BCM Video from Shot Show (must see products)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Nice. I was gonna get a Noveske NSR rail, but the BCM rail looks like an even better option. Guess I'll just have to wait until they hit the market. Glad they are coming out with some key mod options too.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    why is a rail game changing? lol

Couple reasons:

1. BCM is working very hard to standardize Keymod across all manufactures.

2. BCM is designing a lot of direct connect Keymod accessories.

3. BCM changed the material used to manufacture a free float handguard in order to create a ultra light weight rail without sacrificing strength by removing a lot of material.

In my opinion, I think you will see Keymod eventually replace 1913 picatinny rail as the industry standard due to the fallowing reasons:

1. Lighter and smaller diameter handguards can be achieved.

2. You can still use 1913 picatinny rail but only in the places you need it.

3. It isn't manufacture specific and does'nt require backing plates or shims like modular handguards.

4. It's much more comfortable to hold than 1913 picatinny rail.

5. Gives you 45 degree mounting options.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I cant watch the vid from work but I watched one yesterday where they showed a tool less keymod vert grip. Is this the same video?

Anyways, that tool less keymod vert grip is awesome!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    It was only a few years ago that NATO adopted the new STANAG 4694 rail; I like the key mod but it will probably be a while before they even consider something new.

For us mall ninjas though, this will probably be the shizzle for the next 15 months...

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Its a game changuh!

a4e4a3ez.jpg

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Couple reasons:

1. BCM is working very hard to standardize Keymod across all manufactures.

2. BCM is designing a lot of direct connect Keymod accessories.

3. BCM changed the material used to manufacture a free float handguard in order to create a ultra light weight rail without sacrificing strength by removing a lot of material.

In my opinion, I think you will see Keymod eventually replace 1913 picatinny rail as the industry standard due to the fallowing reasons:

3. It isn't manufacture specific and does'nt require backing plates or shims like modular handguards.

You and I have different concepts of game changing. I don't think Keymod will ever replace picatinny rail. It's only advantage over other rail systems like the Troy Alpha rails and the like, is the slight universalness of it's attachments and a few ounces of weight savings. And toolless attachments, I can do that with anything on a picatinny rail with just a cam lock.

And the number 1 reason it won't replace pic rail.... You can't (easily) put keymod on the top of your reciever(on a standard AR style receiver at least)

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    What difference does any of that really make to 99% of the market?

It is going to make shooting from a bench more efficient? Prone? 3 gun?

I guess you could argue that someone would fatigue after 4 hours and 45 minutes of holding the rifle instead of 4 hours and 30 minutes. But does that really matter to 99% of the market?

And how many times have you needed to "quick change" from an angled foregrip to a vertical foregrip?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

None of that requires keymod. You can do it with screw-in pictainny rails, which many of us have used successfully for years with YHM and MI (amongst others). You gotta stop letting yourself be blinded by BCM fanboyism. Their keymod handguard is nice and probably a good option for some people, but it's not "game changing".

In fact, there are very, very few people who really need to mount crap all over their handguard. A couple inches of picatinny rails on the sides and maybe half length on the bottom. I don't think I've ever used a handguard top rail outside of very specific circumstances (AKs).

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    None of that requires keymod. You can do it with screw-in pictainny rails, which many of us have used successfully for years with YHM and MI (amongst others). You gotta stop letting yourself be blinded by BCM fanboyism. Their keymod handguard is nice and probably a good option for some people, but it's not "game changing".

In fact, there are very, very few people who really need to mount crap all over their handguard. A couple inches of picatinny rails on the sides and maybe half length on the bottom. I don't think I've ever used a handguard top rail outside of very specific circumstances (AKs).

Top rail can be a good place to mount a weapon light. And of course the obvious use back up irons. But other than that, you nailed it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Top rail can be a good place to mount a weapon light. And of course the obvious use back up irons. But other than that, you nailed it.
    Ugh, great point about the BUIS. So 2-4 inches up front on top of the handguard. (I'm more of a side or far forward guy for weapon lights, personally.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom