• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Can anyone tell me their thoughts on this shotgun? Was thinking of a Citori or a Guerini. Those are my preferences but wondering if this would be a good show for Trap and Skeet? This is .y first O/U

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Go for the CG. The red lable is ok, but in a class well below the CG. Citori is somewhere in between. If you can swing it buy the CG (buy once cry once). Buy it from Bart and have CG fit you. This service is well worth it.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Go for the CG. The red lable is ok, but in a class well below the CG. Citori is somewhere in between. If you can swing it buy the CG (buy once cry once). Buy it from Bart and have CG fit you. This service is well worth it.

Ya know, I really believe that is the right route. The only problem I have is if the CG is really the right SG for me. The money?....... yeah the prices are a bit stiff but not too big a problem. I like buying as close to the best of whatever as practical..... example, when I was a machinist I bought mostly Starrett & Mititoyo tools. Big diff, between $200. mics and a $4,000+ shotgun though.

Shot trap last year with the Mrs. at Loch Raven. A gentleman from here (I think his handle is Redcobra) was incredibly nice, met us there, let us try a couple of his guns and introduced us to Jack Bart. He showed me a couple CG's he had in his car. He had one gorgeous SG but it was $7k. Although I can afford it, I'm old, I have bad eyes and I won't shoot competition so thats a lot of money that sits around the house most of the time.

So, we have a lot of hobbies like fishing and steaming crabs in the summer. Would you still think I should Buy Once Cry Once given that I am not going to be using this at least once a week (could be.... also could be only a couple times a year).

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Call up jack bart, have him give you a lesson and demo the CG summit impact. Its not crazy expensive and has all the bells and whistles. Try it, and if its not for you, you aren't out anthing.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Call up jack bart, have him give you a lesson and demo the CG summit impact. Its not crazy expensive and has all the bells and whistles. Try it, and if its not for you, you aren't out anthing.

You know, I appreciate your advice and I'll give him a call or run down to his store. I figure I could at least give him the chance to sell me a CG. I generally buy my stuff at Clydes but the only one they had that I like was the Citori.

I just picked up a Beretta Silver Pigeon for the Mrs. for Xmas (which is the one she wanted) so I may as well buy the one I want :)

Thanks!

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    The CG's are fantastic shotguns for sure and would be a wonderful choice. I just had my first experience at Clydes and was very pleased. Left with a browning 725 sporting and couldn't be happier. I also visited Bart's to check out berettas and a couple CG's. Fantastic customer service and a great shop, just decided the browning was the best fit for me.

Best of luck with your choice and if we ever meet you're welcome to rip off some shells in the 725 to see if you like it.

Ryan

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I would not recommend the Ruger Red Label. I'd also recommend a Beretta 682 (used) or a new 68? Silver Pigeon. Check out Joel Etchen's website for the Beretta's. You can also check out the Beretta's at PG Trap and Skeet. You can even rent one to shoot. In order of preference:
    1. Beretta new/used
    2. Caesar Guerini
    3. Browning

If these are too much then I recommend a semi auto. They're getting pretty expensive nowadays too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks. I was thinking of buying something cheaper for now to see if we shoot a lot. If not a $4k SG is a waste. Than again the saying seems to be "buy one cry once"

I was looking at the Citori at Clydes as well. That would probably be my 2nd choice if money wasn't an option.

I'd prefer to have the Guerini Summit Ltd. but I have to figure at least another $1,500 over the Citori. Wonder if there is a place I could try shooting both?

I did just pickup a Beretta Silver Pigeon for the Mrs for Xmas. We'll see how she likes it. Maybe I'll try that as well before I buy anything.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    CG and Browning really aren't on the same level, fit and finish, furniture, customer service. Browning is mainly a production gun, CG (seems) to make and sell a lot less. Most will find that a CG (I've owned the Summite Ltd Sporting) mounts a tad high (looking down onto the rib) compared to a Browning target gun.

Trick really is to get out and shoot as many different guns a possible. It's very likely that you will (at minimum) completely count guns OUT during this process rather than fall in love with a particular make/model.

Schraders Outdoors lets people shoot CG's, not sure what models they have for trial, also not sure how far that would be for you.

Stalk some people at your local trap or skeet range. If you stand around long enough looking creepy, someone will invite you to shoot a round, more than likely shoot some with their gun.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    RedCobra say:
    Buy a CG. Call Jack. Tell him to bring a Sporter, an Impact and a Trap CG to LR for you to try. Then go to CG in Cambridge, get some Oysters and a crab cake, pick your model/trim/wood and let Andrew fit the gun to you. Jack will either take you down or meet you there and maybe even buy you that crab cake (although he is an Oyster lover).
    Buy once and don't cry. Enjoy!

ps: Berettas are nice and the new 725 is OK although I hate ported barrels.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    CG and Browning really aren't on the same level, fit and finish, furniture, customer service. Browning is mainly a production gun, CG (seems) to make and sell a lot less. Most will find that a CG (I've owned the Summite Ltd Sporting) mounts a tad high (looking down onto the rib) compared to a Browning target gun.

Trick really is to get out and shoot as many different guns a possible. It's very likely that you will (at minimum) completely count guns OUT during this process rather than fall in love with a particular make/model.

Schraders Outdoors lets people shoot CG's, not sure what models they have for trial, also not sure how far that would be for you.

Stalk some people at your local trap or skeet range. If you stand around long enough looking creepy, someone will invite you to shoot a round, more than likely shoot some with their gun.

It looks like Schraders is on the Eastern Shore past Centreville. Thats doable, about 60 miles. I'll see if the Mrs. wants to go over one day or maybe stay the night. I'll give a call and see what they can offer for what we are looking for. Not up for much of hanging around looking creepy :) Would like someone to fit that Silver Pigeon to her as well. Hope she'll be ok with 32" barrels..... she's not by any means a frail woman but she doesn't install manhole covers either.

There are several things about the CG that I really like, Fit & Finish, everything I read said its a great SG and the service is excellent, Guar. for life and they will fit the gun to me. The last is a big one for me. I don't know exactly what to look for. A gentleman on here took us out last year and we tried 2 or 3 of his and I definitely did not like the BT99, can't remember the other two now but neither jumped out as the prefect gun for me.

So your point is definitely valid about trying as many as possible. I make pool cues for a hobby and can tell you what I look for in a cue. But you never know if its right until you shoot with it. I bought quite a few over the years online that had what I wanted as far as weight, Ferrule material & Dia., Tip, balance and once I got them I didn't like them Meucci was too whippy, Lucasi just sucked in general, love Joss , etc... If I happen to be out and use one of the bar's cues I look for one with the best tip and not too heavy.... don't care if its bent like a banana. Guess I need to apply the same thought process to a SG. I'll take the Mrs. out with her SP and I'll drag along my old pump and maybe someone will take pity on me and let me try theirs.

Thanks again

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    RedCobra say:
    Buy a CG. Call Jack. Tell him to bring a Sporter, an Impact and a Trap CG to LR for you to try. Then go to CG in Cambridge, get some Oysters and a crab cake, pick your model/trim/wood and let Andrew fit the gun to you. Jack will either take you down or meet you there and maybe even buy you that crab cake (although he is an Oyster lover).
    Buy once and don't cry. Enjoy!

ps: Berettas are nice and the new 725 is OK although I hate ported barrels.

Thanks. I just mentioned you in the above post. You took me and my wife to LR last year and let us try a couple of yours.

I might try Schraders first, that way I can try a couple models..... that is if they have ones I am interested in. I will buy from Jack though if I go with CG. I like spending the money in town when I can.

I like Crab Cakes, love Soft Crabs, not a huge fan of oysters :)

roger8918

Nov 14, 2010
    If you like the Citori take a look at the Browning Crossover Target. GREAT gun for the money. Joel Etchen's has it for $1695.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I have sent people to Joel (had stock on things that were tough to find a few summers ago).

Very positive experience for them, highly recommended.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The Ruger Red Label will be just fine for shooting once in a while. If you shoot it once a month, it will probably take you a lifetime to wear it out unless you are shooting 1,000 rounds in a single day once a month. lol So, if you do not intend to shoot 10,000 rounds a year, or even 5,000 rounds a year, the Ruger Red Label will last you quite a while.

You just bought your wife a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon for Christmas. Why not try out her gun and see if you like the Beretta. The fit is about the same between guns unless you have the ones with adjustable stocks like my Beretta 682 Super Trap and Beretta 682 Gold E Skeet. I had to use the thinnest comb insert on the trap gun and I had to raise the comb on the skeet gun. Meanwhile, I shoot the 686 Onyx with a fixed stock just fine.

Looks like the 686 Silver Pigeon is Beretta's entry level clays o/u. So, give your wife's a try and see what you think. Then, five a Browning and a CG a try.

As far as being old and how much longer you are going to use the gun, a buddy of mine said the same thing to me a year or two ago about getting a Benelli SBE II. He was 53. My response, "If you have the money, who cares. There is no guarantee that we will see tomorrow. So, if the money isn't an issue, just buy the damn thing."

Now, if you could find something better to do with the money, then by all means do not spend it on a shotgun that might collect dust, or decide that if the shotgun is not used more than X times in any given year, it is going to be sold. Good thing is that you can get most of your money back for the gun as long as you don't beat the heck out of it.

By the way, for full disclosure I'm a Beretta fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom