If I could I would cancel my Gilberts membership.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Love the range...location is great...don't mind the prices. But the people that work the counter have gotten on my last nerve. They are always fighting with each other and talking down to customers. I simply want to shoot in peace.

My membership will NOT be renewed.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Love the range...location is great...don't mind the prices. But the people that work the counter have gotten on my last nerve. They are always fighting with each other and talking down to customers. I simply want to shoot in peace.

Funny you should post that. My brother gave up on them a short while ago. They have a high employee turnover rate and when the place is busy, it's absolute chaos.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I haven't really had issues with the personalities of the counter people. I have had occasional issues with their speed. When there are several people waiting in line it can get really slow. They've been running a bunch of Groupon specials, probably hoping to bring in new business. Can't blame them for that, but it can make things slow down a lot. It doesn't seem that the counter folks can multitask--they gotta finish helping one person before they can get someone else started on something.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD

An option would be to speak to Mr Gilbert. He's a good guy and will go out of his way to make things right.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I actually don't have an issue with the speed...I know they are a business and want to make money. I have actually helped out during a session with some people next to me that had a malfunctioning weapon as they were swamped.

My issue is the attitudes. When I joined they had a nice group working the counter. They did the job they were supposed to do and were helpful when asked a question. Now it seems like they have a bunch of geniuses that act like everyone that walks in that place is new to shooting. Certainly could be the frustration of that whole Groupon wave but that isn't my problem.

The easiest way to keep revenue is to keep existing customers happy...These have been a few of the things I have had to deal with when I am minding my own business...

Don't give me an attitude when I tell you I don't have my membership card. It is in my range bag with my gun. You can take 30 seconds and look it up. I had to make multiple stops on my way in (one of which was a school) and don't want to be convicted of a felony because I decided to break the law and leave my gun in the car.

Don't talk down to me about weapons/ammunition...I may know more than you do.

Stop fighting about filling the Zamboni with water while customers are waiting to be checked in and out. If you really want to argue go in that other room that is filled with guns and have at it. By the way, I am pretty sure that floor scrubber is not called a Zamboni...someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I am sure Mr. Gilbert would correct the problems. Unfortunately I will not be going back so a conversation with him is not in the future.

SigP226

Jul 22, 2011
    Youngsville, NC
    to be honest, most of the problems we have had there is during Groupon People Time. So the wife and I tried some different times and have found one that works pretty good for us, one lane each, quick attention at the desk, and we actually like and have gotten help from the staff. Course, this is 'for what it's worth', but we like it there.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I've had good luck with the staff but the clientele is a whole different story. I was a pubic hair away from flooring one of the range instructors there one day and never went back.

powderhunter

May 29, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I had to take my impatient brother in law to gilberts couple weeks ago, because he wanted to try his new M&P Sport 15 right away. And while I was waiting for him to finish watching the safety video, I seen first hand what they (Gilbert) have to deal with. Now this happened within the span of 30 minutes.

One guy walked in and claimed his girl friend was already shooting in the range & wanted to watch her shoot, one of the clerk reluctantly agree but specifically told him not to shoot without paying for the range fee, and sure enough five minutes later, this idiot was blasting away. Off course he was pulled out immediately with sever tongue lashing from one of the clerk.

And then these two guys came in and wanted to rent & shoot the AR-15, I saw one of the clerk hand him the rifle and he then literally muzzle swept the entire Gilbert crew & the people behind him ( there were a lot of yelling involved). I was surprised that they let him still shoot though.

Next is the group of half dozen people (probably Groupon) celebrating birthday for one of them, and I could hear them talk that none of them ever held a gun. The frustrated look on one of the Gilbert crew was just priceless!

After seeing first hand the amount of crap they deal with (and this was Monday evening), I could somewhat understand why sometimes you get an attitude or an apprehensive look from the people behind the counter. I’m sure stuff like these happens more frequent than you would think in and around the local shooting ranges not just Gilbert.

I don’t hold a membership with Gilbert and I don’t plan on doing it anytime soon, but even with their inflated price on ammunition, I think they still serve the needs for many in and around the county. I try not to have one or two bad apples or experiences influence my judgment on certain businesses. But hey, what do I know, I’m just an eternal optimist.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I am a member at mt Airy Izak Walton. There is also Monocacy pistol club, Frederick Izak Walton.

Show up at a few public matches and get yourself on the waiting list. Its a great club and just around the corner from you.

I dont live far from you either, so i would tend to agree with shooting in your backyard as an option. Just know all of the rules prior to doing it.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I had to take my impatient brother in law to gilberts couple weeks ago, because he wanted to try his new M&P Sport 15 right away. And while I was waiting for him to finish watching the safety video, I seen first hand what they (Gilbert) have to deal with. Now this happened within the span of 30 minutes.

One guy walked in and claimed his girl friend was already shooting in the range & wanted to watch her shoot, one of the clerk reluctantly agree but specifically told him not to shoot without paying for the range fee, and sure enough five minutes later, this idiot was blasting away. Off course he was pulled out immediately with sever tongue lashing from one of the clerk.

And then these two guys came in and wanted to rent & shoot the AR-15, I saw one of the clerk hand him the rifle and he then literally muzzle swept the entire Gilbert crew & the people behind him ( there were a lot of yelling involved). I was surprised that they let him still shoot though.

Next is the group of half dozen people (probably Groupon) celebrating birthday for one of them, and I could hear them talk that none of them ever held a gun. The frustrated look on one of the Gilbert crew was just priceless!

After seeing first hand the amount of crap they deal with (and this was Monday evening), I could somewhat understand why sometimes you get an attitude or an apprehensive look from the people behind the counter. I’m sure stuff like these happens more frequent than you would think in and around the local shooting ranges not just Gilbert.

I don’t hold a membership with Gilbert and I don’t plan on doing it anytime soon, but even with their inflated price on ammunition, I think they still serve the needs for many in and around the county. I try not to have one or two bad apples or experiences influence my judgment on certain businesses. But hey, what do I know, I’m just an eternal optimist.

I could see how apprehensive they would be with new people...I have seen the same thing and the reaction should reflect how serious it is. This all happens at all ranges that I have been to.

I am a member. I handle weapons as I should and do not warrant that same attitude. If you are not happy with your job then don't do it. I have seen the young ladies that work behind the counter deal with the same crap and ALWAYS have a good attitude and are nice.

I get it, people have a bad day. I have bad days. Having a bad day at work and taking it out on a client reflects in my paycheck.

relco86

Aug 6, 2011
    Moco
    my issue with gilberts are the living social crowds who show up

Anyone know if Mr Gilbert is still having issues getting his license to sell firearms from the county/state?

BTW Mr. Gilbert is a very stand up guy and has done alot for a good buddy of mine, tho i dont always like the clientele there, they do provide free range usage to vets/cops if im not mistaken and discounted ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom