• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I have mosin that was two toned (not to be confused with 80's signerTommy Two-Tone) and it was driving me nuts.
    I tried my hand at spot refinishing.
    Here's the before:
    707p.jpg

Here's the after:
    n2ia.jpg

So your thoughts?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Did you paint over the wall outlets?
    Be prepared to be met with 2 sides of the fence. Maybe 3 sides :)
    I see the stain on the table, did you strip, stain and then shellac?
    That looks like a war time stock, did you re-stain the rest of the stock?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I would have left it,but to each his own. I have no problem with the mismatched color, and original is (usually) better IMO. Did you leave the barrel bands on while staining it? It looks like you may have just covered the whole damn front section in stain...

DennisCA

I would have left it,but to each his own. I have no problem with the mismatched color, and original is (usually) better IMO. Did you leave the barrel bands on while staining it? It looks like you may have just covered the whole damn front section in stain...

Didn't take it apart (too much hassle) and yes I did do the the whole section (including the rest of the stock - it looked better)
    (Not the barrel bands though):rolleyes:

At least I didn't do this to it:
    xnbu.jpg

:)

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Didn't take it apart (too much hassle) and yes I did do the the whole section (including the rest of the stock - it looked better)
    (Not the barrel bands though):rolleyes:

I have a light colored stock with a dark top cover, we should've traded :lol2:

Do you have any pictures that are a bit further away, it's kind of hard to make out what the stock looks like without any reference to the whole.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I refinished my Mosin last winter and could not be happier on the outcome of the project. Many gave advice on how to remove the lacquer finish, most processes gave less than the results I was looking for. Scouring my paint cabinet I found a full can of acetone. Bingo! The acetone easily removed the finish right down to bare wood. I had removed the stock from the action previously. Light sanding, iron over a wet rag, little more sanding, application of wood sealant, couple coats of wood stain to attain the desired darkness, and then 7 coats of hand rubbed Tung oil (Formby's). It looks fantastic now, looks as good as it shoots. Going to pick up a few more of these great guns.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Denatured Alcohol removes the shellac finish.
    I spent a bunch of time refinishing a replacement stock for my PU sniper to be the "range stock" of that rifle. I went so far as tried to dupe a post war refinish and purchased alcohol based die that works with Bullseye shellac. Way more trouble than its worth if you were just changing color of a hand guard though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom