• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Strongly considering one of these for a suppressed hunting rig. The ranch has me interested over the predator because in theory I could use scopes with a BDC. 16" ar, 16" rifle. Would work right?
    Anyone with experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    What will you be hunting? I'm not a hunter but .223 seems light for deer.

Heart, base of the head, or brain. I'm a meat hunter not trophies so I'm more concerned with not ruining meat than ruining a mount or rack.
    Varmint control as well, been living in NC a month now and a guy with a farm down here talks about getting me out to plug some 'yotes. Not even a hog moves when you place a .223 behind its ear. It's an accredited killer. But for anything else that's where the 300blk, slug, or bow comes out.

Plus I mentioned to my wife a new HUNTING rifle not a toy. Muuuuuuch easier to sell.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I assume for supersonic ammo? Only asking since you mentioned suppressed. .223 and suppressed means you need perfect shot placement to ensure a clean kill on something bigger than a varmit.

Also isn't NC a >.22 caliber rifle state for deer? Or did that change a few years ago? Md it has to be >1200lb-ft. Granted going off the box, a number of .223 hunting rounds are >1200lb-ft. In reality those are with 24" test barrels and a 16" barrel there likely isn't any loads, .223 or 5.56 that can generate over 1200ft-lbs. out of a 20" yes, but a 16" generates about 6-8% less energy.

Academic if NC doesn't care.

Also no, on the BDC. You are going to want to dial it in and test what each hash mark is. I am sure it is accurate enough for a deer sized target for the first couple of hashes. Usually a .223 BDC is dead on at 100 and then hashes/marks for 200, 300 and 400. Sometimes it is 200, 300, 400 and 500. You'd have to check the scope, but most .223 scopes with BDC scopes seem to be calibrated for a 55gr FMJ out of a 16" barrel. Something like a 64gr soft point is going to have a very different point of impact at 300yds. Maybe only 2" off or so at 300, but it might be 10" off by 400 and >20" off by 500.

They are all fine for anything within 300yds and deer sized targets, but frankly most regular loads zeroed to 200yds are also fine against deer sized targets within 300yds. My 64gr SP .223 loads zeroed at 200yds hit a max of about 2.4 inches high around 100, zero at 200 and only about 7-8" low at 300. Easy enough to know around 100 to aim a hair down and if it looks like it is pushing 300, aim a touch high.

>300 and you need a BDC with know calibration and a range finder or a ballistic calculator (or range finder and compensation turrets, or mil dots, or just really amazing skills or Kentucky windage)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I assume for supersonic ammo? Only asking since you mentioned suppressed. .223 and suppressed means you need perfect shot placement to ensure a clean kill on something bigger than a varmit.

Just because somebody wants to run a can on something, doesn't mean they are going to run subsonic ammo out of it. You can run supersonic ammo out of a can all day long and all you will hear is the supersonic crack (sonic boom) of the bullet traveling down range, but the actual gunshot will be muffled.

Watch this video, you will be able to see and hear the difference in supersonic ammo running unsuppressed and suppressed.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013

Also isn't NC a >.22 caliber rifle state for deer? Or did that change a few years ago? Md it has to be >1200lb-ft. Granted going off the box, a number of .223 hunting rounds are >1200lb-ft. In reality those are with 24" test barrels and a 16" barrel there likely isn't any loads, .223 or 5.56 that can generate over 1200ft-lbs. out of a 20" yes, but a 16" generates about 6-8% less energy.

Also no, on the BDC. You are going to want to dial it in and test what each hash mark is. I am sure it is accurate enough for a deer sized target for the first couple of hashes. Usually a .223 BDC is dead on at 100 and then hashes/marks for 200, 300 and 400. Sometimes it is 200, 300, 400 and 500. You'd have to check the scope, but most .223 scopes with BDC scopes seem to be calibrated for a 55gr FMJ out of a 16" barrel. Something like a 64gr soft point is going to have a very different point of impact at 300yds. Maybe only 2" off or so at 300, but it might be 10" off by 400 and >20" off by 500.

They are all fine for anything within 300yds and deer sized targets, but frankly most regular loads zeroed to 200yds are also fine against deer sized targets within 300yds. My 64gr SP .223 loads zeroed at 200yds hit a max of about 2.4 inches high around 100, zero at 200 and only about 7-8" low at 300. Easy enough to know around 100 to aim a hair down and if it looks like it is pushing 300, aim a touch high.

>300 and you need a BDC with know calibration and a range finder or a ballistic calculator (or range finder and compensation turrets, or mil dots, or just really amazing skills or Kentucky windage)

So, no. North Carolina has no caliber restriction on deer season. They even allow for rimfire which I wouldn't do
    Plenty of clean kills with my suppressed AR when I was using an ACOG on it too.
    I wouldn't shoot over two hundred yards on a deer with .223/5.56 rather my question with the BDC would be practical accuracy on steel with a standard 55 or 62gr that the scopes are typically calibrated with.
    In any event stick to the OP. This wasn't a thread as to the validity, and I am assured of it's dropping power, of the .223/5.56 on white tail.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Most of my post covered the OP.

Unless shooting at reasonably short ranges where you don't really need BDC, you need to calibrate your scope to your specific rifle and load anyway. Doesn't matter if they calibrated using a 16" barrel and xm193 federal. Yeah, it'll probably be stupid close out of your rifle, but xm855 isn't compared to xm193.

In the 400+ range, minor differences in BC of a round, muzzle velocity, etc add up to a large number of inches at the target. So you'd want to take your specific rifle, scope and round being used and actually shoot it at 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 (600 too if the NDC goes out to that) and note any specific adjustment.

If shooting on large plates, yes sticking with basically the setup used for the BDC from the manufacturer is probably going to get you on the plate.

PS DA, I know the difference. I was just asking cause it seems like half the people who ask silencer questions want or plan to use subsonic ammo. OP didn't seem like they were clueless, but assumption makes an...:-)

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Most of my post covered the OP.

Unless shooting at reasonably short ranges where you don't really need BDC, you need to calibrate your scope to your specific rifle and load anyway. Doesn't matter if they calibrated using a 16" barrel and xm193 federal. Yeah, it'll probably be stupid close out of your rifle, but xm855 isn't compared to xm193.

In the 400+ range, minor differences in BC of a round, muzzle velocity, etc add up to a large number of inches at the target. So you'd want to take your specific rifle, scope and round being used and actually shoot it at 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 (600 too if the NDC goes out to that) and note any specific adjustment.

If shooting on large plates, yes sticking with basically the setup used for the BDC from the manufacturer is probably going to get you on the plate.

PS DA, I know the difference. I was just asking cause it seems like half the people who ask silencer questions want or plan to use subsonic ammo. OP didn't seem like they were clueless, but assumption makes an...:-)

Thank you for your time and consideration in your responses. I'll probably stick to a 3-9 and I know my holds out to three hundred anyhow. Shots with this particular set up would be relegated to 100 yard high shoulder upper neck and head anyhow. Just didn't want to add another caliber, have a large bite for distance, and like to hunt a little more quietly for my ears. 30 cal can isn't in the foreseeable future

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The rifle itself, I've heard good things. Handled one, but haven't shot them. i just don't know that I'd go 16" specifically to match the BDC calibration of a scope. I'd go for it because I needed something lighter weight or handier. Personally I think a 20" is more of the sweet spot of the caliber.

I've been looking at a Mossberg predator 20" 5.56/.223. Might be on my list after a RAR in .22lr and a garand.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have pretty much what you are talking about. World suggest Mossberg that takes standard mags. Pic taken in Australia (not)

Attachments

• 20170425_174751.jpg
      20170425_174751.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 298

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Decent accuracy. Crappy overpriced mags. Already broke a MIM bolt part swapping handles. Really wish someone would come up with a magazine solution. Overall, a decent value and a fun setup. It's nice to not get a face full of gas when suppressed. 7/10 would buy again

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Logic would say that if he was going to try to slay Bambi, the only hunting ammo available on the commercial market is supersonic. ;)

But I do understand where you are coming from.

Next time you get into Fredneck County, drop me a line and we'll go grab a beer and BS for a little while. I know a few good microbreweries in the Frederick area. I even picked up an insulated growler from one of them. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Logic would say that if he was going to try to slay Bambi, the only hunting ammo available on the commercial market is supersonic. ;)

But I do understand where you are coming from.

Next time you get into Fredneck County, drop me a line and we'll go grab a beer and BS for a little while. I know a few good microbreweries in the Frederick area. I even picked up an insulated growler from one of them. :D

Deal! Even if I usually just brew my own beer :thumbsup:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

lol - at 300+, just keep shooting and pay attention to impact. Just kidding.

Best to have a range finder and know what your bullet drop is out to certain yardages. Anyway, we are talking about .223 here on deer, so long range is probably not in the discussion.

Another option with a BDC scope is to load rounds that mimic what the scope is set for. Takes a little more effort, but it can be done. I'd be more inclined to have the loads mimic the BDC at longer range, because at shorter range the different will be very minimal. That is what I am planning on doing once I get my Burris XTR II 1-8x and put it on my .223. Then, I'll go to the range and/or a farm and see exactly what it does out to specific yardages. However, it is a .223 and I am not planning on going out to 600 with it, but I'll try anyway just for giggles.

On another note, if you and DA get together for a shin dig, I'm crashing the party. DA has been talking about getting out and doing some shotgun shooting, so maybe we can take him down to PG Trap & Skeet and show him the ropes at sporting clays. Might as well start him off on the hardest thing possible to get his confidence right up there at zero. Tax season is over for me and I am starting to get caught up with work, so hurry up on that addition of yours. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom