• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    So here's a question for the c&r veterans on the board...

Most of us with a c&r know the usual sites to find some of the typical items...you know, milsurps, makarovs, toks, etc. But what about other firearms that are 50+ yrs old? What about pre-1960 revolvers, semis, etc? Anyone have any luck with dealers stocking those kind of guns? There seem to be plenty of guns that would qualify as c&r listed on GB but they aren't found listed under C&R. As I'm always looking for more ways to exercise the c&r, it seems like this might be something to look into. Any thoughts?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    bbguns said:
    So here's a question for the c&r veterans on the board...

Most of us with a c&r know the usual sites to find some of the typical items...you know, milsurps, makarovs, toks, etc. But what about other firearms that are 50+ yrs old? What about pre-1960 revolvers, semis, etc? Anyone have any luck with dealers stocking those kind of guns? There seem to be plenty of guns that would qualify as c&r listed on GB but they aren't found listed under C&R. As I'm always looking for more ways to exercise the c&r, it seems like this might be something to look into. Any thoughts?

Anything made in 1961 or before is now C&R. Anything.

bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    So my question is does anyone know of some good sources to find non-milsurp c&r guns? I'm looking for some dealers who are known to regularly and easily transfer pre-61 firearms as c&r. I have tried a few on GB but those contacted didn't seem interested in going this route for whatever reason...

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    bbguns said:
    So my question is does anyone know of some good sources to find non-milsurp c&r guns? I'm looking for some dealers who are known to regularly and easily transfer pre-61 firearms as c&r. I have tried a few on GB but those contacted didn't seem interested in going this route for whatever reason...

There are many on GB. Pull up by category all the C&R listings and go through them. Also watch Southern Ohio Gun, they have non-surplus C&R's.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I have bought several C&R guns from GunBroker. My favorites are vintage American shotguns, if I know the gun is more than 50 years old I will contact the seller before I bid to make sure they accept a C&R, most will. If a seller states they won't accept C&R in the auction I won't even bother with them.
    Here are pics of a couple shotguns I purchased with my C&R.
    DSCN0865.jpg

Winchester Model 12 Trap

DSCN0840.jpg

Remington Model 31TC

DSCN0825.jpg

Winchester Model 97

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    GB has produced some winners - 3" S&W 36 & 37, early Detective Spl, Remington 51. There's pretty much national scope, so you are more likely to find just what you're looking for.

Most of the stuff I like best was made before 1961 anyway.

I've had some luck trolling local shops, but the C&R does me no good there; still stuck with MSP and MD sales tax. Much more satisfying to hear a heavy "thunk" on the porch from the Big Brown Truck.

bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    What got me on this topic was an interaction I had with a GB dealer. He had 2 pre-1960 Smiths (based on this s/n) listed but not as c&r. When I contacted him to see if he'd send them to a c&r holder, he said no despite the fact that I was able to show him how those pistols qualified. So I started wondering if anyone had any info about dealers ( out of state, obviously) who were more in touch with the law.

I've had pretty good success with items on GB that were already listed in the c&r section but have found quite a few that weren't and looked pretty good...

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    bbguns said:
    What got me on this topic was an interaction I had with a GB dealer. He had 2 pre-1960 Smiths (based on this s/n) listed but not as c&r. When I contacted him to see if he'd send them to a c&r holder, he said no despite the fact that I was able to show him how those pistols qualified. So I started wondering if anyone had any info about dealers ( out of state, obviously) who were more in touch with the law.

I've had pretty good success with items on GB that were already listed in the c&r section but have found quite a few that weren't and looked pretty good...

I taught a local dealer that they could, and how to take a C&R for a purchase. At shows I've actually encountered vendors who were eager to take them, some give discounts out there.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Yeah i get that sometimes. Even though you can prove they are legal to ship that way they dont want to. To those guys i give them the big middle finger and move on. I have watched someof their actions end with no bids and have messaged them back and said ready yet? But of course i dont get a reply.:lol2:

Most of the sellers on GB either already know what can be C&R or if you prove it to them they are willing to ship to you. there is just Some Bad apples.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Oldcarjunkie said:
    Yeah i get that sometimes. Even though you can prove they are legal to ship that way they dont want to. To those guys i give them the big middle finger and move on. I have watched someof their actions end with no bids and have messaged them back and said ready yet? But of course i dont get a reply.:lol2:

Most of the sellers on GB either already know what can be C&R or if you prove it to them they are willing to ship to you. there is just Some Bad apples.

Sometimes we get treated like 2nd class FFL's, sometimes like gun buyer royalty. All part of the journey of collecting.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you're searching just for C&R marked firearms on GB you may not find everything you are looking for. A lot of people and even dealers are ignorant of C&R or simply don't mark eligible firearms that way. Then there are the ones that don't want to sell to an FFL03 in any case. If you want a pre-sixties pistol you might want to search on a model number instead particularly if it stopped being made before or after 61,62. Also, contact the seller and ask him the date, if he knows it for potential C&R firearms or ask for the S/N so you can determine it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom