• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ukrainian might

Feb 26, 2021
    This is an odd question but are there any modern sporting rifles chambered in 54r? Something like a Remington 700, not like a psl or zastava ak type rifle

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Modern Sporting Rifle already has a different common usage .

Perhaps * current or recently mfg bolt action rifle of post 1897 design , intended for largely sporting applications , chambered for 7.62 x 54R * would describe what you seek ?

Never say never . But I can say with reasonable certainty - Probably not currently available from a large or medium- ish USA mfg , nor imported any of the usual importation and distribution channels .

But what if you WANT such a rifle on purpose ? Don't dispare . Do as has long been common for Wildcats , and certain factory calibers that had small production runs in the day , but were ahead of their time , and are in more demand now , than when they were standard offerings. -
    Re Barell . E.R. Shaw offers OEM quality bbls at very reasonable cost , including installation for very reasonable . You could do that to say , an older used Savage M110 for total investment favorably comparable to many new mfg rifles .

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Attachments

• 4086E93F-8018-4509-B39A-799AA766BB62.jpg
      4086E93F-8018-4509-B39A-799AA766BB62.jpg
      78.3 KB · Views: 418

Ukrainian might

Feb 26, 2021
    Modern Sporting Rifle already has a different common usage .

Perhaps * current or recently mfg bolt action rifle of post 1897 design , intended for largely sporting applications , chambered for 7.62 x 54R * would describe what you seek ?

Never say never . But I can say with reasonable certainty - Probably not currently available from a large or medium- ish USA mfg , nor imported any of the usual importation and distribution channels .

But what if you WANT such a rifle on purpose ? Don't dispare . Do as has long been common for Wildcats , and certain factory calibers that had small production runs in the day , but were ahead of their time , and are in more demand now , than when they were standard offerings. -
    Re Barell . E.R. Shaw offers OEM quality bbls at very reasonable cost , including installation for very reasonable . You could do that to say , an older used Savage M110 for total investment favorably comparable to many new mfg rifles .

I figured it was very unlikely they'd be in America but I was just curious

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just from the numbers and probabilities , Mauser pattern were made for the Central Europe market , where 54R was regionally popular . May have been some WWII bringbacks . But there was never enough demand here to be imported in commercial quanities .

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you want a sporting rifle in a 7.62x54R class cartridge, you're looking for a Remington/Savage/Ruger etc. in .30-06. That's sort of my point.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    There was ,some years ago, an eastern European if I'm not mistaken,entry level double rifle that was being sold in 7.62x54 as well as other popular chamberings like 06 and maybe even a magnum caliber I seem to remember.
    I think I may have an old guns magazine periodical somewhere with an example in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom