• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm going to build a thing I can hang deer up on to season the meat outside. I'll only use it after the weather cools down and the outside temps are around 40 degrees or under. I'll probably stand it up in my backyard but may try to put it up in my garage but I don't think it'll fit. I'll put hooks under the top board to hang the triangle things (can't remember what they're called).

I'm using a six foot long 4x4 for the top and two 10 foot 4x4s on the sides. I'll use some 2x4s to keep it upright (kinda like feet) and put another 2x4 across the bottom to brace it.

Thoughts. :)

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I just made a scaled up version of a rural mailbox post, stuck it in the ground, added an eyelet, a pulley and a boat trailer hand winch. Used it to hang, skin, and quarter deer.
    I’d be a bit worried about critters getting to it if left outside to age. My garage is easily 10+ degrees warmer than outside so check that

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I just made a scaled up version of a rural mailbox post, stuck it in the ground, added an eyelet, a pulley and a boat trailer hand winch. Used it to hang, skin, and quarter deer.
    I’d be a bit worried about critters getting to it if left outside to age. My garage is easily 10+ degrees warmer than outside so check that

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    An old swing set works well, people are always trying to get rid of them for free.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I have two old meat hooks hung from chains around the rafter beams in my shed. Works perfectly. Off season, I just flip the chains up and out of the way. When I have something to hang I just bear hug it and lift the hind legs up to hook level. It's all I've ever needed.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    An old swing set works well, people are always trying to get rid of them for free.

This was what I used at the old house. Now I just have eye bolts and pulleys in a giant oak tree. Conveniently placed close enough to the driveway to skin em with the truck

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have a spot in my garage with pullies where I skin them when guarter them and cut up on a plastic covered cable.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I set this up at my FIL’s hunting camp last year. Either run out an extension cord, or hook it up to a generator.
    It’s just a cheap winch from HF, and a piece of pipe anchored to the tree. Works awesome.

Attachments

• FC17D1AB-31D8-4B75-B4C2-D2CA4BE0F479.jpg
      FC17D1AB-31D8-4B75-B4C2-D2CA4BE0F479.jpg
      99.5 KB · Views: 251

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    CoolBot

The problem around here is when its only 40 during the day, it freezes at night.
    Meat takes a lot longer to age when its too cold.

I bought a thing called CoolBot. Its a control that connects to a window air conditioner and keeps it cooling almost constantly.
    I cut a rectangle hole in my shed wall and installed the air conditioner. When it's too cold out the air conditioner coils will freeze up, ice over and no air will move through it.
    When the coils ice over the CoolBot will turn off the compressor, the fan keeps running, in about 20 or 30 seconds the coils thaw out, the compressor comes back on. It gets me 10 or 20 degrees colder than outside but if I better insulated my shed and the concrete floor it would probably drop the room 30 degrees maybe more. The bigger the A/C, more insulation and smaller the room the better. My A/C is 12,000 btu, the shed is 8x12 and I put a curtain across to make the cooling area smaller.
    Klein Tools makes a little block and tackle for stretching electric wires/cables. It's made well and much better than the cheap ones places sell for deer.
    I use to butcher about 30 deer a year and we'd have deer hanging in my shed almost constantly from September till first week of February. Used the A/C till Thanksgiving then a heater after December.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The problem around here is when its only 40 during the day, it freezes at night.
    Meat takes a lot longer to age when its too cold.

I bought a thing called CoolBot. Its a control that connects to a window air conditioner and keeps it cooling almost constantly.
    I cut a rectangle hole in my shed wall and installed the air conditioner. When it's too cold out the air conditioner coils will freeze up, ice over and no air will move through it.
    When the coils ice over the CoolBot will turn off the compressor, the fan keeps running, in about 20 or 30 seconds the coils thaw out, the compressor comes back on. It gets me 10 or 20 degrees colder than outside but if I better insulated my shed and the concrete floor it would probably drop the room 30 degrees maybe more. The bigger the A/C, more insulation and smaller the room the better. My A/C is 12,000 btu, the shed is 8x12 and I put a curtain across to make the cooling area smaller.
    Klein Tools makes a little block and tackle for stretching electric wires/cables. It's made well and much better than the cheap ones places sell for deer.
    I use to butcher about 30 deer a year and we'd have deer hanging in my shed almost constantly from September till first week of February. Used the A/C till Thanksgiving then a heater after December.

Ill second coolbot

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I’ve never had a place to let my deer “age”.
    I’ve always at least quartered up my deer the same day I harvested them. Then put them in a spare refrigerator. Most of the time, the next day or 2 I cut/grind everything and either freeze wrap, or vacuum seal everything.
    I’ve never been comfortable letting deer hang around here, as the temperatures change so much/fast. With that said, I might just have to check out coolbot

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’ve never had a place to let my deer “age”.
    I’ve always at least quartered up my deer the same day I harvested them. Then put them in a spare refrigerator. Most of the time, the next day or 2 I cut/grind everything and either freeze wrap, or vacuum seal everything.
    I’ve never been comfortable letting deer hang around here, as the temperatures change so much/fast. With that said, I might just have to check out coolbot

My butcher ages mine.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My butcher ages mine.

You know, last year was the 1st time I ever took a deer to a processor. A childhood friend works at one, and I took a deer there. I was so impressed, I took a few more there after that!
    Honestly, we will probably take most of the deer we harvest this year there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You know, last year was the 1st time I ever took a deer to a processor. A childhood friend works at one, and I took a deer there. I was so impressed, I took a few more there after that!
    Honestly, we will probably take most of the deer we harvest this year there.

I would love to be set up to do my own prcessing(like archeryrob) but I just don't have the room.

What's nice is, I can donate there to FHFH too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom