• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    Where'd all the 54R spam cans go? Im getting low and need to replenish stock. Any clue when the next importation is?

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Where'd all the 54R spam cans go? Im getting low and need to replenish stock. Any clue when the next importation is?

It was gone for a while during the "panic", then came back and prices dropped back pretty close to what they were before. It was around for about a year, then is gone again.

I would assume there's still more than plenty overseas, but who knows what liberal BS might be keeping it from getting over here. It may have to do with the conflicts going on at the moment, or a combination of the two.

The days of .20 to .23 cent/round 54R surplus is gone, at least for now...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Here you go, best deal out there IMO

SOG has it for around 97 bucks a spam can. This is the only place I see it priced anywhere in this ballpark. Better jump on it if you really need it.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammunition-1/russian-7-62x54r-military-ammo.html

There is plenty around, but no one is going to stock it locally with the online pricing. Tons of it online, $95 to $140 or so. A lot around $115 these days. I pretty much ignore most of it that I see because my rifle is extra picky and only likes a few particular flavors.

25 cents/round at Buds http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ian+7.62x54R+147gr.+Full+Metal+Jacket,+20+RDS

30 at JandC http://www.jandcsales.com/762x54r.html

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I definitely wouldn't say there's "tons" of it anywhere near 95 a can. Most places are sold out, the ones that have it, most of them are the upper end of your price range. SOG is the only place I saw in stock sub $100

Most of the $100 range cans are gone. I think that price is soon a thing of the past

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I thought you meant 'real' spam. In that case, it's all in Hawaii. They've been hoarding the crap for years. They absolutely love the stuff!:lol2:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    A vendor had a few crates at the recent Gettysburg show.... sorry, didn't take note of who it was. If you don't find it elsewhere, pehaps it might be worth looking at the ones coming up in Harrisburg or York next month... I know, not a solid lead, but its all I got ;).

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I thought you meant 'real' spam. In that case, it's all in Hawaii. They've been hoarding the crap for years. They absolutely love the stuff!:lol2:

Vladimir says, "All your spams are now belong to me".

spam.jpg

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I definitely wouldn't say there's "tons" of it anywhere near 95 a can. Most places are sold out, the ones that have it, most of them are the upper end of your price range. SOG is the only place I saw in stock sub $100

Most of the $100 range cans are gone. I think that price is soon a thing of the past

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Agree with Toolness. SOG is the only place of which I know that still offers a can for under $100. I purchased a tin a few weeks ago and it was $116 shipped, which is a good $15 below what most stores are offering before shipping.

On another note, what's the story behind the Bulgarian "Circle 10" ammo? It's always more expensive than Russian silver tip. Is it supposed to be better? The first tin of 54R that I ever purchased was Bulgarian. I got it for $79.99 shipped from Palmetto State Armory. I think I've only seen it in stock a few times since then.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Agree with Toolness. SOG is the only place of which I know that still offers a can for under $100. I purchased a tin a few weeks ago and it was $116 shipped, which is a good $15 below what most stores are offering before shipping.

On another note, what's the story behind the Bulgarian "Circle 10" ammo? It's always more expensive than Russian silver tip. Is it supposed to be better? The first tin of 54R that I ever purchased was Bulgarian. I got it for $79.99 shipped from Palmetto State Armory. I think I've only seen it in stock a few times since then.

There's probably a gun for every batch of ammo. I think AIM has some 80's Bulgarian. Even a lot of sellers do not know the difference and any particular spam can may come from just about any eastern bloc source. I've been shocked at what I've received sometimes that was supposed to be "Russian" ... I've even seen Bulgarian sold as "Russian circle 10", duh

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

I have seen people mention on a lot of forum posts that they think the Bulgarian is better than the Russian.

I haven't tested them side by side, I think I do have a circle ten spam can sitting around. Most of mine are Russian and I've been very happy with all of it.

I know some people think the silver tipped stuff is better, when in all reality they just stopped painting the tips one year and it's still the exact same stuff.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I have seen people mention on a lot of forum posts that they think the Bulgarian is better than the Russian.

I haven't tested them side by side, I think I do have a circle ten spam can sitting around. Most of mine are Russian and I've been very happy with all of it.

I know some people think the silver tipped stuff is better, when in all reality they just stopped painting the tips one year and it's still the exact same stuff.

All of the surplus stuff that I've tried goes "boom" and sends a bullet a long ways in a short time. I think that there's probably a bigger variation in the quality of the individual rifle than in the ammo. Truth be told, I doubt that I'd ever use a M-N for more than plinking, so long as I've got K-31s, etc., to use when I need accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom