Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old February 1st, 2014, 11:08 PM #1

Chinese Type 53

Thanks to this forum, I am now a designated collector and C&R. My first purchase I went cheap and picked up a type 53 just for fun and get my feet wet. What a nasty ugly greasey piece, cleaned up as well as can be expected for such a cheapo. In the disassembly and clean up I realized it was missing the extractor. Now my question, where to find an extractor and will any Mosin extractor work in this ugly beast. Does anyone at this time think they will increase in value like the SKS that used to be the same price range in the 80s & 90s?. No pics yet as I am afraid it will break my camera.
Runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:15 PM #2

Any extractor is good. It will go up in value but not nearly like the SKS' did.
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:32 PM #3
Degenerate hodler

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
Degenerate hodler

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
The SKS rise was amazing. I wouldn't count on that happening again. But who knows, a lot depends on national policy regarding importation.

“You’re not peaceful if you’re not capable of great violence. Rather, you’re harmless.”
Alphabrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:43 PM #4

Should find them on eBay
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:49 AM #5

Refinish the stock with a varithane and buff it down with steel wool to the desired level, it feels like you're being a bubba, but you'll thank yourself when its something nice instead of something the dog left out back.

From what i've seen a refinish / restore isn't generally frowned upon when the condition is very poor.
Americus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:24 AM #6

The best way to look at the price increase is probably that the T53 will be worth about half of what an M44 is worth.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:51 PM #7
Old Guy

Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americus View Post
Refinish the stock with a varithane and buff it down with steel wool to the desired level, it feels like you're being a bubba, but you'll thank yourself when its something nice instead of something the dog left out back.

From what i've seen a refinish / restore isn't generally frowned upon when the condition is very poor.
Most collectors would rather have an ugly rifle that's original, than a pretty one that's had all of its history and character removed. Many of us don't mind a bit shooting original rifles that look like the dog left it out back. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As always, though, it's your rifle. Just don't expect to get a lot of support from a group like this when you go talking about using varithane, etc., on the stock of even a fairly common piece. It may not be so common in another 30 years.
"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878.
The only thing that I would change about this is to note that it is a constitutional right, and not a privilege.
Machodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:09 PM #8

well this thread is going from looking for an extractor to a debate on refinishing. thanks for the info about what extractor might work and where to find one. I have no intention of completely refinishing this rifle, just an intense clean up and make if functional, not that I am against refinishing just how much time and energy should go into a $100 rifle. this all all about having fun. btw the dog didnt leave it out back, he dug a hole, crapped on it and buried it for the last 50+ years.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:17 PM #9
Old Guy

Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuck View Post
well this thread is going from looking for an extractor to a debate on refinishing. thanks for the info about what extractor might work and where to find one. I have no intention of completely refinishing this rifle, just an intense clean up and make if functional, not that I am against refinishing just how much time and energy should go into a $100 rifle. this all all about having fun. btw the dog didnt leave it out back, he dug a hole, crapped on it and buried it for the last 50+ years.
Your question about an extractor was answered before the thread headed off in other directions. That happens around here.

P.S. ... most of the Chinese carbines look like that. The bring-backs from Viet Nam tended to look like death took a crap on them, and the ones that went through Albania look like death used them for a cosmo suppository. Most collectors would still prefer that, though, to one that someone refinished. (Just look at the difference in value of original v. "sporterized" Enfields, for example. They were once cheap rifles that you could find anywhere, too!)
"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878.
The only thing that I would change about this is to note that it is a constitutional right, and not a privilege.
Machodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:19 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machodoc View Post
Your question about an extractor was answered before the thread headed off in other directions. That happens around here.
Yeah, I was just hoping to nip it in the bud before it stared getting ugly

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)