• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I did some searching and found some other posts mentioning Blackthorne but I figured it wouldn't hurt to start another thread to warn potential buyers and save them from my fate.

I purchased my Blackthorne M4 kit about 6 months ago without doing any research or reading any reviews. I was in Afghanistan when I first saw their ad in the back of a Shotgun News and when I redeployed to another overseas post I ordered their kit online before coming home on leave.

Long story short, my experience has been nothing short of a nightmare! Virtually every single part of the kit is out of spec, doesn't fit, or malfunctions in some way:

*Rear flip sight improperly machined and didn't fit rail
    *Bad sear, caused gun to fire when pressing AND releasing trigger
    *M4 buttstock out of spec, had to be filed down to clear T-handle
    *Front sight/gas block misaligned, can't be sighted in (full left windage and still not enough)
    *(Deal Breaker) Chamber is too tight around the case neck and rounds get stuck in the chamber. Bore/chamber are chrome lined so it doesn't sound good for finish reaming

Got the lower and stock squared away but at this point I don't even know if the upper is worth replacing the barrel on. I'll probably just have to buy another upper from a reputable source. Worst part is their return policy is only a three day inspection period. Unless you can get your kit out together and out to the range to test in 3 days then you're SOL.

Costly mistake but lesson learned! Next time I'll do my research before hand.

REVIEW REVIEW review Blackthorne AKPARTSKITS Blackthorne Products sucks reviews problem problems scam fraud blackthorne blackthorne blackthorne blackthorne ar15 m4 m16 ar15 blackthorne review reviews blackthorne problems

Last edited:

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Unfortunately, I bought the parts kit before I joined this board or any shooting related board for that matter. I had only handled M16s/M4s in military and LE environments (Colt and FN) and it didn't even occur to me at that time that a rifle could even be that out of spec. I somehow thought that I would get the parts that I had been using for years and I'd just slap everything together and be on my way. It wasn't until after receiving the kit that I did some searching online and found all the bad reviews.

I'm just amazed at how bad it is though. I could understand maybe one or two small issues with the kit but I never expected to have pretty much everything screwed up.

I wouldn't sell or trade the gun in the condition it's in without full disclosure. Factoring in the MD wait time and hassle of transferring another lower I might as well just pick up another upper at some point since I have the lower pretty much sorted.

I'll just keep the junk upper around to either be rebarreled for a future project or just keep for spare parts.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Ive only heard bad things and that they trace their lineage back to Hesse

OUCH!!!!! Hesse. A bad word when used with any firearm platform.

BTW, for the rookies out their, Hesse also went by the name "Vulcan" at one point. They made FAL receivers at that point. Maybe 1 out of 20 worked.

JnstemIII

Feb 23, 2011
    Oldtown, MD
    Thanks for the info. Thats why i always triple check before i buy anything. How can they sell it if its that out of wack? They must not have any morels.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    I've recently bought stuff from Blackthorne and had wonderful experiences....some of the Galil parts they carry cannot be found anywhere else in the US.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Just received my new upper from Model 1 Sales. Right out of the box the fit and finish was noticeably better and it was packaged much nicer. Chamber looks to be in spec and the front sight block is properly aligned, hopefully I'll get to try it out next week sometime.

Looking at the chamber of the Crapthorne barrel I noticed that the chamber steps down in size ever so slightly just before the neck. Just a guess, but it appears that it was never finish reamed: The barrel was made, short chambered, then finish reaming was skipped and it went right off to the chrome plating.

I know that chrome bores are supposed to be almost impossible to ream but does anyone know if it is possible to finish ream a chrome chamber just enough to get rid of a slight, 1/100th" bottleneck in the chamber?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you bought the kit with a credit card, you might consider checking to see if your credit card has an extended warranty policy that might cover this.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    +1 For Model 1 Sales. Got 2 parts kits from them yrs ago and everything went together perfectly. My brother's A2, built on one of those kits, is the most accurate stock AR I've ever shot, great barrel on that one.

jswagga90

maryland
    Nov 24, 2011
    Must of had bad luck i have a blackthorne 20 inch a3 ar and it has no problems and all the parts are quality lar upper wilson barrel bolt and carrier dpms lower parts kit and i believe its tapco furniture bit gun works great

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I know that chrome bores are supposed to be almost impossible to ream but does anyone know if it is possible to finish ream a chrome chamber just enough to get rid of a slight, 1/100th" bottleneck in the chamber?

Yes - IF you get one of Ned Christiansen's reamers. It was specifically designed to handle undersized chrome lined chambers.

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php
    (note for the cost of the reamer you could buy a chrome lined Bushmaster barrel).

Last edited:

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Unfortunately, I bought the parts kit before I joined this board or any shooting related board for that matter. I had only handled M16s/M4s in military and LE environments (Colt and FN) and it didn't even occur to me at that time that a rifle could even be that out of spec. I somehow thought that I would get the parts that I had been using for years and I'd just slap everything together and be on my way. It wasn't until after receiving the kit that I did some searching online and found all the bad reviews.

I'm just amazed at how bad it is though. I could understand maybe one or two small issues with the kit but I never expected to have pretty much everything screwed up.

I wouldn't sell or trade the gun in the condition it's in without full disclosure. Factoring in the MD wait time and hassle of transferring another lower I might as well just pick up another upper at some point since I have the lower pretty much sorted.

I'll just keep the junk upper around to either be rebarreled for a future project or just keep for spare parts.

Why don't you drop it off at Scott's and let Clandestine take a stab at it. It may not be as bad as you think.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Why don't you drop it off at Scott's and let Clandestine take a stab at it. It may not be as bad as you think.

That on the face doesn't sound like a bad idea, Clandestine would be able to straighten it out, but I'm pretty sure right now he has a few weeks of work to get thru first. If nothing else he'd be a great source to consult with if you want to hang on to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom