• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dieselfool

Jun 19, 2013
    Westminster, Carroll County
    I'm having issues with the slide not locking back on my sr45 after firing the last round from a magazine. I figured it was my mag. But it happens with both. And with one mag. When I reload, the slide racks another round without me dropping the slide release. Seems like a nice "feature" for reloading a tad quicker. But I feel as tho this isn't right.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Many pistols are designed to release the slide and chamber a round when a magazine is inserted. As to the slide not locking back on the last shot are you positive you are not accidently bumping the slide release with your thumb? Insert an empty mag and pull back the slide and see if it locks. Next time you shoot it pay special attention and see if maybe you are inadvertently bumping the slide release.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    What load are you shooting? A light load may be short stroking the slide.

The slide dropping when inserting a fresh mag is probably inertia generated when the slide hold open notch and lug are not fully engaged or from incorrect geometry of the mating surfaces. I'd check loads first, then look for a burr preventing deep engagement of the lug and notch. Make sure the slide stop moves without dragging or binding as wll. Last I would check for proper geometry of the mated parts (hold open lug and notch).

If this pistol uses a mag safety binding or incorrect dimensions of those interfacing parts may cause this issue as well. Anything which prevents the mag follower from pushing the slide stop up into the notch is what you are looking for.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    This may seem obvious but you never know...

Is your thumb riding the slide lock? Might you be unknowingly applying pressure to it?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    MOST likely, you are riding the slide lock with your thumb, if your right handed.
    Because you stated that when you reload another mag, It slides forward, one of two things may be the issue....
    One, your thumb will ride the lock or
    Two, the lock is not engaging fully at all.

I'm going with the thumb ride.

Fire it left handed and see what happens or fire it right handed consciously.

Dieselfool

Jun 19, 2013
    So, since then this is what I found out... I have about 1000 rds through the gun with various different ammunition, including but not limited to, winchester, remington, tula, and many others, including reloads from Freedom Munitions. for the longest time I just dealt with the slide not locking back, until recently. I've been shooting a lot of FM reloads, and seem to have noticed a good bit of the rounds not firing. after waiting a few minutes I would unload the gun, then examine the cartridge. the striker seemed to hit the primer but, not hard enough to fire the round. Shooting those same rounds with a P345 with no problems. Hammer vs. Striker... 1-0, So I called Ruger, and they paid shipping to and from with any repairs free of charge, with "Better Than new" results.

Dieselfool

Jun 19, 2013
    I am left handed, so I was sure that riding the Slide lock wasn't the issue, and with multiple loads that could't have been it either. I opened the Mags and I had and stretched the springs a bit figuring that the follower wasn't holding the latch firm enough to grip the slide. I was correct. It did solve the problem, until I would load 10 rounds in the Mags. then it would be back to the same old slide not locking ordeal.

Dieselfool

Jun 19, 2013
    When I sent Ruger the SR45 it came back with a list of things they replaced, which was equivalent to about EVERYTHING but the slide, barrel, and frame. They also swapped my old mags with 2 brand new ones. I can post a detailed list when I get home this evening as it is quite extensive. it didn't bother me so much because it was all done free of charge. I just hope the problem is solved. Maybe I can like my 45 again...

Dieselfool

Jun 19, 2013
    Okay so... here's the list of Items replaced from Ruger:

Extractor, Guide Rod Assembly, Magazine Latch Thumbpiece, Magazine Disconnect, Slide Stop Assembly, Trigger Assembly, Trigger Bar Lift, Trigger Bar reset, Trigger Bar, Striker Assembly, Ejector, and the Magazines.

They also "repaired" the barrel, not quite sure what that entails, as there's no marks from machining or anything.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Okay so... here's the list of Items replaced from Ruger:

Extractor, Guide Rod Assembly, Magazine Latch Thumbpiece, Magazine Disconnect, Slide Stop Assembly, Trigger Assembly, Trigger Bar Lift, Trigger Bar reset, Trigger Bar, Striker Assembly, Ejector, and the Magazines.

They also "repaired" the barrel, not quite sure what that entails, as there's no marks from machining or anything.

Damn seems like a nice little overhaul, or maybe some parts that were "improved" and they just replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom