Why is my sale of a used 870 stock going nuts on ebay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Not that I'm unhappy....just confused

Can someone explain why my eBay auction for a used stock and forend off an old Remington 870 is now over $100?

What am I missing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193696821463

I figured $30 and I'd be happy. Hell I had it listed in the classified here on MDS for 3 weeks without a nibble at $30. I put it on eBay and it's in triple digits.

I only paid $300 for the whole shotgun 2 years ago. I paid $50 for the Hogue stock I replaced it with.

This stock isn't new. It shows signs of wear. The forend is discolored where you hold it.

Why do multiple people want to spend over $100 on this used furniture for a fairly basic shotgun? There are 15 separate bidders. I am dumbfounded.

Here is a similar auction with the mounting bolt missing...it's only up to $20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-...385665?hash=item23e2877d81:g:CD8AAOSwy0VffOFP

I'd like to make sure I haven't misrepresented something that is going to end up disappointing a buyer. But I can't imagine what that might be.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    For some inexplicable reason anything “870” related (heck, or “pump action” for that matter) wipes peoples hard drives clean and induces them to “catchup with the Jones” (a glimpse into why the stock market is what it is at present, I sorta fear ...)

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Had a used CAA pistol grip sell for over $50 and $10 shipping. Felt bad for the winner. I said it retails under $30 and available everywhere including Walmart in the description. Congratulations

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    LOL thx I'll list mine after yours closes

Start your listing at 9pm tomorrow. That's when mine ends.

But there are other 870 stocks out there that aren't selling for hardly anything. I might have just got dumb lucky

Also I do a lot of eBaying in spurts (selling a crap ton of stuff right now because I'm moving). I have found that ending auctions on Sunday night is the best option because just about everyone is home to fuss with ebay on Sunday night. I do a 7pm close time for things that have local Eastern time zone interest (Like an Orioles thing) and 9pm for stuff that might have national interest. It's worked out great for me to maximize the chances of 2 bidders being online to get carried away at the end.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I figured $30 and I'd be happy. Hell I had it listed in the classified here on MDS for 3 weeks without a nibble at $30. I put it on eBay and it's in triple digits.

I almost bought that when it was in the classifieds to put on a ex-LE trade in 870 I bought a while back. I decided to leave mine with some 'character' since it wasn't bought to be admired anyway.

Happy for you that you'll make 3x as much just because I was too lazy to swap mine out. :D

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I almost bought that when it was in the classifieds to put on a ex-LE trade in 870 I bought a while back. I decided to leave mine with some 'character' since it wasn't bought to be admired anyway.

Happy for you that you'll make 3x as much just because I was too lazy to swap mine out. :D

I am also happy you are lazy!

The funny part is the stock I'm selling has 'character'! It's not brand new. I even make that clear in the auction listing. People are strange.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Up to $112.50 now

I am baffled.

I keep checking the auction description to make sure I didn't accidentally say "made of walnut wood" or "made of solid gold" or "gives blow jobs"

Just make sure you're not the one being scammed.

"I could only get a bank check for $500, could you send the $3xx change back to me together with the item?" :sad20:

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Just make sure you're not the one being scammed.

"I could only get a bank check for $500, could you send the $3xx change back to me together with the item?" :sad20:

People try that nonsense with me all the time on Craigslist

I don't even engage. What is more disconcerting is the number of people on Craigslist who are super gung ho about an item until I say "meet me in my office lobby where there are 3 camera outside the security office with people watching" and then I never hear from them again

With eBay at least it's PayPal required when auction ends.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Bids do seem high to me, but you never know what will happen when two or more bidders decide they really want something.

One thing that strikes me is that "all" 17 bids for you stock are from private bidders (private listing - bidders' identities protected).

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Bids do seem high to me, but you never know what will happen when two or more bidders decide they really want something.

One thing that strikes me is that "all" 17 bids for you stock are from private bidders (private listing - bidders' identities protected).

It's only private to you as an outsider. I can see who the bidders are.

It's because the listing is set up as private, not because the bidders choose to be

Private listings are the new eBay default for some reason

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I'd guess folks are currently enamored with the old school "retro" look, and your lumber would help get them there. I'll be listing an older "retro" Choate stock & forearm for an 1100 this evening, the one with the pistol grip a'la Benelli M1.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I'd guess folks are currently enamored with the old school "retro" look, and your lumber would help get them there. I'll be listing an older "retro" Choate stock & forearm for an 1100 this evening, the one with the pistol grip a'la Benelli M1.

Dang! I should have put "Vintage" or "retro" in the auction title! It would be up to $300 by now from some hipster new gun owners bidding! hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom