• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The other way around.

Altria Group and Nikon stated over a month ago that they would not sponsor the NRA.

Yeti piled in with them.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    well let's not hang them at high noon unless and until we know more. you can't fault a company for sponsoring the NRA and then stopping its sponsorship. things change, budgets change, etc. they shouldn't be treated worse by us from joining and then unjoining vs tons of other companies who have never donated/sponsored. now, if they said they didn't support the 2a etc that's another story. a little weird though as nikon seems to have amped up its rifle scope line with some pretty decent tactical scopes (fx1000 4-16 F1 and 6-24).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Time to chainsaw all my Nikons, just like they do their AR 15s.

Wouldn't it really suck to get shot in the foot by your own banned weapon?

Political correctness totally sucking fvcks!

Last edited:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    LMAO at an entity that makes cigarettes getting all politically correct.
    NRA should have perhaps boycotted them on that basis.

I have all Canon for cameras & all Leupold-Bushnell-Zeiss for optics.
    For firearms scopes, Nikon was always the Leupold wanna-be IMHO.
    Eff em.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    BassPro and Cabelas ought to pull a Dick's Sporting Goods and crush their Nikon inventory out on their respective parking lots.

I'd donate $100 to the NRA just to watch ...

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    I half wonder if Nikon was under pressure from Dick’s. Oh well, I look forward to their future announcement of selling off their scopes and hunting division.

As for Altria, I’ll assume the next version of the Marlboro Man will be wearing ass-less chaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Seems like all these companies are starting to chose sides. I personally think this is awesome, I definitely prefer to know who my enemies are so to speak and can spend my dollars with the like minded and avoid the anti douchebags. By all means let them continue to out them selves. Since Dick’s dick move their stock price has been almost cut in half so by all means keep em coming.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I only have 1 Nikon, and right now it's looking like the next contender for my recreating Gunny Sgt. Hathcock's 'Cobra' shot.

Maybe I'll finally make it thru an entire scope...

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I only have 1 Nikon, and right now it's looking like the next contender for my recreating Gunny Sgt. Hathcock's 'Cobra' shot.

Maybe I'll finally make it thru an entire scope...

Mythbusters had a hard time doing that, but I think they were too close. You've got to get some distance for the bullet to fully stabilize. I read in Hatcher's Notebook about penetration testing they did with the .30-06 into oak. I don't remember any of the numbers off hand, but it penetrated significantly farther at longer ranges than up close. The reasoning was that the bullet wobbles a little bit from the central axis of it's rotation at first and is more easily deflected into a tumble. Once it gets straightened out, all its mass is moving in exactly the same vector (see, I'm using fancy words, so it has to be true:innocent0) and gets driven in straighter and deeper (hmmm...now I'm just talkin' dirty!:o). I'll see if I can track down the actual numbers.

Good luck, and pics, of course, are expected :D

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    did nikon say why they're ending their relationship with the NRA? does anyone know why? so are all you guys going to boycott ford, chevy and chrysler, and toyota, nissan and honda. they're not supporting the NRA, right? how can nikon be worse off by starting and stopping, vs all those that never supported the NRA?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    did nikon say why they're ending their relationship with the NRA? does anyone know why? so are all you guys going to boycott ford, chevy and chrysler, and toyota, nissan and honda. they're not supporting the NRA, right? how can nikon be worse off by starting and stopping, vs all those that never supported the NRA?

Simple, a company who is a fair weather friend is no friend at all and doesn't deserve our money. And then there are companies that have not supported the NRA but support charity causes no problem, they at least are not the "run and hide" crew when the press gets tough but will take our money during good press times. Chris

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Mythbusters had a hard time doing that, but I think they were too close. You've got to get some distance for the bullet to fully stabilize. I read in Hatcher's Notebook about penetration testing they did with the .30-06 into oak. I don't remember any of the numbers off hand, but it penetrated significantly farther at longer ranges than up close. The reasoning was that the bullet wobbles a little bit from the central axis of it's rotation at first and is more easily deflected into a tumble. Once it gets straightened out, all its mass is moving in exactly the same vector (see, I'm using fancy words, so it has to be true:innocent0) and gets driven in straighter and deeper (hmmm...now I'm just talkin' dirty!:o). I'll see if I can track down the actual numbers.

Good luck, and pics, of course, are expected :D

I've posted pics elsewhere on the forum before, but I've attempted it multiple times now. 100, 200, and 300 yards. No luck so far, but I've used modern optics with much more glass in them than a Soviet PU scope, so the end results were as expected.

Even knowing the outcome, I still find it fun to try. Personal challenges that have no real merits and all that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom