• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I am a new clays shooter and am looking at getting my first gun. I have have been renting or borrowing shotguns up until now.

I have shot mostly Berettas and Caesar Guarinis up to this point and they both fit me well. I have seriously considered spending the money on a Fabarms RS12(fits just like a CG) or going with a Silver Pigeon.

I have an opportunity to buy a Beretta 682 with a single trap barrel and a double sporting barrel for less than $2000. Is this a good starter gun?

I really don't want to grow out of it too soon or lose interest because my gun sucks. Everything I have read says these are solid guns and a good value.

Interested in everyone's thoughts on this..

BTW the Fabarms is like butter. But $4300 is a lot if money. If it was $3000 I'd buy it right now.

Thanks for any input

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    All. That. Matters. Is. That. It. FITS YOU.

After that it’s just a matter of (NOT over thinking it and) matching muzzle speed to target speed, out in front.

Best o’ success.

(If that 682 is in 100% working order - looks only matter with girls and dogs - it’s a helluva deal, IMO)

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    All. That. Matters. Is. That. It. FITS YOU.

After that it’s just a matter of (NOT over thinking it and) matching muzzle speed to target speed, out in front.

Best o’ success.

(If that 682 is in 100% working order - looks only matter with girls and dogs - it’s a helluva deal, IMO)

Thanks. The Berettas I have shot fit me, though not as well as the Fabarms. But I have never even seen a 682 so I have no real frame of reference. It is attractive because I know I can get my money back if it does not work out

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Buy the Fabarms so I can buy the 682! I own 2 682’s. I’ve been shooting them for 20 years. If you have any concerns about the condition of the gun I would be more than happy to discuss what to look for with you. The 682 is a very good competition gun from a value standpoint. The gun can be rebuilt 3 times. It takes 10’s of thousands of rounds to need a rebuild. It gets confusing, but the 682, 686, 687, Silver Pigeon, Onyx, etc. are all basically the same gun/action. The 682’s are an older version. Send me a PM and I’d be happy to discuss any concerns you may have about the gun.

If you do choose not to buy the 682 for whatever reason I would definitely be interested in looking at it. I can PM you my info to pass along to the owner. I look forward to hearing from you either way.

Inka

Apr 25, 2010
    682s are very reliable and durable guns. Rich Cole (Cole's Gunshop) has done some good videos on the 682/692/694 evolutions. Interesting what he has to say from a gunsmith's point of view. Bottom line is the 682 was designed built a hellava lot better than a 692

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Bought my first Beretta in 1994, a Beretta 682 Super Trap. Shot thousands and thousands of rounds out of it when I was shooting trap in the 90s and had zero problems. I still have it and shoot it occasionally, but nowhere near as much as I did during the 90s. The 682 has replaceable barrel shoulders. In 2001 I bought a 682 Gold. You will have to shoot a small fortune worth of ammo out of the gun before you wear it out. Next "upgrade" from a 682 is the newer 692/694 which isn't all that much of an upgrade, and then the $10,000+ DT-11 that I have been hemming and hawing over for 2 years now.

Beyond the 682, 692, 694, DT-10, and DT-11, all you are looking at is mostly cosmetics at that point. Paying for fancy engraving work without much more, if any, functionality.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    The 682 has always been a "work horse" so many going strong today from introduction back in the 80's. I just had a 682 tuned up by Coles in Maine after 175,000 rounds. If you keep them greased well they go beyond normal tune up, the original locking lug bolt is number "0 replaced with # "1" to tighten up the barrels and locking lug. I've heard of 682 going over 250,000 rounds with 2/3 rebuild/tune ups.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    My 682 Gold "Greystone" is one of my favorites; it has an upgraded Cole stock and (lighter) 30" Optima Sporting barrels. I also have a set of 32" Sporting barrels for it, but they make it feel barrel heavy and sluggish. With the 30" barrels its money!

CzilITo.jpg

I hate to be that guy but a little more info is needed. What will you be shooting? If the stock and barrels are set up for trap and you're shooting skeet or sporting clays then its not a good choice (and vice versa). Many 682's have been mixed and matched over the years (like mine) so make sure its configuration matches your end use.

For a couple hundred bucks more I'd suggest looking at a Beretta Onyx Pro or Rizzini BR110. I got to see the Fabarms up close at Orvis Hill Country and yeah, they're really nice.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    To further elucidate, I bought this sweet 682x for cheap thinking it would make a great "parallel" sporting clays gun. Well I should have known better, its a trap gun and shot way high so wasn't suited to my needs (skeet/SC). Similarly, my 682 w/ Sporting stock and barrels wouldn't be the best choice for a dedicated trap gun.

PcTI25i.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom