• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    What says everybody?

Ive been out multiple times checking bedding spots I always find racks in and haven't stumbled across a thing yet.

Last night I saw a buck carrying both sides still and wondering if the mild winter has them easing through and will lead to a late drop?

DeathBeforeDishonor

Wildlife Consultant
    Jan 14, 2017
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I walked this past Saturday for literally 20 minutes and found two five point sides, different deer. People I know have been finding them almost every day now for the last 10 days. Maybe you've bumped them out of that bedding area from walking it too many times too soon?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I went looking on Monday and didn't find anything except a complete skull with six point antlers attached (pretty cool!). It was perfectly sun/bug bleached, so I think it must have been from a hunted deer or a coyote kill at least a year ago because of how white and clean it is. Rodents had chewed up some of the antler points but it was still neat looking enough to take home.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Don’t forget DNr’s new policy regarding possession tags for complete skulls.
    They want you to give them a call when you pick one up now.
    Apparently removing dead heads contributes to calcium deficiencies on the forest floor while creating eco- catastrophes at the same time.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    I had no idea what to expect when entering this thread. And after reading the posts i am still unsure.

DeathBeforeDishonor

Wildlife Consultant
    Jan 14, 2017
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Apparently removing dead heads contributes to calcium deficiencies on the forest floor while creating eco- catastrophes at the same time.

I'm surprised there isn't a registration fee for each skull you plan on keeping in Maryland, but maybe depending on the age you'll get lucky and be able to grandfather them in?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'm surprised there isn't a registration fee for each skull you plan on keeping in Maryland, but maybe depending on the age you'll get lucky and be able to grandfather them in?

Could depend on distinguishing features like split brows and G1's you have to register but spikes and flat-heads are GTG if they've been on the ground for more than one year before the regs took effect.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    My 5 year old daughter has agreed to go shed hunting with me, instead of deer hunting. It’s a step in the right direction. I walked 2 hours last week and found nothing. When I pick my kids up from daycare we cruise around to a few spots where I know we can see deer. Most are still holding. Hoping Sunday morning we’ll walk and maybe have some luck. I’m going to the shore Saturday to a few of my properties to do some work, hopefully I can squeeze in an hour or 2 to walk around.

Attachments

• 18D45BD2-DED4-4183-AD94-8ABCF7F1758B.jpg
      18D45BD2-DED4-4183-AD94-8ABCF7F1758B.jpg
      71.7 KB · Views: 398

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One of my favorite spots to shed hunt are wheat fields, as long as the growth is short. Binoculars will save a lot of walking, allowing you to cut the fields up into much wider quadrants.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    By this time last year I had picked half dozen, this year nothing and deer with antlers walking around. I'm wondering if the mild season has led to antlers staying longer.

Most of my finds are field edges and bedding spots in tree in the middle of fields. I started the thread after seeing no one else had since the 2019 thread, hopefully it's just a late turn this year, I enjoy finding sheds more than shooting at them

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My 5 year old daughter has agreed to go shed hunting with me, instead of deer hunting. It’s a step in the right direction. I walked 2 hours last week and found nothing. When I pick my kids up from daycare we cruise around to a few spots where I know we can see deer. Most are still holding. Hoping Sunday morning we’ll walk and maybe have some luck. I’m going to the shore Saturday to a few of my properties to do some work, hopefully I can squeeze in an hour or 2 to walk around.

Haha nice picture looks like she has it all scoped out! It would be great for the young one to pick one up.

Maybe if you are hunting close to where Im at one could (ahem) appear like an Easter egg hunt if I could get it to you somehow.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Still holding on Beach Drive between Grovesnor and Strathmore.
    Why not make that shed catcher, the V- shaped thing with a little corn inside?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Do you have a link for this? If so could you post it please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom