• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Bought an ar10 so I feel like I should look at the m308 scopes? Originally I was thinking about another vortex pst, but I am seeing some deals on other scopes.

john

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    the M stands for monarch, upon which they're based. the PXXX line is based on the prostaff.

M308 is GTG if the specs it has are what you want. there's nothing that mandates its use just because that's the caliber you have, though, so if that's the only reason you're getting it.....

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I already have an m223 3-12 and the glass and turrets are great for the cash. I can say the same thing about the vortex. What caught my eye about the m308 is nikon is running the $100 instant savings and they include a mount which I would assume is decent.

Nick I would get a leupold but that would mean an mark4, and that's more then I am looking to spend right now.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    I have 1000's of rounds under multiple M-308 scopes. It's because I do some PR work for Nikon that I have this many rounds under my scopes. They have functioned flawlessly. I usually use the BDC 800 reticle because I never know what kind of ammo I will have access too. The bDC let's me use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to really dial in longrange shots. The better the info the more accurate your shots will be. Measuring appropriate scope height is also important, mid-scope to mid-more. Enter that with accurate MV and you are GTG !

In case you were not aware these scopes are currently under a PROMO Nikon is having right now. Pretty nice discount at check out when you buy from a participating dealer. I always get asked and I appreciate it, but I don't do any sales for Nikon. I suggest supporting those who support this site, everyone wins. Here's a pic of my 78 year old Father In-Law using the M-308 4-16 BDC 800 scopes on a AR and Bolt rifle.

dave2rifles.png

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have 1000's of rounds under multiple M-308 scopes. It's because I do some PR work for Nikon that I have this many rounds under my scopes. They have functioned flawlessly. I usually use the BDC 800 reticle because I never know what kind of ammo I will have access too. The bDC let's me use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to really dial in longrange shots. The better the info the more accurate your shots will be. Measuring appropriate scope height is also important, mid-scope to mid-more. Enter that with accurate MV and you are GTG !

In case you were not aware these scopes are currently under a PROMO Nikon is having right now. Pretty nice discount at check out when you buy from a participating dealer. I always get asked and I appreciate it, but I don't do any sales for Nikon. I suggest supporting those who support this site, everyone wins. Here's a pic of my 78 year old Father In-Law using the M-308 4-16 BDC 800 scopes on a AR and Bolt rifle.

dave2rifles.png

what does mid-more mean? I have one of these but haven't set it up yet. Hoping for the best.
    How long is the promo going on for? Do you have to buy direct or do stores have the deals?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Leupold, Leupold, Leupold, we get it. Yeah, they are excellent scopes. Great CS and hold value, own a few myself, used, but not everyone can afford them. I wish I could buy more but for the money Nikons are a good bang for the buck. Main problem I have with them is that the eye pieces are always so big I usually have to get high mounts. To get an AO on a Leupold you are always talking big money in my book. You can buy a Zeiss for a lot less than a Leupold with the same features.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    You can buy a Zeiss for a lot less than a Leupold with the same features.

Where?

I am a value shopper. I will compare prices, but features are always important. I choose the product with the greatest value to me not the cheapest or the most expensive.

The last few scopes I have bought are sightron sII (great glass, they dont get much attention though), nikon monarch, leupold ultimate slam, vortex viper,

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    ... nikon is running the $100 instant savings and they include a mount which I would assume is decent.

If its anything like their AR15 mount I wouldn't make that assumption. The design of those is flawed. The base is three parts. The center that holds the scope and the rail clamps on both sides. This allows the center part to move side to side (twist) on the rail as you tighten it down. The two side clamps do NOT hold it straight. Repeatability is non-existent. You'll have to bore sight it as you tighten them down so the scope doesn't run out of windage adjustment. If you reef down on the bolts enough if will stay put but a mount that has one half of the picatinny rail clamp machined as part of the main part (so it only has a moving clamp on one side) is a MUCH better design.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    If its anything like their AR15 mount I wouldn't make that assumption. The design of those is flawed. The base is three parts. The center that holds the scope and the rail clamps on both sides. This allows the center part to move side to side (twist) on the rail as you tighten it down. The two side clamps do NOT hold it straight. Repeatability is non-existent. You'll have to bore sight it as you tighten them down so the scope doesn't run out of windage adjustment. If you reef down on the bolts enough if will stay put but a mount that has one half of the picatinny rail clamp machined as part of the main part (so it only has a moving clamp on one side) is a MUCH better design.

I have found that tightening each screw a little at a time orks very well for keeping me on line. I am constantly swapping out scopes on different rifles and I have never had a scope come loose from a M-223 or M-308 AR Mount. I rarely use loctite just because of the constant scope swapping. I do understand what you are saying and I also would love to see a 2 piece 3 screw mount. Not having any problem's with this mount over the last 5 years is enough to give me the comfort that if I do the alternate screw tightening technique I will be just fine.

DSCN1285.jpg

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Learn something new everyday! I didn't realize this but Nikon now has the mount you are asking about, Dub. There is a 2 piece M-223 AR Mount, it does not have the 20 MOAbuilt into it, which is why the other M-223/M-308 Mounts have to be 3 pieces. I hope this helps ? Sorry I had no idea Nikon had this product.
    It slides down the rail then 2 screws lock it in place. $59 I believe.

Nikonm-223ARMount.png

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I don't have the luxury of a large scope budget, so I went for a SWFA 10x42 HD for my Rem 700 5R .308 It is a very nice scope, tough as nails, tracks true, and has exceptionally clear glass.
    5RDressed_as_zps3a47d79b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom