked 'odd' -- was hoping it was a factory oddity rather than a customization oddity.

Ive found two other threads on AR15.com where people were trying to figure out this PMH serial. One bought one at a gun show, where it was showed to them in a Colt book that low S/N PMH were Pre-ban. However, when they called Colt, colt quickly said there were no Match Targets that were preban - though Colt gave no info on PMH run. Neither thread really clarified what the special PMH run was or how many units were made (1of of the 2, Ive seen was 002xxx the other was 003xxx -- so at least 3500 were produced)

It just seams odd that this would be a customized / reconfig rifle -- the box / barrel both say HBAR and serials on lower / box match --- so not sure what they could have changed other than the buttstock, which seems out of place. But, wouldnt it be odd for a post-ban to have a bayonet lug? Here is the lot description:

SERIAL: PMH0020XX BARREL: 18" CALIBER .223 Rare Colt Match Target Match HBAR lower receiver in M4 configuration with match compensator, bayonet lug, 1:9 5.56 HBAR barrel, standard front sight, fixed carry handle with standard rear sight, "COLT 223" stamped on left side of upper receiver, collapsible textured 2-position M4 style stock, USGI style pistol grip, ejection port cover, brass deflector, and forward assist. Mirror bore, flawless action, light handling marks. Comes in original Blue Label Colt factory box with one 20 round Colt AR-15 marked magazine and black nylon sling. Excellent* MODERN (link w/ pics = https://milestoneauctions.hibid.com/lot/102303943/boxed-colt-match-target-hbar-5-56-rifle?cpage=13 )

Im not optimistic on finding any info... mainly because they other two inquires I found went unresolved. But also not eager to wait 90 days and spend $100 for a Colt Archive Letter. Really, just want to find out what the PMH run was, and what the specifications for it were.... Is a Colt archive letter the only way to obtain this?

Thank you

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, what does Colt mean that there were no Match Targets pre-ban. Ban was September 1994. I purchased a Colt Match Target (MH) in April 1994.

So pre-ban were made. And that is why they were specifically excluded from the ban. And that pre-ban did not necessarily have a PMH serial prefix.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt had voluntarily stopped selling AR-15s earlier...around 1989 or '90 due to some high profile shootings and Bush 41's influence to do so. It wasn't until later with the Brady Law banning such configurations most people associate with it. Colt brought it back with the changes to circumvent the law as so many others did.

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    Right. I thiiiink the distinction comes down to Match HBAR - MH (Preban) vs Match Target HBAR CCH or CMH (Postban)... but I dont know. There are so many prefixes. I thought the generic rule had to do with the bayonet lug...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pre-ban, but after the instances mentioned, they had a flash suppressor but no bayonet lug.

Post-ban they dropped the flash suppressor.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    I got lucky today and snagged this Colt from SOS. It has the PMH serial number designation and Colt 223 marked on the upper. I saw one thread from Sniper's Hide that Colt made these as complete uppers from parts back in 1992-94 era. Any more info. would be greatly appreciated:

1654645475982.png

Thanks, Redbean

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I got lucky today and snagged this Colt from SOS. It has the PMH serial number designation and Colt 223 marked on the upper. I saw one thread from Sniper's Hide that Colt made these as complete uppers from parts back in 1992-94 era. Any more info. would be greatly appreciated:

View attachment 368634

Thanks, Redbean
    Looks like a quadruple neutered post-ban rifle:
    1) No flash suppressor
    2) No bayonet lug
    3) Screw at front pivot point
    4) Marked .223 vs 5.56

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    I called colt on this a while back and forgot to follow up. They didnt give me an specifics on the lower only to say that PMH was a run they had on complete lowers. Similiarly, all colt uppers marked with .223 on side (which is silly becuase the barrels are stamped 5.56) were sold as complete uppers.

So basically Redbean and I both have some frankinstein colts ARs.

I was holding on to this as a possible collector item. Now I think I will plink with it a bit and then find it a new home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom